Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Weather...whaddaya gonna do?

I am so helpful. I not only predict incoming storms, but I make sure that you don't accidentally sleep through it.


OK, this Sheep is ready to either buy a Hummer or move! This morning's little weather event made for quite the hairy commute to work. Over the years, I have had a number of different jobs and most have involved a commute of at least 30 minutes, generally more like an hour. I've seen my share of rough driving. This morning ranked right up there among the worst. None of the schools in the southern portion of the state really needed to cancel; it was going to be ending early in the day and none of the forecasts looked like it was going to be that big a drama. (More on that in a tick) However, the roads were like ice rinks and accidents were plentiful. I had to take a pretty significant detour just before my school due to a nasty wreck, thus making me later than I was already. Buses were running behind, teachers were stressed, parents were anxious...such a fun way to start the day.

The whole thing was made worse by The Sheep's self-proclaimed "weather vibe." I'm usually pretty good at predicting cancellations. Once I'm familiar with a school district, I can generally extrapolate the outcome after a few checks on the forecast. I did really badly on this one. Early forecasts looked promising for a day at home. I know, I know, never count on these things, always pack a lunch, do your homework, I had a mother, I heard it all. But there's a big difference between the "logic" part of your brain and the "I'm really just a 9 year old who wants to stay home and watch cartoons" part. In addition, Mommy's little "weather pixie" gets awfully excited prior to any kind of low pressure system. Persephone made sure that I was aware of the incoming precipitation by howling incessantly and making long-jumps from the floor to my stomach while I attempted to ignore my snow-day excitement and actually try to sleep. I gave up around 1:00 or so and took a peek at Ye Olde Weather Channel. It was then that I realized that the forecast had changed somewhat and that there was no way I was going to get a day off.

Sigh! I had hoped for a WIP organization day! I need to take a look at what I have going right now and make some decisions regarding what qualifies as a "must do NOW," what could be called a "back burner for the time being," and what needs to be relegated to the "oh for God's sake, give up already" category. Perhaps I'll get to that on Friday after I visit with good old Dr. DeSade, DMD for my next round of torture. It's not like I'll be able to leave the house with 37 gallons of ineffective novacaine in my face. (ineffective due to it's ability to numb my lips and cheeks, but not the nerves in the actual teeth)

Well, I'm off to do the reading for day three of my training tomorrow. I'm just tired enough that some of this might actually make some sense. Hopefully, I'll incorporate all of it and still have some room left in my brain for the synapses to process the correct turn to get to the training site. I've missed it twice now!!!!!

SA


1 comment:

mrichme said...

Is your weather vibe calling for an early or late June? Just think days in the winter is one less day when the weather is better.

The good thing about Blogging is the idea you can have 37 gallons of novicane in you and despite the pain in the teeth you can blog. Video-blogging would be a little difficult.

In the end we can at least say we made it over "hump day" the rest of the week is downhill from here. Hopefully downhill is not a metaphor for behaviors at work.