Saturday, January 14, 2006

It's Curly, But Is It Whirly?

All sorts of goodies came for The Sheep in the mail this week. Several Ebay purchases came through (purchased sweaters, if you can imagine...what, you're thinking I'm going to finish one any time soon???) And:




New bobbins to help fill the lazy kate!!!
Normally, Sheepie's Daddy buys her spinning wheel accessories. As a former Industrial Arts teacher, he enjoys the assembly, sanding, finishing and all the other woodcraft-related stuff that goes with that. It's his little way of involving himself in his daughter's hobby. He's not what you'd call the "crafty" type. However, as Daddy is now comfortably ensconced in his Florida home he is less available to take care of these things for me. Don't tell him, but I sort of enjoy that stuff myself and will be hitting the hardware store for Tung Oil over the weekend to put a finish on these to match the wheel.
My first day of training was a true snore. However, the Curly Whirly scarf is complete!

Yup, she's curly and whirly!


Here's the deal: I knit it on size 9 circulars using Classic Elite La Gran Mohair. BTW: when purchasing what you think is "black," try taking a stroll past a window or an Ott lamp. It's probably "purple." Whatever...I like it. As stated earlier, I can't recall the blog from whence this came and am super sorry to the original author. I'm posting the pattern anyway:

Cast on 120 stitches

Row1: Knit

Row 2: K1, inc 1 stitch to last, K1

Rows 3 and 4: Repeat 1 and 2

Rows 5- at least 8. (more if so desired) knit

A couple of notes: I probably would have made this wider given that I prefer that in a scarf, however I only had two skeins of this particular yarn. It worked quite well for a thinner scarf. Also, the sheer number of stitches on the needle can lead to fairly tight stitches. (even for The Sheep who knits very loosely) Thus, I kept little to no tension on the yarn to prevent everything from becoming tighter than a failed dieter's grip on a cupcake. Otherwise, this was a fun and quick project. I might resort to this one during the next holiday knitting push. A longer version would make a great stole...

The Sheep had big plans to get out today to purchase more yarn for Son of Skinny Scarf, however a quick peek out the window put a stop to that in short order. The wind is a-howlin' and the rain is a-pourin' and this Sheep is dry clean only. We'll wait on this little errand.

Stay Warm, Stay Dry, Stay In And Eat Chocolate!

SA

No comments: