Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Phun At The Pharmacy...

First of all, let me state clearly and for the record: I understand that being a pharmacist means more than just putting pills into bottles. It is a highly specialized job that requires a great deal of training, education and ongoing study. You need "knowledge." And 99% of that knowledge is the stuff that keeps me from dying or growing third eye. It is truly more than just putting pills into bottles.

But you gotta understand what it looks like from my side of the counter. Especially after a long day.

It can be harder to remember what you know about the job when you are told that it will be a 25 minute wait, (which is more than reasonable) and you head out to run a few errands only to return 25 minutes later to learn that your prescription is still sitting exactly where the technician left it when she took it from your happy little hands. It becomes harder still when you realize that you are dealing with the same pharmacist who spoke, um, well..."harshly" to you during your last visit because your doctor neglected to put their DEA # of the 'scrip. (and believe you me, I made sure that multi-digit number was there this time, lemme tellya!) The act of remembering becomes almost impossible when you factor in that you pulled your back today while picking up a notebook that had been thrown to the floor in anger and are feeling old and rickety because you are being forced to admit that it was less about the actual action than the result of having chosen cute shoes that do not support your ancient ligaments.

So if the other lady and I who were stuck waiting for another 20 minutes opted to spend the time heckling the pharmacy staff, well, you'll just have to forgive us. If it helps, I don't feel all that good about myself... For what its worth, the pharmacy people seemed to take it in good humor and I'm pretty sure that I don't have a pill bottle full of rat poison or laxatives.

But, you know what can turn any kind of day around? Yarn!!! And if it happens to be yarn won in a contest drawing, well that's so much the better isn't it? Now, I normally use the big, fluffy kitty as a distraction from unfinished knitting or to draw the eye away from the unsightly errors I so often make. Please know that this was not the case here and that numerous attempts were made to take a kitty-free photo.



She was having none of it...
Persephone is truly a knitter's cat. What can I say? She was just completely mesmerized by the beauty of the sock yarn from La's Laboratory that came to me courtesy of Noolie and her Light The Night Walk donation contest. I was privileged to be able to contribute to such a worthy cause and thrilled to have some super-soft yarn and a little snack to enjoy with the knitting. Can you guess the name of the colorway? Good candy, great yarn color!!!
So I end the day with medications in hand and new yarn if not a spring in my step thanks to the little back twinge. That's OK...I don't knit with my back anyway.
Off to hug some yarn and load up my daily pill dispenser. Life is good!
SA

8 comments:

sheep#100 said...

Did I ever tell you that I retired from the practice of pharmacy back in '99? What a sucky deal I left.

Shelly said...

I read the top of your post, looked at the pic and thought, "Wow...prescription Good and Plenty?

Never mind--I'm such a dope...

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the yarn got to you okay. I know how the kittie feels; let me tell you, it was hard to put that yarn in the envelope! La did such a wonderful job on it - glad you like it.

April said...

Ooo, I love that yarn!

Gimme that cat.

Sheila said...

That yarn looks good enough to eat, and the kitty needs some snuggles from Auntie Sheila, yesh she doesh!
Oh, sorry about that.

mehitabel said...

Don't know if I covet the yarn or the cat more. Not that I don't have a covey of adorable furs here, but hey, they don't call me the Krazy Kat Lady of Temple City for nothing! But that yarn...mmmm!

Anonymous said...

Yummy yarn and yummy snack! Lucky you.
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

Anonymous said...

Dear P, You certainly look enchanted by your Meomie's yarn....they do need to amuse themselves somehow, dont they???

I still prefer hair tugging but wool will do in a pinch.

Headbonks, The Mitz