Monday, October 02, 2006

The Feline Is Pleased...With You Guys, Anyway.

Persephone asks that I extend her heartfelt, "thanks" for your kind words with regard to her general cuteness. She needed the boost. Her ego has been smarting of late. Sometimes a Mommy has to be tough on her babies. While my eyes may be somewhat blind to many of her shortcomings, I have been unable to avoid the obvious. It had to be said.

My cat has gotten fat.

There. I said it. She is significantly larger than she used to was. I got me a flabby tabby. I don't see how this happened.

There is so much irony going on here that it is ridiculous. To the casual observer, she actually looks no different. Many a would-be cat snuggler has picked Persephone up only to be deceived by her massive amount of fur. They would fairly fling her over their shoulders as they hefted her up anticipating a larger beast. And she manages to hork up at least half her size in hairballs on a weekly basis. She really shouldn't be quite so large, I'm quite sure of this. Any yet I seem to be living with a furry little fireplug...

I have to admit that she has slowed down somewhat in the last few years. Like all of us here at Chez Sheep, she is getting a bit long in the tooth. While I don't think she is eating any more than she used to, I'm guessing that her more "relaxed" ways are taking their toll.

I need to get a tiny little treadmill...

But, alas, there is little to do, here. She is my baby. And, even if I found the strength to tell her the truth about her girth, I am unable to really deny her much of anything. She came into my life as a rescued cat and wasn't well cared for, I'm afraid. It is my mission to make the second half of her life all catnip and kibble. In return, bless the little mite, she has made it her duty to attend to my knee warming needs and help me talk on the phone. She's a pretty good little critter to have around the house even if she's currently taking up more space in it.

And the best part? She never, ever chases the yarn.





...mostly

SA

10 comments:

Sheila said...

What a sweet puff of fluff!
Most critters, be they human, sheep, cat, or what-have-you, slow down and add to their girth. You could try cutting back on the size of her meals and adding more catnip stuffed toys in the hopes that she won't notice, but I should think some of that growth is just normal aging (or maybe I'm trying to justify my own gain in girth).

Anonymous said...

Oh dear P!!!! Not a treadmill, say it aint so....your Meowmie MUST be joking.

If I may offer my assistance, the following is an aerobics routine that has helped to keep me svelte and very frisky. Hope this helps. I really want you to live out all of your 9 lives and then some. I plan to be pulling Meowmie's hair for MANY years to come.Snort....

Headbonks, Your new Personal Trainer (if ya want me!!) The Mitz

http://veggiesyarnsandtails.wordpress.com/2006/05/28/mitz-aerobics-back-by-popular-demand/

sheep#100 said...

She looks like such a sweetie.

Anonymous said...

She's adorable no matter what size she is!

April said...

There is no animal more worthy of spoiling than a cat.

Lazuli said...

She is a cute little fluffy kitty!

My vet recently said that "this 11.2 pound kitty should be more of a 10 pound kitty..."

This Weary Traveler said...

We all get a little thick around the middle as we age. She looks so happy. If she has any mice catching abilities she is invited here to teach my big fat cat. That would slim her down.

Anonymous said...

Persephone is a lovely kitty. Maybe if she cuts back on the kitty snacks she'll have her old figure back. My MIL has a toy for her cat that is a feather thing on a stick. The grandchildren love to tease, no, exercise the cat with it. On second thought, Persephone is probably too dignified for that.
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

debsnm said...

We loves our kitties! I long for the days when all my cats left my yarn alone. Fortunately for the culprit, she's so darned cute that I can forgive anything she does to the yarn (while trying desperately to keep it out of harm's way).

Anonymous said...

She is adorable!

I have a big red cat (there are no little red cats unless they are kittens) and a too thin, neurotic gray striped cat. I'm waiting for vet #1 to ask me to put big red cat on a diet, when vet #2 needs me to feed anorexic brother gray cat a zillion times a day. It will be fun!

Seriously, I think all cats need the exercise for their minds, as well as their bodies, when they are indoor-only.