Thursday, October 19, 2006

Insert Dopey Grin Here

The original plan for today's post was a lengthy rant on the subject of the Project Runway finale. While I remain ready to "let rip," it occurred to me that some folks may not have caught it yet. I will give you all a minute to "TiVo up" and then I will share my opinion. It is a good rant, full of pithy observations and social commentary. Look me up over the weekend. Methinks you'll enjoy.

I then got a hankerin' to go into the trials of my day today. I was going to moan about having to get yet another chest x-ray at 8:15 in the morning and how they've gotten so repetitious that I'm not even intimidated by the potential findings anymore. I was then privileged to experience two hours in the doctor's office. There is now a yard and a half of skin that is no longer on my torso courtesy of a biopsy that ended up being a bit more "aggressive" than originally planned. While I exaggerate about the amount, I'm still bleeding so I feel somewhat entitled. But she didn't weigh me and that was my true worry so I suppose that everything is still operating in the "credit" column at this point. And I no longer have to contemplate removing a limb to get rid of those extra ten pounds. They are currently on their way to the lab as samples.

But, here's the thing: an evening where you get to stay up an hour later to watch TV and a day of medical appointments adds up to a heck of a lot of knitting time. By the time I left Dr. Slice-Alot's office I had finished a Sock Of Immense Proportions. And given that I already had one at home in the "finished" basket that means:


We have a pair!
These little beauties (and I use the word "little"somewhat loosely here) are brought to you in their entirety by the generous April. She gifted me with a prize a while back that included not only the yarn, but the needles upon which they were knit. Picture me on the next snow-day, home from school and having just come in from digging out my car. I'll be singing the "April Is The Greatest" song as I slip on my soft, warm and super cuddly socks.
So despite a few glitches like bleeding, wondering whether I will be able to wear my usual support-giving underpinnings tomorrow or if I will just have to risk scarring a few pre-teen boys for life, I'm just too full of the "happy" to be bothered.
Is there anything better than a new pair of handknit socks?
SA

20 comments:

Julie said...

You finish a pair of socks on the day I rip mine back to the heel flaps. There is great, cosmic irony in there. Somewhere.

Lucky.

sheep#100 said...

Nothing better than handknit socks. Except some people tell me wheels are like that too.

Anonymous said...

Love the socks! Very nice & cozy.

Can't wait for the pithy analysis of PR. :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome socks!! Hope you have a restful evening with the kitties and heal very soon.

Your analysis of medical procedures just cracks me up, but maybe I shouldn't read it before I go to medical appointments. Dr. Slice-Alot is too scary for words.

missemilysmom said...

Please share the Project Runway opinion... I did not catch it my Nyquil kicked in... I am not sure what happened!! But my Michael did not win!!

missemilysmom said...

i am sorry it is Mychael Knight... not Michael!

:0)

Anonymous said...

The only thing that comes close to a new pair of handknit socks is a Dr's visit with no weigh in! And to have both in the same day - pure heaven. Isn't it funny how getting the dreaded weigh in can cause more anxiety than the appt. itself?

Anonymous said...

A pair, a pair!!!! It gives hope to all those single 'I'll-get-around-to-making-you-a-sweetheart someday' tootsie warmers we all have floating ominously at the bottom of the 'every-intention-of-finishing-one-day' basket. Pop open the champers! (Great colour)

Knittymama said...

After a day like that, a pair of socks just about makes it worth it:-) They are so pretty!

Lorraine said...

I look forward to your bound to be hilarious rant about PR and Jeffrey the Jerk, as he's known at our house. Love the socks. Green's my latest fave color.

Sheila said...

I love the socks- so cozy looking.
I have a dental CT scan in the morning to see if a wisdom tooth truly can be removed from a 40 year old mouth without causing permanent neural damage...wish me luck!

April said...

Yay - the socks look beautiful! I knew you'd do a great job with that yarn.

Do I get the cat now?

Brandie said...

Love the socks!
You are so nice ... I talked abotu the winner on my blog without even thinking some people didn't watch it yet :X Oops.
Can't wait to see what you have to say about it though! I'll be back to see =)

Sorry about the biopsy though :-( I'll be hoping that it's nothing bad.

Anonymous said...

Picturing a yard and a half of skin coming off your torso is rather alarming. I'm glad it was less than that, but anything seems like too much. I hope the results of everything are good.

The result of your sock knitting is obviously good! I like the way your socks turned out.

Anonymous said...

Lovely socks!
Hope your results are fine!
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

catsmum said...

damn and double damn :] Now that you've finished the SOIP I have no excuse left not to start sock #2 of Nadie's Alpaca sox.
hoping for a good result from the biopsy.
gentle hugz [ cos I don't know where the yard-and-a-half is missing from ]

Anonymous said...

Nuthin' better than handknit sockies for the hooves!

hillary said...

You are so much more restarined tham I am. I was really irritated by the PR finale and posted right away. Jeffrey is such a jerk. Although Michael was my favorite, I think that Uli or Laura should have won.

Anonymous said...

Your hooves never looked better Sheep. Great job and VERY fast too, I am impressed.


Huggs, G

Lazuli said...

Your socks look wonderful and cozy! I hope you feel better soon and that all is well!