Monday, October 09, 2006

Lemony Fresh!

It's Columbus Day here in the US. 'Tis a day where 50% of the population takes the day off to celebrate the historical documentation of the fact that no man will ask for directions no matter how lost he might be.

The Sheep is one of those lucky celebrants who gets a holiday today and is mighty grateful for the time off. I even managed to come up with some thoughts for how to spend my extra day of freedom.

Before I get too much further into this, I should probably let you all in on one small, but vital, piece of information. The Sheep ran out of meds. Well, there is one left, but we're judiciously saving that one. Personally, I think I'm just a heck of a lot more grins and giggles without my Concerta. As long as you're not depending on me to pay a bill, get to work or drive you to the hospital, ADD can be fun for the whole family. But the charm wears off quickly, even for me. Basically my whole life can be pared down to these two utterances: "Ooooooo! I have an idea!!!" and "Who's stupid idea was this anyway?"

Thus, it is probably not all that shocking that I decided to do a little housecleaning today and that giving the kitchen floor a "good, old-fashioned, hands 'n knees scrubbing" should be the first order of the day. Now, I've never actually done this before. Sure, I've mopped and will wipe up the occasional spill (after a fashion). So I didn't really know just where to start with this type of operation. But I've seen some pictures and it didn't look all that hard really. Near as I could tell I would need a bucket, scrubby-brush-thingie, high heels, full skirt with petticoat and pearls.

Did I mention that these were pictures from the 50's? Probably not. At any rate, I didn't have the skirt and pearls but I sort of figured those might be optional. As it turns out, I also didn't have the bucket or the scrubby-brush-thingie but that I knew I could get at the grocery store. And we all know how well I typically do at the grocery store!

By 10:00 this morning, I had assembled what I felt were the necessary items for the floor scrubbing. I proceeded to begin sloshing large amounts of lemon-scented water around then crawling through it in search of grime.

Gotta say, I'm really not all that sure just what the appeal of this activity might be. Near as I can tell, all you really get out of the experience is half a shiny floor that smells like lemons and fully irritated felines with feet that smell like lemons. And, believe me now, there is no amount of reasoning that will convince a cat that you really need to rinse their feet.

I'm simply stumped as to why those well-coiffed ladies in the pictures looked so darned pleased with themselves. Maybe they didn't have cats. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Maybe I really did need the heels and pearls. Either way, I abandoned the activity early on. (hence the reason behind half a shiny floor...)

Who's stupid idea was this anyway?????

In knitting news, I've reached the heel flap on sock #2, but put it aside at that point in order that I might focus more on the Chevron Stripes Towel. I sort of broke my promise that I would only knit for the holidays during the weekends when I opted to work on the sock during bowling this Saturday. I also cast on for a Feather And Fan scarf, but we've had a little tantrum with that and there will be no further discussion of the matter until I've reknit it back to where it was when I began the ripping and cussing.

The doctor's office will reopen on Wednesday. Things will get a bit more on track at that point!

SA

11 comments:

mrichme said...

Sheepish, do we need to have an intervention when it comes to completing projects? At first it was your craft projects now it is the floor. What is next?

Sheepish, we are gathered here today because we are all your friends and we are concerned that you're exhibiting behaviors that scare us. We think you need some help. Let us help you.

:)

Sheila said...

Your heart was in the right place with the floor scrubbing, but now we know that knitting is much more satisfying than freshly scrubbed floors.
I wonder what muscles will be sore in the morning from the scrubbing effort?!

Anonymous said...

At least you got half the floor done - I don't usually get past the thinking stage when it comes to doing some major cleaning project.

sheep#100 said...

I gotta say, Sheep without meds is sort of like overtired trek on overdrive - funny but the audience wonders what will happen when it ends...

April said...

Washing a floor is a foolproof way to get a cat to puke.

This Weary Traveler said...

Scrubbed floors are overrated. I think those women in the pictures were hitting the bottle by 10 am. I do the same kind of things in a Graves frenzy sometimes. It usually involves taking the contents of an entire closet apart and then I get bored.

Anonymous said...

I washed half my floor today, too. Funny...

As for the pearls and high heels...I used to have an old Betty Crocker cookbook that said "A clever wife has a cool cocktail waiting for her husband when he gets home from work." Ha! That still makes me laugh. Was that really reality?!

Mia said...

i don't think there IS such a thing as scrubbed floors in egypt.. ya gotta make your priorities, just sayin...

knit on sheepie!

Anonymous said...

Floor scrubbing is overrated.
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

Cursing Mama said...

I'm all a twitter with the prospect of a shiny lemony fresh kitchen floor (and cat paws too). I might have a bit of a "clean thing".

I can smell my bottle of pinesol from here.......

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh...Sheep in pearls/housedress/chignoned hair....with mop in hand, what a sight that would have been, even via Blogland. LOL

I am SURE the felines were not happy with the cleaning going on, thats for sure, the Mitz HATES housecleaning day!!! Its usually the only day we crank up the CD's too, yikes, two times scorned!!!

I think the Sheep's posts are just as good, without meds, my personal preference for everyone anyways. NOT a drug fan unless it happens to be life and death time.

Huggs, G