Tuesday, October 10, 2006

One Cool Sheep...

Another sock has died an untimely death here at Casa de Sheepie. There was yet another heel flap issue, this time involving a "to slip or not to slip" sort of situation. I'm thinking that there might have been a split in the yarn which resulted in some confusion as to what was a stitch and what was just a figment of my imagination.

As I was never all that thrilled with the join at the top of the cuff, I just said a hearty, "screw it" and frogged the whole thing. You'd think I'd be a bit more upset over the whole matter.

But I didn't miss a beat. Whatever, dude... The world doesn't turn based on whether or not I have two socks with which to cover my feet. It'll get done. But not tonight. I'm thinking that I will switch up the plan and do the holiday knitting during the week just for a snort and a giggle. For several weeks now I have been reserving the weekend for Christmas gifts and the like, leaving weeknights free for my own little Sock-o-rama. I'm feeling all reckless and stuff, though. Gotta love free will! I'm gonna work on a towel and a scarf and there ain't no one to tell me I can't.

I suppose the whole devil-may-care attitude may come from having received a certified letter today. Actually, the slip was put in my box last week, but I sort of chose to ignore it at that point. I've never had good news come via certified mail. And it seemed unlikely that, while I recover financially from my recent interruption in the paycheck cycle, this was going to be word from someone who just wanted to wish me a cheery, "how-de-doo" and perhaps offer me a jet ski. No, it was far more realistic to think that I might have missed a bill somewhere in there and that this was going to be something in the form of "chastisement."

Sadly, one can only avoid the US Mail for so long. They are persistent little buggers. I had little choice but to respond to their latest notice and go face what I thought might be bitter music. Turns out the letter was just from some company that wants to build some stupid thing in my area and was forced to mail us all letters with regard to environmental impact and possible mental stress. It seems they are having an informational meeting soon.

I may go to the meeting and stage a protest just to pay them back for all they angst. I'll make up signs that say, "Save the endangered Yankee Sheep!" and march around whipping up public sympathy. That'll teach 'em to make me drive all the way to the post office thinking that I have to come up with yet another "valid reason" for nonpayment of something that I don't actually remember having.

But I'm not going to. The Big Bad Building Men In Suits have taught me the meaning of "perspective." We are stress-free on the sock issue. For that, I'll give them a pass.

This time...

SA

7 comments:

sheep#100 said...

I had the same sort of heart-stopping pain last week when a notice came from the courthouse. It was just telling me that the court date for the guy who hit my van was delayed a couple of weeks. Whew!

Anonymous said...

Let's here it for the Sock OMMMMMMM.....all is well!!!!

Have a great night Sheep and I can relate re: the mail. Sometimes though, there can be a surprise here and there.

Huggs,G

Anonymous said...

And then sometimes I worry when I don't get mail. In the past few weeks, we haven't received a birthday card for S from his parents, a shower invitation from my cousin, and a bill from the hospital. Where's it all going and what else have I missed? Hmmm...

Lazuli said...

I'm glad the letter was nothing serious!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the sock but ripping can be freeing!
Glad the letter wasn't too bad. The post office has taken a bad rap being the bearer of bad news. Remember they are just as happy to deliver a check as a bill.
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

Lorraine said...

Smite away, Sheepish. When the humble will not submit, they must be chastised. Love the towel, though, and it is so close to done.

catsmum said...

I'm with you sheepy. Had my own Pharmacy Phun today. Dropped the script in, was told ten minutes [ and this was for my migraine meds which for all they knew I needed RIGHT NOW ] returned after 15 ... and waited for at least another 10. No apology for the wait either... but... as I sat there and read a knitting mag, perhaps it was okay.