Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Beating The System.

In an effort to take charge of several situations, The Sheep roused herself a bit earlier this morning. She layered herself in her warmest of garments in order that she might combat the arctic chill that has gripped her teaching environment over the past two days. It was either that or begin to keep a journal that could later be made into a blockbuster movie detailing the lengths to which a Sheep will go to survive the public school system's harsh climate.

She then marched to her vehicle where she proceeded to strike back at boring drive time radio drivel by loading the CD player with an audio book. It's one she's read before, but an enjoyable listen all the same. And the readers voice? So very soothing...

Yes, I was a warm and snuggly Sheep speeding down the Maine Turnpike today, a little bit tired from the morning's extra activity but generally pleased with myself. I was, in fact, so warm and engrossed in my little audio tale as told by the velvet tongued reader that I managed to successfully lull myself into an exit-missing stupor.

Yup. Drove right by it. The same exit I have taken without fail for four years now. Don't even recall seeing it...

Those of you familiar with the area will realize the issues involved with missing the Wells exit as you head southbound. You are sort of locked into the southern trajectory at that point. You will be going to York whether you want to or not. Unless you are braver than I and can do that u-turn thing where it says, "no u-turn," you're going the extra eleven miles. And you're paying the extra $1.75. Twice since you need to get back on the turnpike to go eleven miles north again and your EZ pass doesn't reach that far.

That, combined with the fact that it was a lovely mild day in southern Maine today that required nothing remotely resembling snuggly layers of clothing, made for a rough start. Toss in the first round of Parent/Teacher conferences after school and you've got a long day in the works. A long warm day that cost $3.50 more than it should have not counting the gas and the bag of chocolate/peanut butter flavored popcorn that I had to buy on the way home to combat the grumpies.

The popcorn was also something of a judgment error as I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and somehow need to lose ten pounds in the next twelve hours. I'm thinking of cutting off a limb...

Perhaps I need some sock knitting time. We are well past the part of the sock where things tend to go horrifically wrong so this could make for a nice evening. Hey, I could even scoot down to the truck and grab the last CD so I can listen to the end of that book tonight!

We won't be listening to it on the workday commute again, that's for sure!!

SA

14 comments:

sheep#100 said...

Oh bother!

Better luck tomorrow, Sheepish One!

catsmum said...

I think some yarn fondling is in order

This Weary Traveler said...

I thought I was the only one who did stuff like this! I sometimes just get so engrossed in my own thoughts I miss my exit. If this happens on my way to the airport, I am across the river and in St. Paul before I know it.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, what a pain! Listening to audio books does sometimes worry me. I'm afraid I'll be engrossed and end up leaving a trail of crashed cars and hurt people and not even know it.

Good luck with the conferences!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, the old "miss the Wells exit" trick. I've done that many times!

Anonymous said...

Of all the exits to miss, missing the Wells exit going south is the worst - what with that added cost! I have been known to drive and drive and drive and all of a sudden realize that I DO NOT REMEMBER the last 10 or 15 miles of driving. At all. Totally blank. It's kind of scary.

Anonymous said...

Oh no. I hate when things like that happen.
Good luck at the doctor.
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

Cursing Mama said...

So what limb got the axe? I'm guessing you kept the arms for the knitting.

Mia said...

Hey, do you believe i took a bag of chocolate peanut butter popcorn to Egypt with me..? there are some things you just can't leave home without!

Dudleyspinner said...

I have missed an exit engrossed looking at the neat cloud pattern in the sky heading west. They don't call it interstate hypnosis for nothin!
Deb

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...do let me know if you find the right diet to accomplish the 10 pound in 12 hour goal you wish....LOL.

You are brave soul to be breezing down the turnpike Sheep, Im a 'chicken' on all highways, sad but true. Give me a 747 and a handsome pilot in charge, any day.

If you feel the need for snacks, my cookie post today MAY suffice and very low cal. indeedy!!!!


Huggs, G

Anonymous said...

PS: Yes, but it is VERY lo-cal comfort 'food' I am offering today, yes???
LOL...

A good idea, cookie recipe post, coming up soon...

There is a new yarn post too, would that work for now??? Right below fav. cookie.


HUGGS , G

Anonymous said...

What a day the Sheep had!!! I miss the exit on our connector every once in a while, but at least they don't charge me for being oblivious and thinking about too many other things besides driving!! Don't you think we should all have a "I'm a resident and just made a mistake" pass?!

Thank you to Persephone and Desdemona (LOVE their names) for their comments to Charlie. He is sending their invite to the next Catsa meeting, if they're not already members in Maine!!! He liked their sneaky way of thinking.

Mel said...

I'm glad I don't have to exit at Wells or I might do the same thing. Of course, even years ago when I commuted between Portland and Winslow, I always managed to get off at the right exit, even after a 15 hour shift and not remembering the entire drive between Portland and Gardiner.

So do you work at Wells Middle School? I have a friend who works there.