Saturday, October 28, 2006

More On Biking...And Darkness.

The Sheep has been sitting in her darkened condo today while Armageddon rages outside. We are having a little "weather event" that has showered us with buckets of rain and winds somewhere around 60 mph. Suffice it to say, the power went out pretty early in the day. I sorta suspected that this might be the case and ran all my errands at a ridiculously early hour and set up a variety of little projects that could be completed without electricity.

You know how you always say you're going to do all this great stuff when you don't have all the mod. cons? I had great hopes for knitting, spinning and perhaps even getting some Merino blended with the metallic gold that my stylist requested for her holiday handwarmers.

I did very little of this.

Instead, I got all antsy and spent some quality time worrying about the stuff in the freezer and whether it was growing some new strain of bacteria that will kill me when I try to eat it. A few inches on the Feather And Fan Scarf is all I have to report.

And even that wasn't exactly something upon which I could focus. Around 1:00 or so I started up this cool little brain movie that featured The Sheep on some public access channel hosting her very own exercise show. She was seated on a threadbare couch, pedaling away on her little bike and knitting a never-ending Chevron Stripes Towel. Instead of the usual training-type patter, she was publicly obsessing over whether she had enough pairs of underwear to last through the winter and telling everyone they could quit after just one more row!

I have an odd, but rich fantasy life...

At any rate, I am so pleased to hear that my story of A Sheep and her wee little bike has been helpful to folks out there. In answer to a few of the questions and comments, I'll elaborate a bit further. Nuthin' I loves more than the elaboratin'!!!

As I mentioned, I found the bike that resides in Chez Sheep through Ebay. I honestly don't know the brand name or manufacturer, but can help you out with that in just a sec. I browsed through the fitness section using search words like, "fitness pedaler," "miniature bike," and the like. There were multiple listings and it was really a matter of finding a blue one. I like blue...

Oh, and then there were the finances. I was coming off a short unemployment stint and was paying off a few things at the time. Thus, I had to work within a certain budget. I chose to go with what looked like a mid-range model. It is a plastic housing with a tension band that controls the resistance and a battery operated calorie/distance counter and timer. Pretty basic, although there were others even more minimalistic.

To be perfectly honest, had cost not been a consideration I might have chosen a sturdier model. The one I have does tend to slip a bit on certain surfaces when I'm really whipping along, but that problem was handily solved with a non-slip mat. The only problem I've had with it other than that is a pedal falling off. I put it back on. Problem solved and never repeated. Even if my little bike were to fall into littler pieces tomorrow, I would feel pretty secure in having gotten my money's worth. It has been used regularly for almost three years and has done it's duty honorably. When I replace it, though, I will probably look for one that is heavier. Now that I know it is something I will use regularly, I will feel less guilty spending a few more dollars. That said, I would recommend this model to anyone who wanted to try it.

Funny thing, though. I've never once seen this bike outside Ebay. I was at a loss as to where else I could send people to find this item should they want one for their very own selves. But, it seems we have a super-sleuth in our midst!

Geraldine sent me an email this morning asking if this was, by any chance, the same bike that has supported my Sheepie hooves lo these many years. Imagine my surprise! She found it!!! Seriously...if you've lost something or have a need to apprehend some well-hidden criminal or something, ask Geraldine!!! I bow to her superior sleuthing skills. She cooks, she crafts, she writes...and she's a detective. Who knew??? Thanks, G!

I'm going to do a quick edit on this post then get it up on them internets while I still have the power to do so. The wind is whipping pretty impressively out there and I don't want to have to re-type this! Here's hoping that tomorrow I have more in the way of knitting progress to share with you all.

Maybe I should try riding the bike for a while...

SA

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you don't lose your power, and can get lots of knitting done! I always look forward to those days, but when they do come, I'm usually vacuuming up water, or trying to figure out what to do with the bacteria-laden frozen foods, LOL, before they defrost...

aija said...

I wanted to thank you again, I bought a mini bike from ebay myself today :) Cleaning out under my desk for it as I type :)

Anonymous said...

I lost power this morning right after taking a shower and BEFORE drying my hair! This meant I had to go to work at the gym with flat hair! Of course Hubby called to say the power came back on about 1 minute (honestly, 1 minute) after I got to work. Figures! Hopefully we won't lose it again tonight.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's some impressive CV Im accumulating in Sheepland. As the private detectives of the 70-80's era use to say, 'that's 50 bucks a day, plus expenses'. And this detective will travel.....LOL

Glad I could help.

Super Sleuth G aka Veggie Cook aka Geraldine

molly said...

I believe I've been experiencing the same Nor'easter that caused your power outtage. Miserable weather, but we still have electricity, which is a shame because it meant that I had to let my daughter go to a rock concert in Manhattan after all. Not my favorite thing to let her do, what with the crowd surfing and mosh pits and hardcore dancing. Sound scary? It is.
Why can't she stay home and learn to knit?

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of getting a bike, too. Soon we'll be having bike/knit-alongs in blogland! :)

Teri S. said...

Hmmm...hmmm...I'm wondering if that bike thingy might be just the thing for me, since I seem to be unmotivated to get out of bed while it's still dark and go to the gym, or run, or do anything else for that matter. That's any amazing makeover story. I'm in awe.

catsmum said...

with the number of people who read this Blog there won't be a mini bike LEFT on ebay... and as we're all bidding against each other ... well... I think I'll wait a week or two. Meanwhile I TRIED knitting on the stepper but I fell off.

April said...

My bike arrives next week!

I purchased mine from Malibu Wholesale on eBay. It looks quite different from the Sheepy Approved model but I think it'll be OK.

Mine will be Goat Approved.

sheep#100 said...

The Sheep again makes trek laugh!
Hope you have power tonight.

Sheila said...

I bought one from our local Sharper Image tonight! It is a lightweight one, but I have no patience (and it came with a little matt that sort of keeps it from slipping) so I bought it anyway. It was pricier, but with a coupon I had it wasn't much more than the Ebay one with shipping (they wanted $35.00 for shipping!!).
It really got my heart rate up. Hold on and I'll see if I can knit while peddling....
Yep, piece of cake. This is so cool. Thanks again, Sheep.

Sheila said...

I'm back.
Just thought I'd add, in case anyone is considering the Sharper Image bike,... it doesn't slip at all when used WITHOUT the matt that it came with, at least not on hardwood floors. I really like it.I did 30 minutes and I'm so sweaty that I'll need a shower before going to bed!

Anonymous said...

PS: Is this the Sharper Image bike that Sheila is referring to?

http://www.amazon.com/Sharper-Image-Portable-Cycle-LI112/dp/B0001FFLBC/sr=8-42/qid=1162094631/ref=sr_1_42/002-5683944-3195207?ie=UTF8&s=office-products

Amazon actually has quite a few to chose from. I like the comment about no-slipping with this one.

Thanks, Geraldine

Sheila said...

That is the one, Geraldine.
I chose it because I could get it right away (and I had a $20.00 off coupon), no shipping involved, but I iagine it is similar to Sheep's in function. It really doesn't slip..I'm not sure what the little matt is for because it does better without it.
If you have an Acadamy Sports store, they carry one for $48.00.
http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/fitness/fitness_machines/fitness_bikes&start=0&selectedSKU=0412-02825-6866
Our Acadamy was out of those ones.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sheep you will have all the knitters in shape in no time!
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

Lazuli said...

We've been having crazy weather here, too, with lots of wind for the last day or so. I hope your power comes back soon!

I got your comment about the sleeve w/ the dye lots, and I think I agree with you: in most lights, it's not that noticeable, so I'm going to leave it that way. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sheila!!!