Wednesday, October 25, 2006

It Was A Flat And Greasy Kind Of Day. With Gaps.

Blah. Not, "Baaaa" like a happy Sheep. Blah. As in, "bleck." As in, that's what you would have said if you'd seen this harried Sheep today. I couldn't get out of my own way with a map and a passport...

I entered into some sort of weird limbo during the hair arranging process this morning and, apparently, missed a step somewhere along the line. It was clearly a vital and "fluff-inducing" step as I spent the remainder of the day looking at my hair and wondering how it could be so bereft of volume. I still have no idea what happened.

I was then so pleased with myself for locating the purple eyeshadow amongst the warpaints ('cause it perfectly matched today's sweater and all) that I somehow forgot to use the eyeliner. Now, I've managed to reign in my addiction to this magical substance over the years as I'm a bit older now and one has to use a lighter touch with this stuff after a certain point. But, I am "blessed" with somewhat deep-set eyes and need to assist the public at large in locating them.

Today I went eyeless. Too bad, because that purple eyeshadow was do die for.

I left the house with a cup of instant coffee in hand as that is all I seem to have in the house, but took heart as I was running ahead of schedule.

I thought.

I was actually running ten minutes behind schedule. Which you wouldn't think would make a difference. But it does.

And, since I was already looking so darned "stunning" today, the universe saw fit to place a zit of monumental proportions upon my face. That or I am growing a conjoined twin. Its a doozy. I'll have to consult the Starfleet Handbook, but I think it might meet several of the criteria for consideration as a sentient being. I don't know whether to pop it or name it.

This was really a great day to have round two of Parent/Teacher conferences. There I was in all my flat and greasy glory trying to sound all professional and make thought-provoking observations with regard to the education of children, but the whole time I was just thinking, "I wonder...if I fall asleep right now would my zit be able to carry on the conference in my stead?"

Blah.

But, my conference schedule was light so I was able to crank out a few more rows on my scarf. That's always a perker-upper. While I reserve the right to call a time-out on this one, I do think that I might actually have a hand-made Christmas gift for some lucky member of my Sheepie circle. And, because I spread my conferences out over several days, I was allowed to whisk myself home at a very reasonable hour. Thus, I was able to indulge my greasy, flat-haired self with a few scoops of peanut butter straight from the jar for dinner and will still have plenty of time for sock knitting and prime time TV. Every day has it's bright points, you see.

For the record, I didn't really want the peanut butter. I wanted a healthy salad and something made of whole grains. But the zit really seemed to have it's heart set on the peanut butter and I'm kind of scared of it...

SA

10 comments:

Knittymama said...

I actually fell asleep last year while waiying for parents to come to my table. Luckily I was pregnant so it was a good excuse!

Knittymama said...

Okay, and I can't type worth a darn lately, either!

Anonymous said...

Don't you just hate days like that when your hair won't go right, your make-up is all wrong, etc.? I'm sure you looked fine even though you felt "off." When are your conferences done?

April said...

Such is the one joy of long hair, into a ponytail it goes. Every single day.

catsmum said...

I have the opposite problem ... couldn't manage a flat hair day if I put a ten ton weight on my cranium... and yet the hairdresser always asks if I want some 'product' through it after my cut. No thanks, it's already standing up straight of its own accord.

Anonymous said...

Well, it probably wasn't as bad a day as you thought. Think of all the things that didn't happen: The truck ran, you got off on the right exit, you didn't mention grocery shopping and who knows what could have happened there! You got to knit and eat PB. It sounds like a good day!
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

hillary said...

LOL. I got to work today and found out that I had to get a new id picture taken - 2 days before the scheduled hair appointment which is way overdue. Timing! At least the huge zits have finally vacated my face.

Sheila said...

Peanut butter, some of it at least, is a lot healthier than most people realize : )
You need to knit yourself a hat for bad hair days!

Cursing Mama said...

boy i wish i had conferences with you - - they would be so much better than the ones i'm going to next week

Anonymous said...

There must have been some sort of weirdness in the air - I left the house without my coffee, forgot to put the pillow behind my back before I pulled out of the driveway, and forgot my sunglasses - all things I do every day, have done every week day for the last, I don't know, ba-zillion years?!?! Weirdness abounds