Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Welcome To My Knitting Blog...

...where I ramble on about my constipated cat, invading insects, my trials in the world of graphic design and sing the "I Gots More Underdrawers Than You Gots" song. Every once in the proverbial blue moon, The Sheep is able to pull an FO out of her hat. Mostly though, its just explanations for why I didn't get something done.

You can imagine what it must have been like to be my mother.

Today's justification is brought to you courtesy of my school district. I jotted this little tidbit down a while ago, but I'll refresh your memory. If you recall the details, just scroll down. Teachers really don't get paid in the summer. What we get is a salary based on the ten months that we work. In the great state 'o Maine, that salary is typically broken down into "equal pays." Basically, educators are not known for their money management. If we were, then we'd probably have all chosen more lucrative careers. The ten month salary is doled out like an allowance so that our checks come at regular intervals. Thus, The Sheep is spared having to do the math herself.

This is good.

Except when it isn't. Every few years, the system needs to "reset" itself to account for the random months with three Fridays. This is one of those years. My last paycheck was August 18th. The next one will come my way on September 15th. We usually know about this well in advance. I've known since the end of June. Thus, I've planned for it. But, life being what it is, stuff happens. Trucks break, dentists need to be paid and sock yarn suddenly becomes more enticing than dark chocolate. And the need for dark chocolate still must be met.

So, when The Sheep was asked to come in to the office and cover a supervised visit today, it seemed like a good idea. It was an easy visit and I was able to also do some of the postcard mailing revisions. A wee bit o' the green will be coming my way as a result. 'Tis a Very Responsible Sheep you're dealing with here.

Not much knitting, though. The poor little sockie remains on the needles awaiting toe decreases and the Kursed Kitchener stitch. I will refrain from posting yet another photo of an unfinished sock...you have all been so darned patient with me it seems rather mean to force you to view another one of those.

However, we are having a few issues with insomnia of late. Thus, for your viewing pleasure, a big old bobbin of Finn:



Yeah, yeah...you've seen the Finn before. Admit it, though. You love it!!
The next bobbin is on the wheel and the last of the fiber will be wound upon it in short order. I anticipate having finished 2-ply yarn ready for knitting by week's end.
And if you believe that then I've got some swamp land in which you might be interested...
SA

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with Beth from the last post...you really should have tissues at the ready when you come and visit Sheepland!!!


Thanks for bringing so many LOL's to my days!!!! Huggs, G

April said...

i heart finn. really, i do.

and FO's are vastly overrated.

sheep#100 said...

That's my Sheepie friend - very ambitious! You can do the 2ply by the weekend!

Anonymous said...

okay, okay, I admit it - I do love the Finn.

Teri S. said...

Yes, yes! Love the Finn! Now excuse me while I try to achieve an FO...

Sheila said...

Hey, as long as you explain your excuses with humor, I don't think any of your "ten"(+) readers mind. As a matter of fact, I really appreciate the laughs!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to learn more about spinning because I have no idea what I'm looking at! But I know it's pretty. :)

missemilysmom said...

Sheep I am with you all the way on the money..... Urgh....

molly said...

New to your blog, found it through another who likes to knit and am enjoying your posts. Love to knit also, especially socks, can't seem to commit to larger projects. But of course there's the dreaded second sock syndrome. Maybe I should just stick to scarves or something.

This Weary Traveler said...

I don't know how you teachers do it, really. My closest friend teaches and usually the second week of September she wants to join me in the insurance biz. She gets over it.

Alliesw said...

Hey, I'm not much of a money manager either--that is one of my excuses for my stash (how my stash contributes to my money matters is another issue!). Hope your school year starts well!