Saturday, August 26, 2006

A Sheep In The Doghouse.

There must be penance. Sure, The Sheep could just say, "oh what the heck, I admitted the error of my ways and have committed myself to treading the better path from this day hence." But would she really have learned her lesson that way?

No. Those of us raised in the fine tradition of guilt know that there is nothing better than a little self-imposed life lesson to reinforce better behavior in the future.

I failed to see the beauty of the good sock yarn. I publicly stated that it was naught but sheer folly to spend large amounts of cash on that which will reside in your shoe. I purchased yarns labeled with the word "sock" and knit with them boldly and with blatant disregard for the truth.

My eyes have been opened. I have seen the light. I was wrong...so very wrong. There is, not merely a point, but a veritable principle at work here. All sock yarns are not created equal.

And so, in order that I might better appreciate what I have learned here, I have begun a new sock. And it is not in "good" sock yarn. It is in economy sock yarn. It was purchased at a chain craft store. It is scratchy. It is self-patterning. It lacks anything remotely resembling squooshy-ness or sproingy-ness. The Sheep, she suffers.




::sniffle:: Hold me...
As God is my witness, after this there will be Koigu. It'll be a nice respite from my penance.
I'm afraid I have alot of economy/penance sock yarn through which to slog.
Light a candle for me...
SA

8 comments:

Mia said...

You're in my prayers Sheepie.. as long as god doesn't mind my giggles..

Sheila said...

Aah yes, the econo yarn. I'm afraid when it comes to yarn, the "you get what you pay for" adage is universal across all weights of yarn, not just worsted and bulky!
I don't "pray" in the common sense of the term, but I'll send some good and happy vibes your way.

sheep#100 said...

Hey Sheep - that yarn does wash up nicely enough. Also, it is good for niece socks - since they outgrow them so darned quickly. Wash 'em in shampoo and condition them when done. There will be some love, I promise.

Anonymous said...

I just saw the statement on your sidebar that is counting down the days until your next dentist appointment! Too funny!

I know almost nothing about sock yarn. But I know the difference between nice yarn and "other" yarn, so I can relate to your pain. I'll think of you as I knit up all of my BW (Before Wool) yarn into hats. We can grumble together. :)

Anonymous said...

Poor little sheep!! I, too, have some crappy yarn sock stashed away. We are all sinners, but now I have found the way.

Kathy said...

Trek is right: That yarn washes up very nicely and it wears wonderfully.

laurie in maine said...

Yes, I also think the washing will improve the softness. I have a pair from Bernat (50% off even!) VS $23 Opal (2 pair managed from 1 skein) - both soft after multiple washings.

I'm noticing a difference though in "unwashed scratchiness" from skein to skein of the same brand (cheep stuff) so hoping the washing theory holds true!

Hannah said...

I am SO with you! David and I both bought some of that yarn recently when in the craft shop. D is knitting is very first pair of socks out of it in the same colorway you have. Mine has a strip of purple in it--and I finished them in the car the other day. But gosh--will I ever wear something so rough? I've defintely got to try the conditioner trick! (Thanks, Trek.)