Monday, August 07, 2006

Mea Culpa

I've been knitting socks for a while now. It took me some time to catch the fever, but once I did, I found it to be quite the enjoyable little pastime. Practical, useful, artsy...and I fit in with all the "cool" knitters.

But I never really got all that excited about sock yarn. I tended towards the less costly version of the medium, dontcha know. I just couldn't seem to reconcile the twenty plus dollars with the fact that the yarn would spend it's days inside my shoes and under my cuffs. I never begrudged those who spent the dollars...but I wouldn't do it. If asked, I would have said that my frugal ways were my own and that others were perfectly within their rights to knit as they saw fit. I was quite the Ghandi of knitters...accepting of all and only asking for my rights as a sensible stitcher. Deep down, though, I suspect I may have harbored a wee bit of the "smug." "Look at those poor fools, spending their cash all willy-nilly on the same item I get for half what they are paying...hee hee!!!"

A few months back, I was the lucky winner of a skein of handpainted in a comment contest. Shortly thereafter, while in the grip of a 105 degree fever, I purchased some Koigu from a fellow blogger who was destashing. These have sat idle since their arrival in my home. They're pretty 'n all...but how much better can they really be?

I am now several inches into my new sock and all I have to say is this:

Oh. I see. My bad...





Wow!!!!
I stand before you a humbled Sheep. I wholeheartedly, unabashedly and with the deepest of sincerity withdraw any and all misanthropy towards the wicked nice sock yarn. I get it. I really do. It is better. It is worth every penny one might spend on it. It is permissible to sell certain valuables like jewelry or one's children in order that it be obtained. Assaults on other knitters who might stand in your way of purchasing it are forgivable.
It is just better.
Sadly, this realization comes at summer's end and just before The Sheep's salary goes through a three week "readjustment period." (this happens every few years to those of us who work a ten month schedule...you lose a pay period to even up the disbursement.) Now where am I going to find the cash to fund this new sock yarn obsession?
The cats are looking mighty nervous right now...
SA

11 comments:

Sheila said...

Ooh, that is pretty. I love the feel of fingering weight yarn running through my fingers. You could walk to the store rather than drive, and use your gas money (and gym fees) to buy more sock yarn (and get in a cardio workout, too). You could taxi tourists around town for an appropriate fee or in direct exchange for sock yarn. I'll let you know if I come up with any others.

Lazuli said...

That is indeed a gorgeous set of colors. They're not even pooling, just blending together nicely, wow!

sheep#100 said...

Hallelujah, the Sheep has seen the sock yarn light! The stuff is wicked good. Have you felt Socks That Rock yet? Huh? Huh? I can send you some leftover from a pair of socks if you like.

Number Guy suggests not actually selling the cats; I quote, "How much are the snake owners really willing to pay anyway? You won't get full value!"

This Weary Traveler said...

I'm just the opposite! I crave the beautiful hand painted expensive sock yarn, I just have no desire to knit socks!

laurie in maine said...

I've bought just one skein of Opal sock yarn - renamed it "Yarn Whose Price Must NOT be Named". Did manage to get 2 pair out of it although ran out of continuous skein and had to use the unravel balls from trying to find matching starting points. I won't be buying 2 digit skeins often! The socks washed up soft, I have to admit.

Dropping the Red Heart yarn my mom taught me to knit with and going to Bernat & Paton sock yarn is the best reform I can manage. Although I've not yet run the Paton's through the wash - hope they wash softer than some of it knits up.

Anonymous said...

Very nice....sounds like you are a believer now! I haven't actually knit any socks yet, even though Ive been knitting and crocheting for many years. Just a lot of sweaters, vests, afghans....I will have to give a pair a try. Your knitting looks very neat btw....

Cheers, G

Anonymous said...

Very pretty. It's it funny how some things you just have to learn for yourself.
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

Mia said...

HAHAHAHHAHA... you crack me up Sheepie! Welcome to the "dark side". There IS just something special about gorgeous handpainted sock yarn.. so fun.. so luscious.. and useful too..

Welcome to my world.. now, gotta go.. who am I to talk, me who has taken about 3 months to make one pair....

Knit on!

Tania A said...

Sometime I will start a sock and I will too know the joys of sock knitting. That yarn is beautiful.

April said...

this is all trek's fault. she got me hooked as well.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is addicting! I have never tried Koigu, but I'm sure I will soon! STR is my current passion and it is spendy! I like to just pick it up and look at it and feel it!