Thursday, August 24, 2006

Things Which Must Be Acknowledged.

Well, lookee here! The Sheep is up with the birdies and posting bright and early! I normally try to put something up each day and late afternoon or evening seems to fit with my muse's sleep cycle. I'd like to pretend that my frequent updates are due to my incredible rate of project completion and my endless supply of knitting and spinning tips that must be shared with the general population lest the whole art go the way of the poncho. It's really more that I consider it a mental exercise to try and come up with something coherent and at least mildly interesting out of the day to day existence of an average Sheep.

Besides, I don't get out that much.

Yesterday, though, I had me some plans. There was a little shindig over at the Cammad Household to which I was invited and one does not say, "nah" to my favorite nieces-by- proxy. A good time was had by all, the girls obliged their auntie by not growing up too much since last she saw them, and cake was provided. "Twas a fun-filled night! The grownups stayed up waaay past their respective bedtimes and I fear that the family's day at StoryLand is going to be a marathon for the parents today.

Had I been more of a Thinkin' Sheep, though, I would have at least put up this little photo for you:



Happy Feet!
The Socks-That-Began-The -Sheep's-Love-Affair-With -Fine-Sock-Yarn were finished up the other night and duly photographed for your review. This is a pretty simple pattern. But I am a pretty simple Sheep when you come right down to it. I'm quite pleased with them. And, given last night's plummeting temperatures, they made a lovely p.j. accessory and remained on the tootsies for the duration of the night.
I needed this little extra bit of loving warmth as I caught the midnight showing of Project Runway. Deep, deep down, I think I knew where this was leading. I opted to just watch it last night and get it over with rather than wait for one of the 8 billion reruns of the program which will occur over the next week. When the judges began using the word, "boring" again in their final summation, I knew that I would be bidding poor Robert a sad farewell. It didn't give me the level of angst that I experienced last week as I watched Alison literally flinch at the words, You're out" but it was sad all the same.
Before I sign off for the day and get ready to head into the office, I must acknowledge one more thing. In blog comments, private communications and a recent post over at cursingmama, there have been some extremely kind and generous comments made about this blog. It was almost exactly twenty years ago that a much younger Sheep, clad in an army surplus shirt, black tattered leggings and sporting eight safety pins in her earlobes, stood poised on the career precipice. While the idea of being a writer was most appealing, she was ultimately lured away by the glitz and glamour of the high profile life of the schoolteacher. No regrets, but it has been quite wonderful to find the blogging world and to be able to put cursor to screen and share my thoughts in print. Even if no one liked a word, I would probably still be cranking out endless observations about the bugs, the cats and my dentist. But it is awfully nice to know that I maybe could have pulled off the whole "author thing" had that been the choice all those years ago. And so I say, "thank you" for your kind words.
Have a great day!
SA

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

You definitely can be a writer! It's never too late. I read a book (okay, just the first few chapters then it was due back at the library) called Pen On Fire about women writers. The author said it's NEVER too late to start writing. Many successful authors started later in life (50's, 60's). Go for it! Start writing while you are still teaching.

Your socks look terrific and very warm!

Teri S. said...

So you wanted to be a writer too, eh? I was lured away by the promise of instant riches with startup software companies. Alas, it was not to be. Besides, I think any creativity was drummed out of my by writing dry research papers in college.

Plummeting temperatures? I'm so jealous! We're still in the 90s--definitely not sock weather yet.

Anonymous said...

If you want to write then you should. You are witty and interesting and can tell a story.

The socks are lovely. Isn't it nice when the weather cooperates and lets you actually enjoy your FO right when you finish it.
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

Anonymous said...

Hello Sheep, You certainly are a writer and would be comedian for that matter. I have been a freelance writer off and on (should read unpaid/paid) for many, many years. Blogging has been great to get back into 'fun' writing and the emails/comments of support re: my writing etc...have been so encouraging.

You've got my vote and have had it since my first visit to Sheepland. You and your blog ROCK!

Huggs, G

Sheila said...

Lovely socks, Sheep.
Just because you're teaching doesn't mean you can't work on a book or a collection of stories or some other form of official writing at the same time. Like Karen said, you can tell a story, and reading those stories gives people pleasure!
You may have thought that your post would tame the flow of compliments and encouragement, but it seems to be doing just the opposite, so maybe you should give it some serious thought.
One of my best friends from high school is a college English proffessor, and in her spare time she writes short stories and poetry (she's had a book and some poetry published), she juries youth poetry contests, and has a show on public radio in which she interviews up-and-coming authors. You don't have to settle for one carrier.

Anonymous said...

Great socks, sheep! Very pretty. Unlike the previous posters, I HATE that the temp has chosen my vacation week to plummet! Not Fair!

I also think you should/could write while being a teacher (just don't slow down on our daily entertainment!)

Lazuli said...

Your socks look wonderful! I love how the colors blend. And I have to chime in with the others that you definitely could be a writer!

Cursing Mama said...

You could still do that whole "author thing" ya know. I know I appreciate your writing.

Love the socks - -

debsnm said...

I'm wondering if all us bloggers are really closet writers at heart? Some are more 'read-able' than others, and I put le Sheep in that category, definately!

Mia said...

You've earned every single kind word that's been said Sheepie.. and I LOVE the socks. TOO funny.. mine I just blogged about are very similar... except yours are longer and I wish mine were.. I just wasn't sure how much yarn I had..

and ya know.. it's never to late to be a writer..

Sheila said...

Oops, Make that "career".

April said...

sheepie, you already are a writer, no question about it. and one of my very favorites. :)

those socks look beautiful on your tiny hooves.

mrichme said...

THERE ARE M.Fn. SNAKES ON THE M.Fn. PLANE!

Let's help Sheepish get to 20 comments!

molly said...

You ARE a writer!!! Look at that, here you are, writing, and with all these readers who come to your site looking forward to seeing what you have to say. Is it not wonderful? Thanks for stopping by my site, and leaving me that wonderful visual of crockpot as dye vat. Ummm Yummy.

sheep#100 said...

Number 17.

Annie said...

Yoy're already a writer - you just need to find someone to publish your work in book form. I love reading your blog, not only for the subject matter but also for the way it is written.

This Weary Traveler said...

I also wanted to be a writer but the glamorous insurance biz called and who can refuse the siren call of IRC 125 and other sexy parts of the tax code. You know I love your blog and suspect we were separated at birth.

mrichme said...

Sheepish,

Congrats you made it to 20 comments!

hillary said...

You are a wonderful writer. It's never too late.

Anonymous said...

The socks are quite nice, and just think they are a pair. No lonely sock sitting in a drawer without a match!

As everyone else has commented, it's never to late to be a writer...

Hannah said...

You definitely deserve all the compliments you get. You not only can be a writer--you ARE one. Now keep telling the stories, print them out, and send some to an agent!