Friday, August 04, 2006

Free-Association Friday.

Note: Due to on-going issues with her internet service provider The Sheep is not going to post photos tonight. The resulting frustration and angst from attempting this could lead to a "situation." We don't want that. The media is busy enough what with the heat wave and the Middle East 'n all. Thank you for your patience. We hope to have this matter resolved in a timely fashion.


The Sheep has had something of an epiphany today. Well, truth be told, there were several. Some of these pearls of inner wisdom included:

All sewing needles, prior to leaving the factory, must be chanted over and imbued with evil vibrations courtesy of a dark wizard as part of the final review process. Thus, they have the ability to draw blood with minimal handling.

"Straight" and "even" are relative terms and mean different things to different people. I, for example, see a straight line as being anything from 90 to 57 degrees on the average protractor.

Chocolate is better when combined with nuts or caramel.

Any chocolate is "good" chocolate during the sewing process.


These were great epiphanies and all. True gems if ever I heard one. But the best one was this:

When you are creating something by hand, you need to learn to love it not just in spite of it's flaws, but because of them.

Let's face it. If I really wanted something that was "perfect" I could go out and purchase it pre-made and mass produced. What I need in my life is something with ripples 'n wrinkles, odd angles 'n dangling threads. This is permission!!!! Permission to use trim with wild abandon. Taste and restraint can be thrown out the window. Once you've got imperfection on your hands, you might as well just start adding distractions.

This, my ten loyal readers, is what we call, "Looking On The Bright Side."

I spent much of today hand-stitching the trim over the Rage Induced Top Stitching and have successfully hidden much of my meandering handiwork. Next up: beads!!!! This will distract the eye from the cock-eyed application of the trim. Following that, I will need to come up with some sort of patching on the lining to create a visual diversion and fool the viewer into thinking that I did not apply the inner facing upside down. It's all doable. I'm sure of it.

I just need to feel the love.

SA

6 comments:

Sheila said...

Inner facing has a right side? Hmm...
I'm sure your bag will be loveable. I stopped frequenting the Knitter's Review Forum so much because the knitters there were all perfectionists, and I just couldn't relate. As my husband reminds me (frequently): "If it were perfect, it wouldn't have that hand-made quality that makes it special", and who doesn't love the "special" things in life?

Anonymous said...

The 'trim diversions' sound like a plan as long as the layers don't get too out of control LOL....

I'm thinking a LOT more than 10 readers at your blog are loyal, count me IN!!!

Happy Weekend, Thanks for your Veggie comments too...

Huggs, G

PS I just had some chocolate, also good with housecleaning....it finally got done, I blamed the dust on the heat, now that's no longer a viable excuse.

Annie said...

I can't wait to see the finished article. You have inspired me to make a tote, although it's still in the "design" (a loose term) stages at present.

sheep#100 said...

Way to go, Sheep.

Oh, and a note to Shelia, yes, liners do have a right side and a right side up side!

mrichme said...

For the record Sheepish, Bloglines states there are 21 subscribers and 10 of those are listing their subscription to your feed publically. Cheer up and stand proud!

Julie said...

I'm told by Amish folks I know that they deliberately put mistakes in their creative works (all those weird-colored patches in otherwise perfect quilts, etc)because only God can create something perfect.

I'm not too religious, but every time I leave a mistake in a sweater I think "Well, I'm off the hook for THAT one."

And top-stitching is evil.