Sunday, May 21, 2006

Which Came First: The Chicken Or The Sheep?

Despite not being quite finished with the actual spinning, I have begun plying some of the Corriedale that has been on the wheel and capturing my heart for the last few weeks.



Wouldn't be a Sunday without the obligatory picture of my Corrie, now would it?
Yes, the plan was to attempt a 3 ply yarn with this. And right up to the 11th hour I was committed to this endeavor. But sometimes Sheep turn into chickens...

Yup. It's a 2 ply.

Two factors came into play here. The first is The Sheep's innate lack of patience and desire for instant gratification. I just couldn't wait!!! Secondly, I was nervous about plying three singles with this fiber as I've not done that before and I just didn't want to risk it given how taken I've been with it. Frankly, I'm just as happy with this decision. It's looking great and I can think of about a million things I can do with the finer yarn.

Of course it wouldn't be a Sheepish Annie project without some sort of spanner in the works and this was no exception. I'm still getting used to the tensioned Lazy Kate and had her torqued up pretty tightly. A loosely spun section of a single couldn't take the pressure and snapped causing a spate of language that is best left to the imagination. Although I must admit that even I was stunned by my creativity with the spoken word at that point. At any rate, I managed to achieve something of a half-assed felted join that held the single together long enough to ply it with it's intended and get it on the bobbin. We've loosened things up a bit and all seems to be well at this point. Whether I get this finished up tonight is something of a coin toss, but it's not like the fate of the world depends on it or anything. I mean, what's gonna happen? Plague? Been there. (see Monkey Pox posts) Flood? Old news. (see "I don't have school again today and have had to pee constantly for seven days" posts) Famine? Well, sort of. I kind of ran out of food during the Monkey Pox debacle. Anyway...I think it's safe to tempt the fates, here. There's not much else that can go wrong these days.

Work continues on Amy's project and, while I've stalled out a bit today due to a spinning frenzy, I think that this may actually work. By "work" I mean that I will have a finished object that meets my loosey-goosey standards and will in no way meet Amy's. But it will be a starting point and she can tell me where she'd like to see alterations. And she will. Trust me on this!!! Only for Amy would I go through this...

That's it for today. I simply must return to my much loved Corrie and see how much more can be plied today. I almost dread finishing this...whatever will I blather about on Sundays when I don't have my Corriedale?

SA

2 comments:

Teri S. said...

One does not want to make one's stylist unhappy. Although I think I might have some trepidations about going to a stylist who wields such power. Nonetheless, it sounds like fun. The Corrie is lovely. I'm still (not) working on getting my spinning thin and even. One day...after knitting the never-ending baby blanket...and the socks...and the sweaters...and the...

Mia said...

Ohhhh, that Corrie looks absolutely delish! I know what you mean about the swear words when the yarn breaks *grin*