Monday, May 15, 2006

Rainy Days And Mondays...And States Of Emergency!

Well, it just keeps raining. And raining. Then it rains. This is not good. The Governor is wandering about the southern region of the state muttering dire predictions and promising Federal aid and the residents are wondering if they will ever be able to retrieve their lawn ornaments from the raging waters. Actually, where The Sheep lives, things are pretty good. Go a few miles south and it's kind of a different story. It's a coin flip as to whether the roads will be open tomorrow. I'm leaning towards believing that I will be returning to school, but it wouldn't shock me if we were out one more day. New Hampshire is getting hit even worse than we are and I teach right on the border. Time will tell.

Meanwhile, I opted for the "snuggly day inside" over the "responsible errand running." Last night it was something of a debate in my mind, but the soothing sound of the rushing waters lulled me into a complacent state. (and I had to pee alot) I made it to the grocery store for coffee and dry gas and that was it for me in the outside world.

I had visions of getting some spinning done, but that didn't happen. I ended up casting on for a pair of Jaywalkers. I know, I know...I'm a bit late to the party here. Am I the last person on earth to attempt a pair of these socks? What can I say? I'm always a bit behind the times.

I'm actually much further along at this point. I took this photo pretty early in the day.
I then had a yen for some dyeing. I dug out the last of the tussah silk and hit it with the pretty plum colored dye that I ordered over the April break. Now, The Sheep and kettle dyeing have what you might call a love/hate relationship. It is always something of a "streaky" affair. Rarely do I have the patience to prep. the fiber enough for it to consistently take the color and I always end up with a mottled effect and more white than I really wanted. This used to bother me, but I finally decided to just go with it and call it my "signature style." I generally go back and re-card to blend things a bit better and often end up with something that I rather like.

Lovely silk, simmering away. And the color is pretty much dead-on. It's full of plummy goodness!

And, after a two week hiatus, I finally attempted a gentle work-out. I managed 30 minutes on the bike and 10 minutes with the weights. The weights proved the most challenging and I suspect that I will be a long time training in order to get back to where I was pre-Monkey Pox. Still, it was nice to get back into the routine even if it was something of a pathetic showing. I'm sure I'll be the better for it. Waiting that extra week was a good move. Thanks to the blogging community at-large for pushing that agenda. There is no way this Sheep could have gotten through even the slowest of work-outs last week.

So now, it's just a waiting game. As I said, the rain should be slowing soon and, if the rivers, streams and mighty ocean can settle down and go back where they belong, I can trundle off to work tomorrow. Much as I have enjoyed the extra day, I do believe that we need to get back into the routine, here.

Otherwise, school will be getting out sometime around August 28th this year.

SA (p.s. Per Teri's request, the recipe for the Cheesy Bread will be forthcoming...stay tuned!)


camadsmom said...

I am going to get out of school before you. That hasn't happened since I moved to Massabesic. I am doing a rain dance tonight. Loveya

Teri S. said...

The plum silk is just...well, plum gorgeous! I'm quite impressed as I haven't been able to work up the courage to dye anything yet. I'm getting there, though. I think some Koolaid dyeing is in my future. And I'm glad you were were finally able to get workout in; the next one will be better!

Annie said...

Send some of your rain our way - we've just had announcements about drought measures, all non-essential use of water is banned fo the forseeable future. Time I started work on a desalination planr for the garden!