Saturday, April 29, 2006

I'm Trying...

...honest, I am. I really much prefer to keep this the Blog-Lite version of the genre. With few exceptions, I lean towards the sillier side of things. It's just who I be...

However my recent affliction seems to be trying this philosophy on many, many levels. When the whole mess started, I thought, "Well, I'll just call it Monkey Pox and it'll be good blog fodder." From there it progressed to a minor inconvenience that was preventing me from getting some things done to, well, frankly something a little bit scary.

I attempted to sleep in my bed last night rather than the couch. I've been finding that my side hurts more when I use the bed but I'd hoped the painkillers would alleviate that. Um...not so much. I awoke this morning (three thirty this morning to be precise) in agony. Attempts at inhaling caused stabbing pains and the only thing I could do to obtain oxygen was make these weird little gasping noises. It took about half an hour for the tylenol 3 to kick in and that was a bad thirty minutes, let me tell you. Breathing is sort of non-negotiable, dontcha know...

The rest of this day has consisted of getting up to get more juice, sleeping, getting up to get more codeine, sleeping, getting up to deal with the nasty cough, sleeping, getting up to check my temperature, sleeping...do we see the pattern, here? The fever has not gone below 100 since Thursday or so and I haven't been able to keep down solid food for a couple of days now. There were times yesterday where I was tussling with a temperature of 104 and moments where things got a bit "fuzzy."

I'm starting to have difficulties finding the lighter side of this viral invasion. I'm basically in pain, dizzy and working my way through pajamas at a rate that should have me sleeping in old bridesmaid dresses by Sunday night.

Has anyone else out there been hit with this? If so, how long did it last? What remedies proved helpful? Did you ever see grim death lurking in the corner, pointing and you and laughing? And not in a maniacal way or anything...more like mocking. Cuz the way I look right now even the reaper himself wouldn't be seen with me. Is there any hope of me getting back to work on Monday? I really kinda sorta need to be there... Seriously, anybody have any thoughts on surviving this?

Hopefully, I'll be able to post tomorrow just so my loyal 7 readers will know that I have not shuffled off this mortal coil. If not, tell my mother I love her and somebody feed the cats.

Not that I've been able to get out to get them any food, mind you. Tuna's in the upper left cupboard. At least they're getting something out of this nightmare...

SA

2 comments:

Annie said...

Oh you poor thing, that sounds terrible. I can't offer you any helpful hints I'm afraid, but send lots of healing thoughts your way and hope you feel better very soon.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like pneumonia(sp?)
Melissa