Sunday, October 05, 2008

No One's At The Door (Thank Heavens...)

I've been lamenting the situation with the economy since this past summer.  Not so much because of the threat to our way of life or the fact that there is an election coming up, although I suppose I should be more concerned about those things.  Mostly I am...honest.  But the whole thing with the economy has meant that I am penny pinching and can't go out and buy all those things I want to purchase with wild abandon.  The thing I've been craving most of late has been a certain boxed set of dvds.  I found the price to be more than I was willing to shell out in these dark financial days, however, and decided to let cooler fiscal heads prevail.  

Imagine, then, my joy at finding the whole ding-dong series on Hulu this weekend!  Further, imagine the amount of time I have spent glued to the sofa staring at a computer monitor and eating black and white cookies.  Not a pretty picture.  Maybe it's best if you don't imagine that part...

American Gothic came out in 1995 and had a sadly short run.  In one of life's most ironic twists, it was created by Shaun Cassidy who also did some of the writing and and was a supervising producer.  There were many inconsistencies in the presentation and the writing, I fear and far too many attempts to humanize the villain of the story.  That led to some disjointedness in the whole flow of the thing.  Still, it was a great piece of television drama and really quite gripping.  It wasn't so much filmed as it was rendered.  Atmosphere fairly dripped from the screen.

And no.  I am not going to provide you with a Shaun Cassidy link.  If you are not the sort of person who can sit down with me and engage in a lively debate over which Hardy Boy would be the one you'd like to marry and then join me in a rousing chorus of Da Doo Ron Ron, then I fear for our friendship.  It is for the sake of our relationship that I don't test it by putting up the link.  You can just pretend you read the same teen magazines as I and we can go on from there.

Should you choose that route, I will further assist you by telling you that the answer to the first question is:  Joe.  There is no question about it.  Period.  End of discussion.

Even better, they brought in Sam Raimi as one of the executive producers.  You will probably remember him from my beloved Evil Dead trilogy.  Well, the first one is beloved.  The second is one I'd probably have a long term relationship with but never actually wed.  The third, Army Of Darkness, is just kind of silly.  But it has the best lines so I'd probably go out for a beer with it...

I guess that watching the whole thing on downloads is not quite the same as having the dvd set and the picture quality leaves a bit to be desired.  But it has still been a rather happy weekend for this Sheep.  Nothing like living in the past while watching good and evil play out on the small screen, now is there?  Sheriff Buck is as bad to the bone as I remembered him to be and still makes a girl long for the return of the vest as a male fashion statement.  It is also good to know that four little words like, "Someones at the door," can still send a shiver down my aged, creaky spine.










Iz skeeeery!  I hides in here with mine eyes shuts tight!!!!


While it may not be the viewing material of choice for the Absurdly Gi-normous Kitty, it is rather good for scarf knitting.  I have knit myself a rather impressive length of scarf thanks to the hours spent parked in front of the monitor.  It wouldn't do to not use the time somewhat productively, now would it?  People might ask what I did all weekend and we don't want them calling in some sort of social service agency for the housebound.  That would interfere greatly with my viewing schedule!


This was from yesterday, actually.  There is oodles more now.  


OK.  So the economy is still in the toilet and I don't have a boxed dvd set in my collection.  I also may have had something of a "lost weekend" and perhaps there is no hope of getting all those ground-in cookie crumbs out of the couch cushions without some kind of very toxic solvent.  But I am still a pretty happy Sheepie tonight.  I've got a great deal of scarf to my credit, I remembered to feed the cats and once ran the vacuum over the carpets during a viewing break.  Heck, I even remembered to shower a couple of times.  All in all, I can't think of a better way to spend a couple of days.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got precious little weekend left and several more episodes to view before it all comes to an end.  I am also planning on checking the locks once or twice.

You never know when you'll hear, "Someones at the door..."

SA



12 comments:

Knitting Linguist said...

It sounds like a perfect weekend -- nothing better than small-screen viewing and black and white cookies. The knitting is just a wonderful bonus :)

Anonymous said...

Your weekend sounds wonderful. I had to spend a few hours today that'll I'll never get back at Chuck E Cheese for a 2 year old's birthday party! Can you say "LOUD"?

Jeanne said...

Frank. Definitely Frank. But only in the guise of Parker Stevenson *drool*

The scarf is beautiful, and the AGK is unbelievably adorable.

Kath said...

I just recently discovered the joys of hulu also. I could lose tens of hours just in the SciFi category alone.

Oh and the answer is Joe, definitely. He had the best hair.

Anonymous said...

Perfect weekend. I wish mine had been as pleasant.

Mia said...

love the AGK pic :) And I think I might just check out that website at work today. I was wondering what I was gonna do for the next 8 hours :)

Anonymous said...

It doesn't sound like a bad weekend to me. In fact if it involved some pizza it would be darn near perfect.

Donna Lee said...

I once lost an entire weekend to several seasons of the Brit comedy Coupling. I still consider it time well spent. And Sean was just a tad too young for me. His big brother David made my heart go all atwitter, though.

sheep#100 said...

How did those locks hold up for you?

Should I even mention that last night, Number Guy forgot to lock the front door and that I spent the night with a sick Neatnik on my chest coughing and hacking - on the living room couch, right near the unlocked front door??

I don't think that NG has taken any zombie preparedness training classes. Could you perhaps hook him up with some?

Ronni said...

You are turning into quite the little lost series enabler aren't you? I guess I'll start makin' a list since there's no way I have time to start watching now.

Cursing Mama said...

Could we follow up Da Doo Ron Ron with a heartfelt chorus of Hey Dennie?

knitseashore said...

Joe. Definitely Joe. And I think the HB episodes are on DVD too now...weren't Sunday nights awesome back then?