Saturday, October 18, 2008

Like Minded...

I've been driving my undyed bridesmaid shoes around for several days now.  I figured that, if they were right there in the car, I'd probably be a little more motivated to get them delivered to Future SIL Sheep sometime before her first anniversary.  This, of course, did not exactly go as planned and I ended up bringing them to her on Friday after school.  What can I say?  I enjoy pushing the limits sometimes...

I pulled into a space at her home to find the soon-to-be-bride lugging in all manner of garment bags and boxes.  Assisting her in this endeavor was Niece Sheep.  As the door was open, I could clearly see inside the house.  I observed a very teeny, tiny, brownish blob rocketing about the place which I easily identified as Sarge The Very Scary Teacup Terrier.  (We call him this not so much because he is actually scary but because I worry about his tiny, little self-esteem.)  I also could discern another little blob.  This one was moving a little more slowly but with no less determination.  I am an intelligent girl.  I can put things together.  I know stuff.  I can add up and interpret the meaning of certain people and blobs all being in one place.  All this could only mean one thing:

BABY!!!!

Those who know me are fully aware of my Baby Issues.  I tend to not do very well with them.  I don't think they really "get" me and it is obvious to me that they have no appreciation whatsoever for my rapier like wit.  In return, I find their unwillingness to go get me a Mountain Dew from the fridge to be a little selfish on their part.  However, this was Great Nephew Sheep!  I was determined to make the effort here.  I figured that, as family, he has to at least tolerate me.  I may be a future source of birthday cards containing money.  Plus, I tend to do a little better with boys than with girls.  I put on my best Baby Face and headed in.  There would be bonding of some sort or my name wasn't Auntie Sheepie!!!

And you know, this did not go badly at all, if I do say so myself.  Nephew Sheep is a happy sort of kid.  Observational humor didn't seem to impress him all that much, but I gotta say that my brilliant renditions of Peek-a-boo and Shake The Thing That Rattles were met with great approval.  In fact, I don't think I would be overstating matters if I were to say that I tore the roof off the suckah with that last one.  

Still... you can never really be sure about these sorts of things.  It is possible he was just being polite.  I needed more of a sign.  Something to really lock things down for me.  How could I be sure that we'd really connected?  

And then it happened.

Niece Sheep and Future SIL Sheep began to demonstrate various modes of play that can be used with this particular child.  During a spirited game with Baby, the rules of which seemed a little complicated and involved the use of the word "Whooooooooooooo" a great deal, Baby suddenly emitted a rather piercing cry.  Mama and Memere responded in the appropriate fashion with much cuddling and cooing.  Baby was nuzzled and comforted with great enthusiasm.  His distress eased immediately, but snuffly sounds could still be heard.  Future SIL Sheep rested his poor little head upon her shoulder.  He snuggled close then turned to face me.  And that's when I saw it.  He smiled.  No.  That's not quite right.  Maybe it was a grin...no.  That's not it either.  Wait!  I've got it!

He smirked.

I quickly ran though my Internal Baby Knowledge Database to see if I had any references for Self-Satisfied Baby Smirks and came up blank.  I don't know if this is the sort of thing one should be prepared for with babies.  Frankly, my Internal Baby Knowledge Database is woefully limited.  I only know this:  my heart soared.

I may not know from babies.  I may not know just when to say, "Whooooooo!"  But I know a fellow attention seeker when I see one.  I have long practiced the art of making my needs known and getting them met and can tell you that I was in the presence of greatness.  I looked into those little eyes, so filled with the pleasure of a job well done, and connected on the deepest of levels.  I get him.  I really, really get him.  And I think he knew it.  I actually applauded.  I told him that I couldn't have been prouder had he been my very own and, upon leaving, I shook his hand.  

Love this kid.  Love him!

I shared this new found appreciation for the diaper set with the kitties upon arriving home.  I was pleased, after all.  The Absurdly Gi-normous Kitty responded by spending this morning dragging his less-than-hygienic tushy all around the carpet then took to his bed.





I later heard him muttering something about calling his therapist.  Words like "abandonment issues," and "potential for attachment disorder" were also bandied about.

I gave him an extra helping of crunchies and opted to not make an issue of the stains on the carpet that I only just shampooed on Monday.  He got over it.

But, I've been thinking.  Niece Sheep is a very good mother.  Very good, indeed.  I witnessed her skills firsthand and on several fronts yesterday.  Yet, I still can't help but think that that Baby looked cold.  Not freezing cold, but maybe a little chilled.  He's not long out of California after all.  He's probably not really comfortable wandering around during Autumn in Maine.

I think he needs a sweater...

SA

13 comments:

sheep#100 said...

Ha! Nephew Sheep has your number.
You are securely wrapped around his left pinkie.

Kath said...

Oh I'd say Great Nephew Sheep definitely needs a sweater. And perhaps other accessories as well? I've always had an urge to make those little booties that look like sneakers but there are no human babies in my vicinity. Which actually, is probably a good thing!

Knitting Linguist said...

And you're clearly the Sheep to knit it for him! He has indeed learned how to get what he wants from those around him :)

Anonymous said...

YES!! You have someone small to knit for. That is the best sweater knitting situation. Remember babies lose heat through their head so a hood or hat is a must have.

Donna Lee said...

Oh yes. A baby sweater is just the thing. And what a way to engratiate yourself to him. It sounds like he may be competition for future attention.

Anonymous said...

How about one of EZ's Baby Surprise Jackets for your new soul mate?

As for the AGK's dragging his derrière on the freshly cleaned carpet, I suggest a trip to the friendly vet for anal gland expressing.

Anonymous said...

He got ya! Funny how littles ones can really suck you in.

He definitely deserves a sweater!

soxanne said...

It's a wonderful thing, to have a soul-mate in the family.

Perhaps one of those hats with the little devilish ears would be an appropriate thing to knit for him?

;-)

Unknown said...

OOh sweater for great nephew great idea. I just did one for my nephew and I have to say it was properly adored by all. I would highly recomend any Roo designs. They are so cute and well written. Please let us know what you decide to do, because I have an order for another sweater for the nephew.

Catherine

Mia said...

What? I read all the way to the end and there wasn't a cute, chubby little baby pic for my reward??

ok, well, i'll just go back to my corner now *grin*

April said...

Where is the picture of this wonder to behold?

Definitely, you need to knit this child a sweater. I recommend Knitting Pure & Simple's Top Down Pullover. Let me know if you need the pattern. And the yarn. Needles too.

Cathy said...

Trek is right on the money!

Oh boy... knitting fodder...

Lynne said...

It seems like only last week you were knitting many tiny widdle things. Maybe it's time to repeat the experience - just a little larger this time!