Thursday, October 09, 2008

Gah!!!

I am sitting here with my safety procedures manual, trying to absorb a great deal of information in order that I might pass the trainer's test tomorrow. I do this because I was so ordered by The Bosses Of Me.  I've been doing this for an hour or so.  I've even demonstrated some of the lectures to the cats.

And I am starting to see a little problem.

Since before forever, I have been a procrastinator.  If a task can be put off until the last possible second, then that is the option I will choose.  If you ever need to pick me out of a crowd, just look for the harried individual thumbing through a folder of some sort whilst Very Important Files flutter through the breezes in my wake.  It is likely that I am wearing yesterday's clothes and that there is some food residue in my hair.  Another hint will be the irritated looks being shot my way by the more organized people.  They hate me.  I make their lives much more complicated.  I don't blame them...

Perhaps it was poor judgement on my part to not study this stuff a little bit sooner.  I ended up having to stay late at school in order to put together some lesson plans for the half day we have scheduled for students tomorrow since I won't be there.  I also thought it might be a good idea to have a little something ready for next week so I don't have to stay past dismissal time tomorrow.  I was a bit later getting home than I intended and I really felt that I should do the short weight training session that I have been promising myself to do on Thursdays.  To say that I've been a bit haphazard with that would be an understatement.

Then I realized that I had decided to wear sweats tomorrow since I won't be teaching regular classes and will need to be demonstrating some physical maneuvers in order to meet my trainer's certification requirements.  I really only have one pair that are appropriate to wear outside of the house and they needed a bit of a wash to reach that state.  And we must not forget that the usual sort of "get ready for work" stuff needs to be done before bedtime.  

Yup.  I made a bit of a judgement error.  I did not plan well.  I have one night to process and be able to spit back a great deal of information.  That is not good planning.  That is the opposite of good planning.  It is Anti-Planning...

I'll pull it off, though.  I always do.  I won't be able to knit tonight, nor will there be much time for it tomorrow.  The curse of the procrastinator is that she has to sacrifice some of the things that make her happy every once in a while if she wants to live this sort of life.  

There is an up side, though.  For all my sacrifice tonight, I shall be rewarded threefold.  For you see, even the procrastinators get to have three day weekends when the government declares a Monday to be a holiday.  They can't take it away from me.  All I have to do is show up for the required amount of time during the work week, scramble to get everything done and then I'm home free!  I'll knit over the weekend.  And then some.  

That little perk is still in the distance, though.  Tonight, I must focus my attention on the task at hand.  The safety procedures manual remains at my side and I'm going to have to put a few more hours into the reading of it before bedtime rolls around.  It isn't going to be one of my more pleasant evenings.  But I suppose I bought the ticket for this particular ride.

To make matters worse, the Absurdly Gi-normous Kitty continues to protest his diet with loud cries of hunger.  He virtually rockets into the kitchen every time I so much as rearrange my hindquarters on the sofa.  He does not care that I am studying.  He is starving to death!!!  The recommended serving amounts listed on the cat food bag do not nearly fill his gi-normous belly and he will probably faint completely away from the hunger any minute now.  The fact that I am studying (and that the consumption of his sister's food puts him in excess of his calorie limits for the day) means nothing to him.  

I guess this is better than what I'm getting from The Big Fluffy Kitty this evening.  She is fine with the portion sizes these days.  No issues there.  She does, however, seem to have some thoughts regarding my frantic manual perusal.




I think she looks a little "judge-y."  Don't you think she looks "judge-y?"  I think so.  I really do...


SA

8 comments:

sheep#100 said...

Ha! I got you beat tonight, Sheepie! I have to lecture tomorrow morning at 11am and I fully intend to prepare for said lecture between 9:30 and 11:00 - when the students are taking their test!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you will pull it off.
Lucky you, 3 day weekend. I get to work my usual 9 hour day. Hip hip hurrah.

Donna Lee said...

No holiday weekend here. We are a HEALTHCARE FACILITY. There may be unknown mental health emergencies and we must be open at all times!!!! If I had thought about it, I would have taken the day off. Mental health day, you know.

Cathy said...

Since it is a 3-day weekend, here's a book you should take a gander at...

Creepy Cute Crochet by Christen Haden

There are zombies.

Anonymous said...

Yep, she's looking judge-y!

By the time you read this your test will be over; I hope it went well!

Anonymous said...

I never worry about procrastination because I can worry about it tomorrow.
I think BFK is wondering why you felt she needed a little brother...

Knitting Linguist said...

OK, if I've got my time-changes right, you're halfway through your presentation! I bet it's going great :)

Cursing Mama said...

For comparison I might add that the serving sizes on people food don't fill me up either. Of course I don't eat my sisters food because she would stab me with a fork.