Monday, October 27, 2008

The Great Escape?

With great stealth and crafty distraction, I was able to sneak out to the car today before the Absurdly Gi-normous Kitty remembered that he was supposed to be blocking the door.  This was something of a feat as it was 6:00 in the God-forsaken morning and I don't normally have my full faculties about me, let alone the ability to maneuver around like a gazelle.

I hate to admit this, but I think the cat may have been right about the whole "stay at home with me you silly, silly woman" thing.  I took a sick day last Friday in order that I might make my dentist appointment.  It seemed crazy to drive back and forth for forty minutes each way several times just to be in two places at once.  So I spent hours making arrangements for the day and even agreed that the little darlings could watch a DVD in the afternoon if they could be good little boys.  Some were.  Others...not so much.  

I like to think that it was because they missed me so much.  We don't like to believe that the Little Gifts From Heaven might be taking advantage of the situation or anything.  That might be disheartening.  And I have a long way to go until retirement if I stick with the Maine State Guidelines for such things.  I need to stay positive.

I kept my chin up.  I dealt with all the stuff that went on in my absence as well as the new stuff that comes up on any given Monday.  Fortunately, some of that stuff was taken out of my hands.  The Future Research Scientist who wanted to see "what would happen" if he dropped a full carton of chocolate milk off the second floor landing learned the hard way that this is a bad idea.  It is an even worse idea if the person who happens to be on the first floor landing is the Assistant Principal...

Fortunately, this is one of those weeks with a built-in reprieve.  On Wednesday, the kiddies will be sent home at the half-day mark so that the teachers can work through the first part of Parent/Teacher Conferences.  On the surface that doesn't sound like a positive thing.  It sounds very much like a full day.  However, I happen to have a really small caseload and, even if every parent were to show up, I'd still have a whole bunch of down time.  And, thus far, I've only got one conference scheduled for the day.  

Of course, I also need to remember that this involves staying at school until 7:00 in the evening.  By 5:00, I'm usually pretty stir crazy, if you want the truth.  But, if I bring along some knitting, I should be OK.  I also have better Internet access at the Middle School than I did at my old school so I can sneak in a little bit of the blog-play during those moments where things start to get boring and I begin to consider tossing milk from the stairwell.  

I'd try it, but it is my understanding that teachers don't get suspended from school so I just can't see the point.  Plus, they'd probably make me clean it up...

We are not going to be telling the AGK about this little event, though.  If he has issues with my making a trip to the convenience store on a Sunday morning, I shudder to even think what he might do if he believed that I was heading off for a twelve hour school day.  I'll just use some of my newly acquired covert skills to pack up some knitting and dinner items while he's not looking.  It'll be fine.  Until I get home, that is...






He's kind of mastered that whole "reproachful look" thing...


SA

8 comments:

sheep#100 said...

Ah, he looks more like he's saying, "What, you want me to move?"

Kath said...

I believe your penance will be measured in head skritches and belly rubs.

mehitabel said...

Poor kitty! And especially, poor Sheepie, having to leave That Face to go wrangle snotty students! I "worked at home" today since D5 had to go in to the office--sigh. No 30 mile (each way) drive, and a sweet Little Missy to play with. My cats hid till she was gone. They have the brains, them cats!

holly said...

Yes, but you can get your Wednesday Night bullet points up for us early maybe? Have fun at p/t night (and dont forget the knitting).

Anonymous said...

Conferences already?? The school year is flying by...

Knitting Linguist said...

It would appear he has. And thanks for the milk story, btw -- it helps me remember that as obnoxious as my college students are, they don't usually experiment with dairy products.

Unknown said...

For such a big kitty, the AGK certainly has tiny eyes. Just as well, who needs a Super Size Reproach look?

My word verification is "coaccies".

That sounds like a personal problem to me.

April said...

You know, I really hate it when my multiple personalities start messing around with my blogger settings.

Stop it, Toque!