Tuesday, April 07, 2009

See The Good, Dislodge The Bad

Much like his Smaller, Less Fluffy sister before him, the Absurdly Gi-normous Kitty has developed a deep and abiding love for the bathroom.  He likes all the water in there.  Water is his third favorite thing, right after yummy soft foods in a can and yummy crunchy foods in a bag.  He hangs out in the bathroom a lot now.  He plays in the tub, he naps in the sink and, when the mood strikes him, he flushes the toilet.

He's a big boy with a big life.  

It took him a while to catch on to the fact that I run the shower in the mornings.  But, once he realized that I was playing in the water without him, he was quick to invite himself to the party.  That's fine.  He just sits on the side of the tub in between the shower curtain and the liner and seems perfectly content.  Or he did until this morning.  

For some reason, and I will never fully understand just what possesses a cat to do what cats do, he decided to climb the shower curtain.  I became aware of this when the rod began to shake and threaten me with total collapse.  The average shower curtain rod is not meant to support wildebeests, after all.  

Now there is really nothing cuter than a kitten on a curtain.  I'm sorry, but it's true.  It's probably not a habit you want them to develop for life, but it is the stuff that kitten stories are made of.  What is so totally not cute is a full-grown (and then some) cat dangling from the top of the shower curtain first thing in the God-forsaken-morning.  Especially when that cat does not wish to be removed from that curtain.  Or when he gets indignant because the hands trying to pry him from his perch are not dry.  Or when he continues this behavior in the evening when you get home from work and there is no earthly reason for it because the shower isn't even running at that point.  

I don't have time for this kind of thing.  I am middle aged.  Every precious second I have in the morning must be dedicated to finding my inner twenty-something.  There are things to be coaxed back into the full, upright position.  Other things need to be smoothed into submission.  I am a busy woman!  The time it takes to convince my cat that he can't play on the shower curtain is time I should be dedicating to finding my eyelashes and losing my third chin.  

Sometimes he just makes me tired...

On the other hand, it could be worse.  I could, for example, be like the son of my Teaching Assistant.  He came to the classroom after school for his ride home and was utterly flummoxed when his mother said that there were eight more school days until the spring break.  He thought we were on vacation next week.  I didn't even have the heart to tease him.  That is just a cruel blow.

And tomorrow is a half-day for the students.  The staff is scheduled to take part in what will probably be the most boring training session to ever be presented on a Wednesday afternoon.  But these are the sorts of things that were made for sock knitting, right?  I'll probably make great progress!  

Then there is the fact that Mommy and Daddy Sheep sent me a card.  I like a nice card every now and again.  I like them even better when they are funny cards designed to brighten up the dark days between now and April vacation.

I love my parents...

Oh!  And then there is the school library, home of the World's Most Wonderful Librarian.  When I say things like, "I don't know...shouldn't I leave those books for the children?"  She says, "The books are there to be read.  And you reading them is what encourages the children to do the same.  Take as many as you want.  Enjoy!"

I love that woman...



These are the things that keep me from hanging alongside my cat on the shower curtain.



And no...


I do not wish to talk about how long it took me to get a clear picture.

Tired.  That's what he makes me...


SA

13 comments:

Jeanne said...

LOL at the image of the violently rustling shower curtain! All mine ever did was stand outside the shower and yowl in horror. The AGK was sent to entertain you, for sure.

Karen said...

I hate to think what would have happened if the shower curtain rod fell.
My son has vacation that same week. I was the sad one though because I thought it was next week too. Bummer.

sheep#100 said...

AGKs do not understand the laws of physics and how they apply to cats.

Yes, I did clicky to embiggen the picture. Yes, I did search Amazon.com for Fablehaven. Yes, my local library has said title.

Of course, I placed a request for it.

Thanks, Sheepie.

Kath said...

Oh lordy - I'm so glad my cat has not learned how to flush the toilet. (yet)

The Host is amazing, it will suck you in so far that if you start reading it after dinner you may find yourself still awake in the wee hours. Never mind why I know this.

Georgi said...

I love your writing, and your description of this morning's shower was hilarious. I read it to my daughter when I was through laughing. You always make my day, thank you so much!

dangerousLee said...

If you haven't seen it yet, perhaps this will make your day:

http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Prejudice-Zombies-Classic-Ultraviolent/dp/1594743347/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239115431&sr=8-1

Anne P said...

Busy little mind, that one has.

(Heh - and THEN some...)

Donna Lee said...

One of my cats used to sit between the liner and the curtain, too. She loved the tub and would sit in it all the time. I had to throw her out to shower. Once, out of spite, I mean in an experiment, I turned on the water while she was in the tub. She ran so fast, she was a blur. She liked to sit in the sink, too. Maybe it was a porcelain thing.....

I miss that cat.

Bridget said...

What a great post! One of our cats actually sits in the shower with you when you're taking a shower - he is not in the least bothered by getting wet.

I'd much rather he tried climbing the curtain, to be honest.

:-)

debsnm said...

But, Sheepie, he lo-o-o-o-o-ves you and wants to be involved in everything you're involved in. He wants to help you to show you how much he loves you and the yummies you give him.
Really, he just wants to help.

Cursing Mama said...

His love for you is a powerful love isn't it. His intentions are good, but he is male so he isn't so great at things like this.

Lorraine said...

At least AGK rescued you from a beige existence!

Diane said...

Let me know if he figures out how to turn the water on and off. I've been trying to teach me cat how to turn the faucet on and off so he can get his own water without my supervision. I suppose I may live to regret this.