Sunday, April 26, 2009

I Prefer To Think Of It As "The Beginning"

Sunday afternoon is upon me and it would be easy to start thinking like a Negative Nellie. I could get all sad because my week of Spring Break is over. I could become rather melancholy as I ponder my fate and begin literally wailing at the thought of going back to school tomorrow to face the students. Most of them won't be any happier about this state of affairs than I so it promises to be...unpleasant.

But I'm not going to go there. I'm going to remain resolutely positive about things. Sure, it was a great vacation and one that I am sorry to see end. The weather was rather nice. There was a cool surprise party for Baby Brother Sheep and many leftovers upon which to nosh for the week. I got to visit with other knitters for a night. I managed to get an oil change for the car and a style change for my hair. I purchased and assembled a new stand for the new TV. I moved lots of things from room to room and pretended that I was cleaning. (we will ignore how stressful this made today as I needed to create some form of order out of that chaos before going back to work or how I'm not exactly finished with this little project...)

Heck, I even knit over ten inches of "dishcloth!" The kind with sleeves...you know what I mean.

Yup. It was a good one. A great deal was done and I feel like I was the very model of productivity without sacrificing my dedication to the fine art of afternoon napping. But I'm not going to mourn the loss of it all. Instead, I am going to look for the silver lining.

We will be going to school quite a bit longer this year. I am not due to be released into the wild until June 22nd. We had an overdose of snow events this season and none of them were conducive to delayed starts or just braving the roads and getting the day over with. In some cases there were lengthy power outages which made opening the school impossible. It was just one of the school years. But that doesn't mean I won't see the end of it at some point. If I can muster up the will, I can survived the coming weeks. The key to ending is beginning. I have to go back so I can start getting ready to leave.

Let's do this!!!

Before I know it, I'll be back at home for summer vacation and all the things I got to do last week will be a semi-permanent kind of arrangement. I'll just call what I did for the past seven days "practice." Practice makes perfect, as the saying goes. I think I'm ready. I just need to keep to the right mind set.

I'm not saying it's going to be easy. I do, after all, have to work at The Bad Job At The Middle School That No One Else Would Take And Which I Have Somehow Managed To Survive For Eight Months Against All Odds. The weather is going to turn muggy soon and this never makes teaching any easier. Plus, the end of the school year is always so busy and nerves become frazzled to the point of needing sedation.

Oh, and then there is the view at my feet whenever I sit on the couch these days:






This does not inspire me to work towards the end point. Not one little bit...


I'm sticking to my plan, though. With every once of strength I have, I shall forge ahead and stagger across that finish line with my sanity intact. I just need to get past that first day back and then I'm good to go through June.

Although it's a little tricky getting past the Absurdly Gi-normous obstruction blocking my way from the couch to the door...

SA

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't trip over the AGK! It would so tragic if you ended up with a broken limb, unable to attend to the needs of your students for the, oh, let's say EIGHT WEEKS until June 22. And regained mobility just in time for summer vacation. Oh, the horror.

(My veri word is "supreagl" which is what you would do on the floor when you tripped. How did Blogger know?)

sophanne said...

I've got your back Annie- you can do it!

And my word verification was "pillem" which I prefer to see as "Pill Them" That would be either you or those happy to be back students.

Donna Lee said...

Every time I sit down, one of my cats has decided that they should sit on my lap. And when it's suddenly 90 degrees, the last thing you want is a furry presence. What's up with this summer stuff anyway? I want my spring back.

sheep#100 said...

Just looking at that Absurdly Gi-normous mound of fur is making me hot. We, too, have gone straight from winter to summer here in the region of chez trek. Though the weather forecast is calling for spring to happen towards the middle of the week.

Should I refrain from mentioning that my students are haing exams the next couple of weeks and then the semester will end?

Anonymous said...

I saw somthing on my livingroom floor yesterday that looked remarkably like your AGK. The only difference was that the blob on my floor was black and white.

I'm mourning going back to work after this beautiful weekend; I want to spin on the deck some more!

Anne P said...

Egads. That boy is...um.. Rubenesque! Obviously he'd like you to stay home right now, despite the June deadline that appears to be set already, eh?

Karen said...

Are you sure he's a domestic cat? He looks more alien cat to me.
The time from April vacation to June 22 will pass in a flash, or at least that's what I'm hoping.

Cursing Mama said...

Maybe if you started stocking up on those frozen popsicle things now you could use them to not only bribe the students into good behavior but also cool your room come June.

And, I am no longer officially envious of all your snow days. Just tell us you aren't one of those schools that start before labor day... mine is.

Knitting Linguist said...

Bwahahaha! Someone has clearly got the whole vacation thing down pat. I hope your first day back wasn't too bad...

Mia said...

Forge ahead sheepie.. and watch where yer goin'. I love that cat.


My word verif is "thendof"

The End Of

What??????????? Yikes!

=Tamar said...

My high school graduation was June 23, and it wasn't even a snow-day winter, just normal timing. We also started at 8 AM and didn't get out until 3 PM. Uphill both ways.
Have fun with the volcanoes!