Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Reality And The Degree To Which I Do Not Care For It

Yesterday was a truly lovely sort of day. Money was deposited unto me by the nice people at the Internal Revenue Service.

(which was really my money all along and we don't want to get into how using the U.S. government as a savings account is a rather dubious kind of investment strategy...)

I forced myself to follow through on purchasing that new television that I'd been promising myself for nigh on two years.

(a very responsible purchase in many respects considering the sale price and other markdowns, but maybe not the best thing for a "role model" to do during T.V Turnoff Week festivities at her school...)

I cast aside all thoughts of the usual Monday afternoon workout in favor of watching the new moving picture contraption with all its fancy-schmancy buttons and goo-gaws.

(I might as well have worked out. All that moving of televisions pulled more muscles than I even knew I had. Sheepie is sore today...)

The sun was shining, the breezes were blowing and the birds sang cheerily as if celebrating my happy day. I can't recall just when I've had such a wonderful Monday!

Today was more along the lines of "too real." It is the week before school vacation and the students who inhabit the middle school with Ms. Sheep are running the emotional gamut from "too exuberant to even be borne" to "grumpy with a side of nasty." They are not the sort of people you would be choosing to hang with if you had your pick. I had a meeting at 8:00 this morning which I'd neglected to put on my calendar. One of my teaching assistants was out, but all of the students elected to show up.

Once home, there was no real justification for not doing the Tuesday workout. I hadn't been lugging televisions all over the place to compensate for any sluggishness. Then I found myself all overcome with some weird form of "responsible behavior" and used part of my income tax refund monies to pay the credit card bill early this month rather than late. Someone over at the payment processing department is probably breathing into a paper bag even as I type. I've probably put them on permanent disability from the shock of receiving an on-time payment bearing my name.

Like I need that kind of guilt on my shoulders! Next month, I can assure you that I will return to my fiscally negligent ways. I'm not the kind of person who can handle such responsibility for my fellow man and his emotional well-being.

Too real. I have developed a taste for fun-filled days and big presents that provide me with high definition. I want to return to those halcyon afternoons where everything is all joyful. How can I be expected to go back to my work-a-day existence when I've experienced a Happy Monday?

I'm ignoring it all. I'm putting on blinders so that I can only see what is directly in front of me. (That way I won't fall down any stairs.) I'm leaving these blinders on until Friday afternoon when I can begin my week of Spring Break, knit when the mood strikes and watch my new TV into the wee hours.

In the meantime, just to keep myself from getting too overwhelmed by any reality that might sneak past my blinders, I have the second book in the Fablehaven series. This way I can indulge my new found love of all things so very not real while I wait out the days until Friday. That should hold me.

And if someone could call my credit card company to check on the nice people who process online payments, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I'll be all worried about them being passed out on the floor while my early payment flashes on their computer screens and that will harsh my non-reality-based mellow...

SA

7 comments:

Mel said...

Maybe we'll look at an HDTV next year. It certainly would be nice not to have to plug into half a dozen different devices just to get a whole other half dozen devices talking with the TV.

sheep#100 said...

Wel, I would have been the first commenter tonight had my freakin' Internet Explorer not flaked out and frozen. :/

Anyway...

"Grumpy with a side of nasty" just shouldn't have to be borne the week before vacation.

PS - I just cracked open Fablehaven.

Mouse said...

I've been looking around for a new tv for Munchkin.. he ended up with MY old tv (which is about 15 years old!)and its finally decided that it does not recognize 'red' as an actual color anymore.

Knitting Linguist said...

Thank goodness for fantasy reading -- it really takes the edge off of that whole real life thing...

Mia said...

so how IS that TV? truly wonderful? hehehe. I think new TVs should definitely take priority overworkouts. I think it's a law or something.

Karen said...

They're doing a turn off the tv thing at your school the week you bought a new tv. That's crazy.

Cursing Mama said...

I love messing with the credit card people, but I bet they brace themselves this time of year. With the people paying off cards, paying early, paying more than the minimum.. and their inability to bill late fees and interest; it must drive them crazy.