Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Thinking About It Too Much...

There is a certain irony in a three day weekend.  No one should spend as much time as I do finding irony in long respites from work, but it seems that I can't help myself.  God forbid I enjoy it too much...

Here's the thing: A three day weekend is great.  You get the regular weekend and then a "bonus day."  Sunday night becomes less about getting ready for the drudgery that is to come and more about staying up late and feeling sorry for all the people who have to work for a living.  You get to thinking you're a person of leisure.  You tell yourself things like, "I could get used to this..."

But the "bonus day" isn't really any longer than a regular day.  It's not like you are retired.  You are simply putting off having to get ready to go back to work by 24 hours.  They are nice 24 hours, don't get me wrong.  But Tuesday suddenly starts feeling like Monday and that is not a good feeling.  Further, you have now gotten all jazzed up about the whole retirement thing and lost any interest in being gainfully employed. 

Now most people would celebrate should the Tuesday-Which-Is-Like-A-Monday actually turn out to be a day where you not teach children but finish up that Safety Procedures course.  They might even call it a good thing.  You get to put off that whole pesky Mundane Routine for another 24 hours.  It's not quite a "bonus day" as you are actually in a school (if not your own) and you are still teaching (just not kids...) but it is a great way to transition back in theory.

I had such a day today and can report that it is actually a great transition back to the job.

But now it is Tuesday-Which-Is-Like-A-Monday night and it feels like Sunday all over again.  Except that it is also the night before I go back into a classroom filled with children who have not had my calming influence for a whole day and that is going to make Wednesday-Which-Feels-Like-Monday feel like A Whole Week, Monday Included.

It's all very confusing, not to mention depressing.  I enjoyed my long weekend of knitting, spindling and watching very bad zombie movies.  I liked not having to go back to the classroom today and getting to hang out with adults.  Plus I feel rather guilty for complaining since lots of people just have to work and don't get things like "bonus days." 

My head hurts.  Too much over-processing, not enough finding things to wear tomorrow or getting the coffee ready.  I'll probably be late to work for The-First-Day-Of-The-Week-Which-Is-Some-Day-That-I-Now-Can't-Clearly-Recall.  I need to stop thinking about it.  I should really try and focus on other stuff.

At least that's what the Absurdly Gi-normous Kitty thinks:




Quit yer belly-achin', Woman and bring me some kibble!!!


I'm not going to reward this sort of behavior, fear not.  He will get his kibble at the usual time and it will be served from a bowl in the kitchen.  But the theory itself is a good one and the advice sound.  I'll just stop thinking about what day it is and how sad I feel about having to work for a living instead of staying home finishing up that Happy Pink Sockie.

Although I think it only fair to point out how much kibble I could be serving if every day was a "bonus day."

SA

13 comments:

Mel said...

All that processing is making my brain hurt, too. Of course, I'm on my way to Salt Lake City to help David at a huge trade show and will be missing my next Sunday and Monday nights on, so you can imagine how that's going to throw me for a loop.

I think I'll find the strength to manage, though.

sheep#100 said...

Today was definitely one of those not-quite-sure-which-day-of-the-week-it-is days.

But I know tht it really is Tuesday. I checked: I called the department secretary and it really is Tuesday and I really do have to schlep myself and my supplies all the way across the county to teach computer literacy at the un-Goldy hour of 8am tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

But by starting your child teaching week on Wednesday you will teach one day and the next day be able to say "oh good tomorrow is Friday".
AGK looks a lot like a football watching human in that position. It's a wonder he wasn't looking for chips and a cold beer.

Kath said...

Think of it this way - getting up and going to work not only ensures that the kibble continues regular delivery to AGK and BFK, but it also allows Sheepie to pursue important research into preparing for zombie invasions!

Jeanne said...

Oh, that photo, it should be submitted to Cheezburger because it would make the perfect LOL!

Anonymous said...

Sunday nights here, at least from April to October, are all about the "we don't have to go back to the city tonight so we can go to work tomorrow because we live here at the lake. HA! HA! HA!" I love that. Besides, it takes exactly zero thought.

Anonymous said...

I love a long weekend, but I think the 4-day work week always feels like a 6-day work week. Must have something to do with not knowing what day it is.

Donna Lee said...

Being one of those people who don't get bonus days, I can attest that it is indeed Wednesday. I know this because it's the third time this week i have gotten out of bed in the cold dark morning and schlepped into work. Only two more and then the weekend!

knitseashore said...

I'm all confused this week too. But I'm with Karen on the "oh good tomorrow is Friday" that we get to say tomorrow!

Knitting Linguist said...

I agree with the AGK -- overprocessing is much less fun (and yummy) than kibble. Go with the kibble.

Cursing Mama said...

I totally lounged about on Monday (when I realize I should have been out serving my community - but I'll do that a different day) and dreamed about the day when I can retire and lounge about reading and drinking coffee every morning.
Tuesday was rather disappointing, I even calculated roughly how many days until retirement - don't do that.

Leigh said...

I like three day weekends because they are always with a four day work week!

Beth said...

What a great picture and caption to go with it!