Sunday, December 14, 2008

An Apparent Dress Rehearsal

Mommy and Daddy Sheep called yesterday to report that their power came back on in the late afternoon hours.  Owing to the fact that they have sensibly installed a generator and were able to enjoy heat, light and hot food that they did not cook over candles as I did, we were scheduled to proceed with our Christmas Dress Rehearsal regardless.  But it was ever so much better to know that we were going to be doing it under less trying circumstances.

Niece Sheep and Great Nephew Sheep are soon to be heading south to spend the holiday in warmer climes with the in-laws so we all gathered this afternoon for lunch and an early start to the Christmas season. 

(Waving to the in-laws... Niece Sheep's MIL is a reader, it seems!) 

While it meant getting a few things done sooner than is my habit, this was a very good thing.  It seems that I have managed to work my way through the stockpile of gift bags, wrapping paper and tissue over the past few years.  I had enough to wrap up a few gifts, but it would have been a very sad thing, indeed, had I made this discovery on Christmas Eve when I usually resign myself to the task of wrapping.

For the record, I seem to have an endless supply of gift tags and tape.  In fact, should I be so inclined, I could open up a Tape 'n Tags Emporium and make a small fortune.  I'd be living the good life and could maybe even use some of the proceeds to get more wrapping paper...

Niece Sheep's scarf was late to the blocking mat, but did finally make it.  I guess I got all caught up in the Ice Storm Survival mayhem and didn't really think about getting that done in a timely fashion.  As such, I ended up pinning it out and giving it a steam instead of the proper blocking that I think it really needed.




It was still kinda purty, though...


In the interest of making everyone feel like it was Christmas, Mommy Sheep brought forth one or two gifts for all instead of just showering the younger folks.  Nestled in amongst my loot was what will probably go down in Holiday History as one of  my favorite prezzies ever:


It's one of Franklin's ornaments!!!!


That went right up on the tree within minutes of my arriving home.  I'm so very glad to have received it in time to be able to enjoy it during its seasonal appropriateness!  Mommy Sheep has come a long way over the past few years.  She is now very much in tune with our Knit Blogger values and understands the significance of certain things.  She walks in the way of the knitter...

I have but one complaint.  It's a small thing, really.  But I feel that it bears mentioning.  It is required of all Great Aunts Who Are In Possession Of A Camera to bring it along when there are opportunities to take forty or so pictures of their great nephew.  More than that, I think it is a law.  I could look it up, but I don't really feel like taking the time.  If it's not, it should be...

At any rate, I think there should also be some rules around this.  However, I am the only one who seems to feel this way.  Apparently, should the Great Aunt in question decide to allow her brother to take possession of the camera for the sole and clearly stated purpose of viewing the pictures on the memory card, liberties are taken.  And, apparently, should the aforementioned Great Aunt decide to take a minute to get a little face time with her nephew, have a civilized sort of discussion and perhaps offer him some sage words of advice regarding his future and whatnot, the camera will be used in a manner not previously discussed.


I ask you, is this how a Great Aunt of my standing and reputation should be portrayed????


It is also, apparently, a bad idea for a Great Aunt to repeatedly and with maybe more amusement than is really necessary, refer to her Baby Brother Sheep as a "Grandfather."  I could be wrong.  But, one has to wonder.  

Was saying it twenty or so times too much?

SA


10 comments:

sheep#100 said...

Number Guy answers the question, "I ask you, is this how a Great Aunt of my standing and reputation should be portrayed????" with

"Heck, yeah."

PS - Way to make nice with the Knitterly Daughter Sheep!

Kath said...

No - I don't think twenty times is too much. Actually I think as Big Sister Sheep you were kind of slacking because last I heard the appropriate number was fifty.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Kath. 50 times seems more appropriate.
The ornament is one of the nicest gifts I've ever seen. You are a lucky sheep!

Teri S. said...

Calling Baby Brother Sheep "Grandfather" is a bad thing? Absolutely not, because that is what he is, after all. My baby brother recently became a grandfather as well and you can bet that I'm going to be calling him that this Christmas!

It sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas Dress Rehearsal, despite the horrendous weather earlier. I'm glad everyone survived.

mehitabel said...

I think it's a wonderful picture of a great great-aunt, so there! As one who has never ever been an aunt, or a godmother for that matter, I know how these things are supposed to work. Isn't it true that the people with NO experience are the ones who make the rules??

April said...

Wow Sheepie, are you ever skinny.

Donna Lee said...

Looks like you've got the great-aunt thing down pat. And I would use every opportunity to use the word grandfather around my brother. Unfortunately, my brother is 10 years younger than me and his kids are still little so i will hear "grandmom" long before he hears grandfather.

Mia said...

oh i'd have been right on the floor playin' with that little snickerdoodle too! *grin* Looks like you were havin' F.U.N. :)

Yarnhog said...

My aunt became a great-grandmother three years ago, at age 55. She visited with the great-grandbaby yesterday. I teased her a lot. So, no, 20 times is not unreasonable.

Cathy said...

Love the photo!!

Sibling rivalry just never ends...