Thursday, March 01, 2007

Of Dentists, Snow And Fibers...

Time: 12:30 pm.

Place: The Reception Desk At The Offices Of Dr. DeSade, DMD.

The Sheep stands before the smiling receptionist for her usual post-appointment recap.

Smiling Receptionist: And what restorative work do we need to schedule this time?

Sheepish Annie: Uh...none. I'm good.

SR: Oh. Really???

SA: Yeah.

They stare at one another for several seconds, nonplussed. This is unfamiliar territory.

SA: Um...I don't know what I'm supposed to do now.

They each cast their eyes downward, somewhat embarrassed by the awkwardness of the moment.

They then burst into laughter.


I am happy to report that I made it through my dentist appointment today with flying colors and only slightly elevated blood pressure. (I know this because they now check it for me when I go in...this is new) The hygienist even had time to schedule my next cleaning while we were waiting for Dr. DeSade, DMD to come in and do the exam so the receptionist and I had very little to take care of once I was released from the chair of doom. In fact...we had nothing to take care of. We were flummoxed by this development. The normal course of events requires the checking of calendars, juggling of appointments and creative explanations to the insurance company. To be able to just leave the office with a jaunty, "have a super-riffic day" is simply outside our ken. We were both highly amused by this turn of events and this marks the first time I have laughed while in this particular dentist's office. Barring a rogue cannon ball flying through my window, ricocheting off a light fixture and chipping an incisor, I don't have to go back until September.

Whatever will I do with my days?

I did have a little errand to take care of today that used up of a few of the empty hours. The radar, satellites and twelve sided die casters are all in agreement that we have a rather disturbing amount of snow coming our way. The most optimistic forecast I've seen is calling for six inches. The more doomy and gloomy types are thinking that we might see over a foot. Given that we at the coast will be seeing a changeover to sleet and freezing rain, I'm leaning towards the lesser amounts, but either way it is a snow day in the making. I see little to no chance of my having school tomorrow and decided that it might make sense to re-stock the larder while I had the day off to do it. Thus, I banked on continued good fortune following my dentist appointment and hit the grocery store. It was moderately busy and there was a certain amount of the grumpiness going on with the store employees, but I was feeling pretty good about myself what with the shiny teeth and all, so I maintained my perky demeanor throughout.

With the freezer stocked with the pepperoni pizza and a good supply of Mountain Dew in the fridge, I am ready for whatever may come my way. All I need now is a little something to keep me occupied. Hmmmm....whatever shall I do to wile away the snowy hours?




This might do!
There are certainly a few other projects hanging from various needles and bobbins around here and they will most likely get their due. But my love affair with The Shire continues. I recently purchased four ounces of this run-yer-fingers-through-it-and-moan blend from Wooly Wonka Fibers and it just cried out to meet my new spindle. It was a match made in heaven! I wander by them periodically throughout my day and just have to stop 'n spin. I then set it lovingly back in the basket until the next moment that it calls. This method of spinning appeals to my highly distractable nature and has resulted in rather impressive progress yardage-wise. I am almost finished with the first 2 oz. lot. It's all very low-pressure, really. And oh, so satisfying....
And so The Sheep waits with shining teeth, full cupboards and compliant fibers for the second major storm of the year to hit the great state of Maine. Let the snow fly!
I've got my game on!!!
SA

12 comments:

Olga said...

Got your game face on too? 'cause with the blizzard we is having, things might turn into the Donner party around here by day 2....

sheep#100 said...

Wicked good! YAY SHEEP!

Stay warm.

Brandie said...

Glad you had a good dentist appointment. I go for a cleaning in less than 2 weeks now. I know I will not walk out the way you walked out. :-(
Enjoy the snow day. Have fun spinning!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the excellent appointment!

When I saw your beautiful yarn, I called E. over to look at the picture. She was impressed, too. My yarn looks rope compared to your yarn! Great job!

Sheila said...

I actually reached out and tried to touch your yarn, silly me. It looks fantastic!
Glad your dat went well, and I'm sending snow day thoughts your way.

Cathy said...

heh heh. Tolda the Shire is well-behaved and plays well with spindles. Stay warm and wear your sunglasses when looking in the mirror!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the snow! I'm going to be spinning too :-)

Lazuli said...

Congratulations on your successful dentist visit! I'm so not looking forward to my next dental visit... it's been way, way too long since the last one, which spells doom for the as-yet-unscheduled next one... oops! Enjoy the snow! We just get icky rain here.

Mel said...

We made it Downeast to my grandmother's and hope to be able to make it home Saturday evening, but our plans to scope out possible wedding venues on Friday sounds like it may be a bust.

Are you sure you didn't say "anus" even once?

Anonymous said...

Snow day -- hurrah! We're in the midst of a couple here in Minneapolis. Enjoy your knitting and spinning time.

Maybe pepperoni pizza and Mountain Dew are... good for teeth? Who knew?

Anonymous said...

YAY!! There is nothing like getting a break away from the dentist!
I hope you got your snow day. My daughter came home from school yesterday grumbling because they had announced what the schedule for today would be if they had a delay. She said they jinxed everything and you know what, she was right.
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

Emma said...

Congrats on the clean teeth! The full larder, fun fiber, and approaching snow sounds so cozy. Hope you enjoy it all.