Monday, January 01, 2007

Party Sheep!

I'm at that stage of life where most of my peers are of the "married with children" subset. As the lone single gal in the gaggle, I'm often the object of envy, what with my freedom and all. Sure, they have little people who are obligated to puree their frozen pizza for them in their golden years...but they are often tethered to hearth, home and a conventional lifestyle. I, on the other hand, am footloose and fancy-free! So, to all my settled friends out there, I give you: New Year's Rocking Eve, Sheep Style!!!

(note: there were pictures planned for this post. Blogger considered my request. Then said, "no." Repeatedly. I'm not so footloose that I am not subject to one or two masters)

Date: December 31st, 2006 Place: Casa De Sheepie

6:00 p.m.: Dress for the evening. Due to the celebratory nature of the date, it is decided to go for the clean flannel p.j.'s rather than the ones worn since the middle of last week.

6:45 p.m.: Remove leftover frozen pizza from oven. Arrange artistically on plate. Admire while pizza cools. Photograph for future generations to admire.

7:20 p.m.: Commence sock knitting.

8:00 p.m.: Briefly debate whether to drink Mountain Dew from champagne glass to add a festive touch. Remember that we tried this last year and had to get up every ten minutes to refill the glass. Champagne glasses don't hold much. Abandon this plan and continue drinking from Supersized plastic tumbler.

8:10 p.m.: Still wanting a more classed-up method of soda consumption, decided to henceforth drink Mountain Dew with pinky extended. Discover the cup is too heavy for this.

8: 12 p.m.: Mop up Mountain Dew from carpet and couch. Change flannel pajamas.

9:22 p.m.: Assemble cats for a discussion regarding their behavior during the past year. Offer constructive suggestions for improvement in the New Year. Attempt to demonstrate litterbox cleaning methods.

9:30 p.m.: Realize that cats have departed for parts unknown. Search briefly. Lose interest. Resume sock knitting.

9:45 p.m.: Run out of Mountain Dew. Panic. Consider drinking water for the remainder of the evening as it is a healthier choice.

10:00 p.m.: Throw coat over pajamas and make a 7-11 run for more Mountain Dew.

10:16 p.m.: Return home. Make the same joke several times with regard to how you can now say that you went, "out" on New Year's Eve. Laugh uproariously. Ignore disdainful looks on the faces of the recently returned felines.

10:34 p.m.: Note sock progress. Determine that this sock can be finished by midnight easily! Strain shoulder whilst patting own back.

10:35 p.m.: Beautifully wound yarn ball suddenly turns into a time bomb and self-destructs into a mass of tangled sock yarn. Neighbors are startled by loud howling noises from Sheep residence.

10:46 p.m.: Painstakingly rescue a length of yarn that should complete the sock. Swear a lot.

11:20 p.m.: Take a break from sock knitting and contemplate a Toblerone bar. Wonder why it is triangular. Determine that it makes it taste better. Test theory by eating entire bar.

11:25 p.m.: Read Toblerone nutrition info. Realize fat content. Weep softly into nearly-completed sock.

11:45 p.m. Knit furiously. Question why the heck it is so important to finish this stupid thing in '06. Fail to come up with an answer, but knit on anyway.

11:57 p.m.: Kitchener toe of sock. Weave ends. Put on foot. Wave foot in air and sing, "We Are The Champions." Cats depart once more for quieter locales.

12:01 a.m.: Become distracted by images of happy, frolicking peoples on the television. Realize that, for the second year in a row, the actual transition from year to year has been missed. Try to find the will to care. Can't. Return to admiring sock.

From this point until 2:00 in the a.m. I pretty much untangled sock yarn. I woke up this morning as achy and bleary eyed as if I'd spent the night dancing and pounding Long Island Iced Teas. But, the yarn was successfully teased from it's spaghetti-like state and sock #2 has been on the needles since 7:00 this morning.

So, there you have it! A wild and crazy night in the life of this partying Sheep. Not everyone can maintain this lifestyle, I realize. Thus, I consider it a public service to bring it to all of you who lead more sedate lives.

Tomorrow, I must return to the classroom, however. The vacation is over and my life of leisure has ended. (some might say, "not with a bang, but a whimper") It's for the best, really. It's not like I can keep this up for any length of time, really. And the jobs are what support this lifestyle, dontcha know.

That and the cats have asked to have the house back. They find my wild and crazy ways somewhat disruptive.



Beth said...

Our evenings sound eerily similar. :) I was living it up, too!

I drank Coke from the can, though, and the pizza was made on a whole wheat English muffin. (Can we really call that pizza?) My knitting was a dishcloth. The other differences: I did happen to see the ball go down and I didn't spill my drink on my pajamas from trying to drink in a fancy way. :)

I hope you get back into the swing of things quickly at school. Have a great 2007!

Anonymous said...

I had a very similar New Year's Eve celebration. However, I was in bed by 10pm!

Reading the nutrional label AFTER the consumption of the candy is always a very good idea. I mean really, wouldn't you rather weep after having enjoyed the chocolate than to have decided against eating it because of the week's worth of fat in it?

Vicki in So. Cal. said...

Happy New Year!

My New Year's Eve was spent at home too. Fondue instead of pizza, cross stitch baby quilt instead of knitting ( wish it was knitting, I'm good at knitting. Cross stitch is NOT my thing! I'm slower than a crippled snail, it may never be finished and my grand-daughter is due Jan. 10th.) and I'm married although this barely counts since he went to bed at 10:30 with the cat leaving me and the dog to ring in the New Year. And this is the New Years I prefer, really don't want to go out. The quiet at home is the best thing after the hectic Christmas season, for me anyway.

Mouse said...

I sat at home, eating (delivery) pizza and watching "Dog the Bounty Hunter" with my husband.. not much more exciting than your night. Though I didn't have to clean up Mountain Dew from the carpet either..

camadsmom said...

My New Year was very exciting. Freinds did come over and bring Chinees food but due to there almost 3 month old child they opted to leave around ten and I was snoozing away befor the ball dropped. CamMad's Dad made it to after midnight. I didn't get to make any thing in fact this week has seen a lack of any crafting of any kind. I have played an amazing amount of Sorry, Cadoo and the Good Night Moon Game. Happy New Year,

Anne said...

This year, we managed to stay up until 11:30 Eastern time, which is actually 9:30 Mountain time, where we actually live, but that seems to me to be a minor detail. You had a way more rockin' evening (Dick Clark or otherwise) than we did, let me tell ya.

Annie said...

Actually the first part of our evenings sound the same- except I was asleep by 10:30. Sheep are definitely party animals, aren't they?!

Wendy said...

Sounds like my evening. My friends are always telling me they are jealous that I am not tied down by a family, but once in a while I am jealous of them.

Bobbi said...

Sounds like a nice evening. I considering having one while getting ready to go out with a friend to a party at his friends house. Social situations like that cause anxiety and I thought New Years would be much better rung in from the comfort of my own sofa and pjs. But I mustered my courage and went, and I'm glad to report had a great time! Happy New Year!

trek said...

Sheeeeeeeep is the Champion, my friend!

Was sleeping before midnight.
Neatnik wakes up early.

Diana said...

I was snoring by 10 PM.

Sheila said...

I was reading and teaching my MIL to knit, went to bed at 11:30, and woke up to the sound of fireworks at 12:00. (yes, they are illegal here, but people do it anyway). Some neighbors put on quite a show...lasted for 10 minutes or so, very professional looking; was back to sleep by 12:30.
Good times....

catsmum said...

wouldn't that be "hoofloose" and fancy free?
substitute migraine meds for the pizza, a cup of chai for the Mountain Dew, a baby shirt in sport weight cotton for the sock - well done btw - and summer jammies for the flannel and we're in the ballpark.
Couch, TV and felines ...sounds good to me !!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on completing another sock in 2006!
I rang 2007 in in bed sound asleep. I knew I'd be up by 6 with the wee one so better to stick with the regular schedule and be functional than have fun.
Happy New Year! I hope your reentry into regular life is easy.

Knittymama said...

Happy New Year Sheepie!cecil29

Amy Boogie said...

YAY sock!!
I would have done nothing less, if I hadn't been asleep by 9. Happy new year!

C said...

I,too, would have stayed up to finish a sock. Fortunately, I was in bed at 9 and slept thru any fireworks. I must ask tho - when you changed your PJs due to the Mtn Dew spill - did you actually have a 3rd pair to wear OR did you put on the ones you had worn for days?