Thursday, January 18, 2007

You Gotta Dig Deep.

Sometimes a Sheep finds reserves deep within her woolly self that she didn't even know were in there. Other times, not so much. I can be a lazy little critter. But I'm capable of surprising myself. Sometimes...

I was tired last night after my teaching day and the start of my new class. Too pooped to pop. Too tuckered to tango. Too weary to wander... But, apparently I had some of the git 'er done spirit left in me because I somehow managed to finish this:



One sock finished. And the cat is not impressed.
But I felt pretty good about it. And if my self-esteem is that dependent upon the felines of the household then I may have some problems. Okay. I'll admit that I'd hoped for a little more of the love. But you can't please everybody. You should have seen them when I came home tonight with a giant tub of fresh kitty litter. I was elevated to hero status.
I ended up doing a bit more of the grocery shopping tonight than I normally do on a Thursday. Shopping night is Friday. As I usually end up having some sort of, "incident" when I attempt to do my weekly marketing, I prefer to do it on a night when I don't have to be at work the next day. I need the recovery time. I often don't sleep so well after grocery shopping. I spend a great deal of time lying awake in my bed wondering why everyone is out to get me. Or at the very least determined to make me wait in line for endless hours in order that I might gain sustenance and fabric softener.
However, it looks like we might be having something of a, "weather event" tomorrow and I wanted to make sure that there was frozen pepperoni pizza in the house. As I pretty much eat nothing else, there is a very good chance that I will starve should I be trapped for even a short period of time with none of the chilly pizza goodness on hand. Tonight, I may lie awake pondering the behavior of my fellow shoppers, but I will do so knowing that there will be pizza in the house. In the best case scenario, I'll be having a snow day tomorrow. But, I 'm not thinking that's going to be the case at this point. I'll need to review the weather data before I feel comfortable making a solid prediction. Another three day weekend would be quite the coup, though.
Maybe the cats would be more impressed with a second sock?
SA

13 comments:

sheep#100 said...

Cats just don't impress. Sorry, not at all. Silly kitties.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are really cranking out the socks! The latest one is beautiful.

Sounds like we could get a bit of the icy/rainy/snowy/sleety/sh*tty stuff like we got on Monday. You were a very smart sheep to get your pizzas tonight.

Anonymous said...

That sure is one unimpressed looking cat. I presonally think the sock looks lovely.

April said...

Frankly, the last creature I'd look to for reaffirmation of my self worth would be one that licks their butt.

April said...

I meant to add - the sock looks fantastic! I may have had one beer too many this evening.

Anonymous said...

I think that's a great sock! I have always found that those who don't wear socks are hard to impress. Look at it this way, how impressed would you be if the kitties dropped a dead mouse at your feet?
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

Teri S. said...

I'm impressed, even if the cat isn't. You're a braver woman than I to be braving the grocery store before a weather "event." I refuse to stand in line while people buy 10 gallons of milk and 100 rolls of toilet paper to get them through a weather event that will most likely bring one inch of snow. I hope you get another three-day weekend!

lobstah said...

I am wondering if you had to work today. It looks like most of the cancelled schools are in central maine. This storm is disappointing me so far...it's not even snowing right now :( And, I'm stuck at work!

Anonymous said...

The kitties are always so blase about our knitting triumphs, aren't they?! Sometimes I have to do bribes before they show any enthusiasm. Your sock looks lovely, and maybe if you held a treat in the other hand, they'd show the proper adoration?

Thank you for the comments on my bike. I am hoping that Grace rubs off. On my old bike, I got my shoelace caught in the pedals once, and went down, down, down. So I need all the help I can get!!!

catsmum said...

how can they not be impressed with such a beautiful sock ? Love the colourway... but then it's blue so I would, wouldn't I?
I left you a pressie [ and everyone else ] over on my Blog
hugz

catsmum said...

Hi sweety
I checked the unblocked gauge for the mitts ... 12 stitches = 2" but I don't think it's all that crucial because that lace can be stretched quite a bit during blocking..
Have fun

mehitabel said...

The only thing that impresses my cats about me is my ability to pop a can of Fancy Feast. Of course I've managed to step on, or kick, Simon at least four times today--black cat on dark brown carpet = invisibility! Wish we'd get a little "weather" here, no rain in sight and we're drying up and blowing away!

Lorraine said...

What amazes me about cats is their ability to express such disdain. They are masters of the sneer. Lovely sock, though. STR?