Monday, February 23, 2009

Needed/Not Needed

There will come a day not long from now when you will feel the urge to remind me of what I said.  You may even feel that it is your solemn responsibility to do so.  You will be one of many who think this is a wise course of action and you may have to wait in line to get virtual face time with me.  But you will probably feel that it is worth it to queue up.

I would ask you to think twice about that course of action.  I will be grumpy and will soon have the time on my hands necessary to start tracking people down.  School will be closed at that point and I will need a hobby.  I'm not threatening.  I'm just saying is all...

I had mixed feelings about today's storm and its potential to keep me at home.  I also had mixed feelings about whether I wanted this to happen.  "Snow Days" are rather nice, but also need to be made up.  Hence, should the superintendent decide to keep us home for the day, there is one more 95 degree afternoon spent in high humidity with sweating teen aged boys in my future.  That is not something to which I look forward.

On the other hand, I really haven't been feeling all that well of late.  You may or may not have heard me mention that.  I know I've been remarkably discreet about the whole matter.  You could easily have missed my having dropped little hints here and there about how I was under the weather.  I'm really quite good about suffering in silence.  

But sickly I have been and I was a tad worried about how I was going to fare today at school.  When the call came at 5:00 this morning and my snow day was confirmed, I was relieved.  And, in spite of maybe doing a bit more than I should have, there was a little extra rest involved in my schedule.  I feel all the better for it.  In fact, today is the best I've felt in two weeks.  I'm still stuffy, but my sinuses are no longer trying to blow out of my face and I have used a mere fraction of the tissues I'd been gooing up.  

After a leisurely breakfast of half-frozen waffles, I dosed myself with some cold medications and set about my day.  I did a bit of laundry.  I finally used up that beef I took out of the freezer days ago in a rather wretched attempt at stew.  (I ate it...but I wept for the cow)   I finished a book.  I explained to The Absurdly Gi-normous Kitty for the umpteenth time that his sister does not love him and that he should just stop trying so hard. I suggested that he might learn to accept her tolerance of him and let that be good enough.  I tidied up the kitchen and obediently moved my car for the snow plows even though my stupid neighbor is still stubbornly refusing to move his.  (I am twice his age and sickly.  How it is that I can summon up the will to do this while he cannot is beyond me)  Then I spent some more time explaining the whole "glass half full" thing to the AGK.

Late in the day, I even did some knitting while I rode the little exercise bike for the first time in ages.  I could feel every single piece of that half-priced chocolate jiggling about my mid-section in protest throughout that little activity, let me tell you.




But I did not knit on a sleeve.  That is just part of the "dishcloth."  We are sticking with that story.

It was a good snow day.  I needed it.  I needed it almost as much as I did not need it.  However, I still maintain that it would be a very bad idea to remind me of this come the end of June.  I will need another day off by then and will not be getting one unless some weird snowstorm happens.  Then we will just be going back into the cycle of make-up days and you can see how that could get confusing.  We don't even want to mention the part where it will be The End Of Days since all that snow is falling in what is normally summery-type weather.  Frankly, I'll just be hot, tired and grumpy and in no mood to hear about how I needed this day today.  Even if I really did need it because of that sickness I've hardly been mentioning at all.

I'm going back tomorrow.  I feel a bit better.  I think I have the strength to make it to the Spring Break.  Think good thoughts for smooth days and well-behaved children in my classroom.  It's a long stretch to the next vacation. 

And then we have those make-up days...

SA

12 comments:

sheep#100 said...

Know what? We don't do make up days for the classes missed due to snow storms. We just have to cram all of the missed material in somehow...

Kath said...

Well, you really really really needed that extra day. So you may pay for it later...but it was still a win.

Anonymous said...

Back when I was in school, in the times when when the school buses had to play "dodge the dinosaurs", we didn't have to make up snow days until we had had X number of them, something like 5 or so. That was a dandy system. You might want to lobby your legislator for that.

Glad to head the goo tide has finally begun to ebb. That was nasty.

PICAdrienne said...

I will hope for you to have a chilly June, and a glorious July and August. Glad to know you are feeling better.

Anonymous said...

"unless some weird snowstorm happens"...be careful what you wish for...we WILL be reminding you of that one!

I agree...this was a needed snow day for you...

Anonymous said...

I saw photos of your snow event. That snow day was necessary. I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better.

Lorraine said...

That "dishcloth" is looking fabulous.

That's all I'm gonna say . . . I've seen you smite those who upset you.

Anonymous said...

We didn't get a snow day here; of course the snow we got (after the rain) was finished by sometime in the middle of the night.

As for making up the days, aren't you into July by now and isn't there something in your contract that says you cannot work in July? :-)

Cursing Mama said...

I recently saw at Target that they sell little man deodorants for about $1 each - it might be a good idea to start stocking up on those things for each of your teenage charges...could make those humid days just a wee bit better.

Knitting Linguist said...

Don't think about those make-up days right now; it's just pre-suffering, which is never a good thing.

Donna Lee said...

I'm glad you got the day off, even if you have to make it up. That little bit of extra rest probably made all the difference. Nice dishcloth.

debsnm said...

First, let me preface this by saying this is entirely NOT normal for us, but yesterday we hit around 75. You should seriously consider moving south. I understand how you enjoy the snow, and all, but the sunshine is so much better! Think about it, k?