Saturday, February 21, 2009

By Way Of Contrast

I was reflecting upon my vacation week earlier today and couldn't help but remember last year's version of this event.  I knit a pair of socks.  Not "a" sock.  Two of them.  And they were the same which makes them a pair. I also seem to recall doing lots of other stuff.  Some of it may be blown somewhat out of proportion in my mind's eye since I am prone to do that every now and again.  Still, I really do remember that vacation fondly.  I felt like I'd done what I set out to do.

This year's February break has been, shall we say, "a little bit different."  There has been less in the way of doin' stuff and more in the way of laying on the couch.  This was certainly not my intention going in, mind you.  I realize that I sometimes overestimate what I can realistically accomplish in a given time frame, but this is ridiculous.  I will be going back to work on Monday and leaving the manse in even more of a disastrous state than when I staggered in last Friday.  

What started out as The Worst Cold In The Whole Wide World, morphed into The Goo, then took a left turn towards Flu Territory has finally managed to manifest itself into something that is very much bacterial in nature and maybe even something I could get a nice prescription for.  Well...I could get one if I didn't have to go back to work on Monday and no longer had the time for such frivolous activities as obtaining life-saving drugs.  Fortunately, there is a really good clinic at the high school in my district and, assuming I can sweet-talk the children into behaving for more than five minutes at a stretch, I might be able to scoot over there at lunch sometime next week.

I don't care anymore.  I'm just tired of talking about it.  Two weeks is enough.  Besides, I did kind of go to the doctor yesterday.  Of course, I wasn't the actual patient.  I was the chauffeur responsible for transporting my friend to her appointment.  Apparently, if you are in a vehicle that is struck by another vehicle at high speed, you may end up with the front part of your hip somewhere in the vicinity of your hindquarters.  Who knew?  You also can't drive.  Or sit in most chairs.  Or walk.  Or anything else, really.

Ironically, I was the sickest person  in the waiting room who wasn't actually there for medical treatment. That will look good on my resume.  And, were it not for the inch of sock I knit while waiting, I would have very little of a knitted nature to report after my week of vacation.

Plus it was probably good to get out of the house and breathe air not already contaminated by my own lungs.  Not that the circumstances were the best, but it was rather nice to catch up with my friend.  I haven't seen her in a while.  She's pretty much the same except for that cool walker thingie with the basket...

I awoke this morning to find that my fever was under 100 F( 37.78 C) and this pleased me.  It is the last day in the Half-Priced Chocolate Observance and I would have hated to miss that.  (Hey, if Christmas can have 12 days and New Year's gets and "eve" and a "day," then my own personal holiday can last a week if I so decree it...)  I also figured I should take advantage of the good weather.  There's a storm coming in tonight, I hear tell.  If the body temperature was under triple digits and the roads were clear, it made sense to get the shopping done while I could.  


I am a true believer in 50% off chocolate.  For those of you keeping track, this is my third candy run this week.


I guess maybe the whole vacation wasn't a total loss.  I did get to visit with a friend and there is plenty of chocolate in the house in case of an emergency.  It's not the same as knitting a pair of socks or being able to walk the streets without people pointing and gasping in horror.  But it will do.  I'll take what I can get at this point.  

But I'm still hoping for a spontaneous recovery and a full pair of socks to magically leap off the needles before Monday rolls around.   In a world where chocolate can plummet to half price in 24 hours, anything is possible, right?

SA

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spontaneous recovery? I think not. Get thee to the doctor for some of those fancy-schmancy antibiotics we have all heard so much about. The Goo is nothing to be trifled with.

Good work on the chocolate, though ;-)

Kath said...

Oh yes, I think it's past time for drugs. Go get some good ones! Unless of course you were planning to practice germ warfare at school...

Ronni said...

I'm sorry you had so much sick on your vacation. It's not fair. I always get really mad when I end up wasting my vacation being sick. I hope you can get the good meds sooner rather than later and feel better really soon.

sheep#100 said...

I sort of rather remember telling you, in my best Mommy voice, to go to the doctor. I meant, "Go to the doctor and get examined" not "Go to the doctor and wait for someone else to get examined."

Still, you were a Good Samaritan and that counts for a lot. Just not to viri and bacteria.

Anonymous said...

Go.To.The.Doctor. Threaten the kids that you'll cough on them if they don't behave and then they'll be so sick they won't be able to do anything. At least telephone the doctor; sometimes they'll phone a prescription to the drugstore if they hear you cough on the phone. (Hey, it happened for me once.)

holly said...

It might be time for the drugs, but you could try a neti pot too. I just discoved them, and it did wonders to ward off the full blown sinus infection my colds usually turn into. Good score on the chocolates--there's not much leftover choc to be found around here!

Mia said...

Oh, now that candy haul makes me proud Sheepie. I got 6 heart boxes myself yesterday - 75% off - I had no choice!

And ya might think about that scootin' over to the doctor thing on Monday, let's not wait till later in the week, eh?

Anne P said...

Yeah 2 weeks is too long. I vote for a clinic/doctor visit and some drugs. Chocolate is a miracle worker, but even it has its limits.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could trick the kids into behaving so you can get to the clinic Monday morning. Don't let that sickness linger too long or it may morph into something worse.
It is amazing that no matter how badly we feel we can always help a friend and scout out discounted chocolate. I hope your friend is better quickly and that you enjoy your chocolate.

Beth said...

Where are you getting all this half price chocolate? The special table at our store cleared out a while ago. Hope you can get some meds soon!

knitseashore said...

I hope you are feeling better soon; it stinks that you have been sick during vacation. There ought to be a law!

If only they would make chocolate antibiotics, or put antibiotics in the 50% chocolate, that would make the whole thing so much easier. :)