Monday, February 16, 2009

Hope And Goo Spring Eternal

I am pleased to report that The Worst Cold In The Whole Wide World has decided to withdraw the troops.  Yes, the initial assault is over.  I hate the first wave.  It is the part where the generals decided to carpet bomb the target with histamines and all they can do is itch and sneeze.

Of course, this tactical retreat is nothing more than a means for getting the enemy to relax a bit.  Once the sneezing is done, the second assault begins and that involves the packing of the chest and sinuses with goo.  The hope here is that the victim will just surrender before the shock and awe of being surrounded by mountains of used tissues becomes completely overwhelming.  Or they are so unnerved by the sound of their own slurpy breathing that they go utterly mad.

But you don't need to hear about that.  That is not the sort of thing that one discusses in polite company.  You can just use your imagination should you really want that mental picture on a Monday...

This all might be enough to make the average person sink into despair and the endless viewing of infomercials.  I, however, am made of sterner stuff.  I am on vacation and will not be brought to my knees by a little excess goo in my noggin.  Well...at least not until around 2:00.  Then I'll have to take a nap, but I'd be doing that anyway.  That is just part of the routine during school vacation week and has nothing whatsoever to do with the effects of OTC cold medications.

OK.  It did maybe have a little to do with the purple medicine.  But I maintain that napping would have occurred no matter what.

Yup.  I'm a trouper.  I doggedly went about my vacationing as if there weren't a tissue stuck in every pocket and one stashed up my sleeve because that is just how I roll.  I broke out the swift and finally wound up some more of that yarn for "the dishcloth" (with sleeves) because I remain ever-hopeful that there will be enough of the stuff to finish the project.  I transferred the gi-normous pile of dirty dishes from the sink to the dishwasher and pushed the "go" button because I remain ever-hopeful that I will one day remember to take the clean dishes out and make room for the dirty ones before they form a gi-normous pile.  I fired up the vacuum cleaner and dragged it around the carpet for a while because I remain ever-hopeful that someday the vacuuming will "take" and I won't have to ever do it again.

I also took a break to watch the PandaCam because I remain ever-hopeful that, one day, a panda will wave back at me:



They never do, though.  In fact, I think that the panda was looking a little peaked today.  Maybe he has a cold, too...


More importantly, I returned to the grocery store because I was ever-hopeful that they had managed to put together their clearance table for Half-Priced Chocolate Day The Second.  It doesn't always pay to be ever-hopeful.  More often than not, you run out of yarn, the gi-normous pile of dirty dishes in the sink topples over onto the kitchen floor and the carpets do not start spontaneously rejecting cat hair.  You even have to start your vacation with a cold sometimes and that hardly seems fair at all!

Other times, though, you are rewarded for your optimism:

 
And half-priced candy appears on the clearance table just like it is supposed to!


It is only the first day of vacation, but I do think it went well.  And who knows?  Maybe the military geniuses behind The Worst Cold In The Whole Wide World will give up and let me enjoy the majority of it goo-free.  If not, at least I got some leftover Valentines candy on the cheap, right?  

I can always hope...

SA


12 comments:

sheep#100 said...

If you can't evict the goo, then chocolate is the next best line of defense. Both JK Rowling and Jim Butcher swear that it cures all kinds of things.

Of course, their protagonists *are* wizarding types...

Anonymous said...

Either it was all gone already yesterday or the local stores don't acknowledge Our Holiday of Half-Priced Chocolate.
Phooey.

Anonymous said...

Here's hoping for a goo-reduced Tuesday for you! With chocolate :-)

Knitting Linguist said...

Cheap chocolate definitely saves the day. And if you ever figure out how to get the vacuuming to take, will you let me know?

Kath said...

The goo phase doesn't ever bother me so much because I know it's just a phase. It's the next wave i hate...the Lung-Buster Cough Of Eternity!

Beth said...

Chocolate is good medicine!

Mia said...

well, two bags of chocolate are pretty modest to call a score - but we'll say it's so. Now enjoy those naps today! I'd almost suffer thru a cold if it would mean i could stay home and nap!

Anonymous said...

You were so lucky to score the good stuff for half price. I hope you are as lucky with the cold.

Donna Lee said...

I never made it to the store to look for half priced chocolate. It's probably a good thing because it's not like I need chocolate. I am in no way addicted to chocolate. I just like to make sure there is some in the house at all times. Just in case.

Anonymous said...

Excellent score on the chocolates. That and some lovely tea and you are all set to thoroughly enjoy your recuperation and vacation.

Cursing Mama said...

I'm really holding out for 75% off chocolate day. Hopefully that day will never come because really - I don't NEED any chocolate.

debsnm said...

Wha??? How???? When??? Geeze, I'm gone for 4 days, and the whole place changes. I can't cope without the green. Please put back the green. Where's my green?
Oh, yeah, by the way - glad you're better and the vacation is going, well, it's going.