Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Fun Has Left The Room

Vacation is over and school is back in session.  Let's take a look at what's going on in Ms. Sheep's classroom today.  We can always find examples of studious behavior and devotion to knowledge in that Hallowed Hall Of Learning:

It is 10:00 and Ms. Sheep is rushing back to her classroom after yet another meeting.  She hasn't rushed in a while.  She has been on vacation for a week and had an extra day off due to weather.  She is out of rush practice.  She does not care for rushing.  If she has ever doubted this, she will do so no more.  Rushing is definitely a most unpleasant activity, even when it is very necessary in order that she tell everyone everything she needs to share.  Her intention at the end of this current rush is to speak with one of her teaching assistants.  She rockets through the first room which comprises her teaching space and enters the back classroom just in time to hear one of her new students (The Girl Who Has More Attitude Than One Would Think Possible In Such A Tiny Person) in mid-speech:

"...she is, like, so totally the opposite of fun!  I mean, like, when she comes into a room, she sucks all the fun right out of it!"

There is silence followed by:

"She is standing right behind me, isn't she?"

What can I say?  I am stealthy.  Even when rushing, I have ninja-like stealth goin' on.  TGWHMATOWTPISATP and I are cool, though.  She had the good grace to look  little embarrassed and the self-confidence to see the humor in this sort of situation.  She's a pistol, that one.  I appreciate the "pistols" of our world.  They keep things interesting.

And I do tend to suck the fun out of a room, at least from the teen aged perspective.  Who wouldn't feel like their joy had been vacuumed away when told that it is not a good idea to lock a sixth grader in the bathroom or that the school laptops are not for downloading videos of dogs doing things that the dogs' mommies would be embarrassed to see on the World Wide Web.  I am a killer of all things humorous.  It is what I do.  

And I wear very sensible shoes with very quiet soles.  

With all the rushing and fun sucking, I was rather tired when the day was done.  I'm still battling this Goo-Based Infection From The Very Bowels Of Hell, although I have to admit that things are looking better.  I was able to make it through a full day without too much difficulty and was only told that I looked horrible three times.  That is an improvement.  I even did my time on the little exercise bike (complete with knitting, but it is not a sleeve and don't even try and argue that it is) before calling the day "done."  Still, I anticipate sleeping very well tonight.  I'm tired.  It is only Tuesday and there are still three more days to survive before I can say I made it through my first week back after school vacation.

I need my rest.  There's a whole lotta fun out there waiting to be vanquished.  And I am but one killer of joy.

SA

17 comments:

Donna Lee said...

I have a boss that sucks the very life out of a room. You can just feel your life shortening as you sit there. It's awful.

And as a teacher, it's your sworn duty to keep them from having fun on the school grounds. Fun is for after school! Everyone knows that.

sheep#100 said...

I don't let them have fun in my classroom, either. I don't even allow them the text messaging. I evict the ones I catch trying to twiddle their thumbs beneath the desks. So far this semester, I've evicted students from class twice.

They don't seem to learn from the infractions of others, do they?

Mel said...

Speaking of bowels, it's probably a good thing the goo hasn't decided to go there. That would be hellish, indeed.

PICAdrienne said...

No, I am the Mom of three monsters, two of whom are of the appropriate age for your school (and one would probably be in your class...he would be 11 year old with wry sense of humor) and one in the older school, still freeloading on society. I suck the fun out of life as they know it. And, I like it!

Kath said...

Many years ago I had a supervisor who every year would wear bells tied to her shoes for the entire month of December. As annoying as it was, it was also just so darn helpful!

Beth said...

Glad you survived your first day back, oh stealthy one!

Mizzle said...

Maybe it's because you put all the fun into the blog?

Or maybe she just wouldn't know fun if it bit her in the nose... (I wonder how that would work... is that what those plastic clown noses are for? The ones that pinch your nose real hard?)

Word verification: Carmen. Wow, opera!

Anonymous said...

That's too funny. For what it's worth, I happen to think you put all the fun into a room :-)

Anonymous said...

I figure as a parent, it is my goal to make responsible productive members of society of my children (I have four). My goals is/was not to be their BFF. I suspect being a good teacher is quite similar, goal-wise. I'd rather my kids have a teacher who enforces the rules and teaches my kids consequences than one who is only a blast to be around!

Keep wearing those sensible silent shoes!

Anne P said...

Glad to hear you are feeling a little better!

Ronni said...

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. Julie and Dianna are right. I hope your feeling better trend continues on till you are back to peak condition.

Cursing Mama said...

Getting new bizness cards made?

Sheepish Annie
Knitting/Spinning/Fun-Sucking

Knittymama said...

Fun sucker, hah! Sometimes you actually make me miss teaching middle school, just for comments such s those:-)

Yarnhog said...

Oh, I can so picture that scene.

I once walked into the family room while my teenage stepson was still humming the last notes of his secret theme music for me--the Darth Vader theme. You should have seen the look on his face. I love that boy.

I've named you for an award! Check my blog for details. :)

Knitting Linguist said...

I had to laugh. A friend's teenage daughter took to calling her a "funsucker" last year. Of course, we took all the fun out of that by making sucking noises at the aforementioned teenager every time my friend sucked the fun out of her life. We cracked us up.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are a fun sucker. But really you aren't.

Don't these children realise that they too suck the fun out of us adults?

I wouldn't have you any other way.

beth (big geek)

Anonymous said...

Ah, but you don't waste the fun you suck out of them, you redistribute it to us. I am sure we need it more.