Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Goo Is Sticky Stuff

Anyone else who has a tendency to pick up respiratory infections will understand me completely when I say that the worst of the cold is not over with the worst of it.  Once the sneezing is done and the nose stops running, I actually feel quite a bit better.  It should be done.

But that is not always the way these things go.  More often than not, the cold leaves behind a great deal of congestion and that is where things stand tonight.  The Goo has infiltrated my sinuses and every time I blow my nose there is an alarming squeal in my right ear, sometimes followed by a pop that makes me wince every time.  Some of The Goo has gotten adventurous and traveled to parts south where it is rattling around my lungs as it tours the countryside.  A little bit of The Goo was convinced to exit the premises once faced with a sternly worded notice of eviction.  But most of it just laughed, rattled and popped before going back about the business of being Goo.

This doesn't necessarily mean that I am heading for a sinus infection, nor does it automatically indicate bronchitis.  But I've certainly had my share of experience with The Goo and I know the paths it can take.  Even though I had plans to head south for Chicks With Sticks and some communal knitting, I knew it was probably not a good idea.  The only defense against Goo Gone Wild is rest.  I always feel so faint of heart when I opt to take it easy, but I clearly recall the last time I said to myself, "Oh, don't be silly...I'm sure it will all be fine.  I'll just take some NyQuil and carry on.  How bad can a cold possibly get, after all?"

I ended up with pneumonia was sick for a month.  Not going there again.

So here I am at home instead of going to Knit Night.  I'm as OK with being at home as I am with going out.  I'm just a little bit bummed since I won't have the chance to head down that way until April unless I quit my job.  Which I'd do in a heartbeat if they'd pay me to sit at home until Tuesday night's knitting group.  I should look into that...

There are good things about hearth and home, I suppose.  The kitties are never all that thrilled to see me heading towards the door.  They are always pretty clear about their feelings on the matter of my social life and will use a variety of strategies to keep me on the couch.  The Absurdly Gi-normous Kitty decided to fake a cold.  That makes perfect sense since he's had quite the role model for cold symptoms around here lately.



Yook!  I can haz Goo jus' yike Mummy!

The Big, Fluffy Kitty simply resorted to her, "And just where do you think you're going, young lady?" look.  


Which is fairly impressive.  And a little intimidating, if you want the truth...


The "dishcloth" was also kind of happy that I made the choice to stay in.  Once it got used to being sneezed on forty six times per night, it didn't mind at all.  


And it's even going to get a sleeve if all goes well!  If things go amazingly well, it might get two!



A night at home is not so bad, I guess.  Even if I'm stuck here in a wad of Goo.  There's the knitting and the kitties, not to mention the hope that I will get past this Goo-Fest.  I have one or two obligations coming up and need to be healthy for those.  Staying home was the responsible thing to do, even if it meant giving up something to which I've been looking forward for weeks.  I feel like the better person for having done the right thing.

That doesn't mean that I didn't make brownies, though.  I'm not made of stone.  I may be responsible and all...

But I'm not immune to the need for comfort food when stuck with The Goo


SA



17 comments:

Mel said...

Mmmmmmm, now I want brownies, but I really don't want to go out to get ingredients. Or a box of mix.

Fortunately, we do have some ice cream in the fridge. Shain's ice cream, which is made in Sanford and which we've only just discovered. The Cashew Caramel Turtle, at least, is tasty stuff.

Mel said...

I said fridge, but you know I meant freezer, right? We don't really eat ice cream soup around here.

sheep#100 said...

I'm so glad I just ate a heap of fresh strawberries, otherwise I'd be all, "I've got to go bake some brownies now."

Get rid of the goo.

Kath said...

Whoa - that's quite the evil eye BFK is giving! I would imagine that the other Chicks With Sticks will appreciate that you kept your Goo at home also!

Knitting Linguist said...

Brownies are excellent weapons in the fight against Goo. They're also excellent consolation prizes when one chooses to stay home and get better instead of going to Knit Night. Now I want brownies, too.

Anonymous said...

May I recommend a Neti pot? They're strange to use, but do wonders for goo elimination. No guarantees on the bronchitis, but it does reduce odds of a sinus infection.

Feel better.

Scienceprincess

Beth said...

I absoultely LOVE the look on the BFK's face. She is definitely intimidating.

I'm glad you're taking it easy. It's been a nasty winter with that bug.

Mizzle said...

Wow.

You really can't be feeling well if you're talking about pneumonia and bronchitis instead of Monkey Pox!

Get well soon!

Anonymous said...

We missed you at knit night, but totally understand. Get rid of that Goo before it decides to move in for good!

Mia said...

That looks like far too many brownies for one sick sheepie - I think i better come over and help ya get rid of some :)

Donna Lee said...

Someone recently was talking about a cold and reminded me of vapo-rub. I had forgotten the smell of Vick's and how that seemed to help. Maybe it can help the goo in your chest, unless you'd rather use the really good cough syrup (I'd go for the cough syrup, it makes me sleep)

Anonymous said...

Brownies are perfect for the goo.
BFK looks a little scary. Good choice you made staying home. I wouldn't want to mess with her.

Anonymous said...

My husband has been drowning in the goo, too. He tried to share it with me but I fought it off with vitamin C.

Be afraid of BFK. Be very afraid. She has got that intimidation thing down cold.

My verification word is "unclog" -- how perfect it that?!

Luna said...

Staying in and getting better was probably the right choice. I tried to power through a cold earlier this winter and was rewarded with a month-long sinus infection and an outbreak of hives. Not the right choice. Trying to show how tough you are just isn't worth it.

Get better soon!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm Brownies. Way to go girl!
BTW - take care of yourself!

PICAdrienne said...

Around here we have been experimenting with worlds most dangerous cake. It is a chocolate cake cooked in the microwave in a coffee cup. Cake in 5 minutes done in the microwave with only one dish to clean, it is very dangerous. We have decided it is better with some cinnamon added. Let me know if you want to live dangerously.

Of course, if you want to live dangerously, just cross BFK, I think she would seriously get you.

Anonymous said...

Are you sharing those brownies? I'd risk catching the Goo for brownies.

Hope you're feeling better soon.....