Tuesday, July 14, 2009


I awoke this morning to kitchen chaos.

OK. That is maybe a bit of an exaggeration. However, I did find a cupboard opened and the contents strewn about the kitchen floor. The culprit in this case is obvious and I don't think I need to even bother pointing fingers. Suffice it to say that I did not have this problem until June of last year when a certain Kitty of The Absurdly Gi-normous persuasion came to live here.

Actually, it's been a while since he's done that on a regular basis. It was a nightly occurrence for a while there and I still have the duct tape still in place on a few doors that stand between him and the toxic items. Frankly, I think he's come a long way. I was particularly impressed with how a dish towel had been dragged from its spot on the oven door handle and artfully draped over the whole mess. It shows that the AGK has at least some concept of "right" and "wrong" and the need to try to hide certain nocturnal activities.

What bothers me is that I never heard a single thing last night. I slept like the dead. How a cat can manage to empty a cupboard of pots, pans, small appliances and a billion plastic containers that are being hidden until their corresponding lids can be located is a question for the ages.

But I think I may have the answer.

We've all been on the allergy-prone side for the last few weeks. The Big, Fluffy Kitty was a bit later than is the norm, but she has started to show signs of the sniffles. And the Absurdly Gi-normous Kitty has been battling runny eyes and sneezes off and on since June. I thought I was maybe going to avoid the whole thing, but I'm wondering if maybe my time has arrived.

It wasn't a bad day, by any stretch of the imagination. But I found myself a bit tired and nursing a sore throat by the afternoon. I gave some thought to staying in tonight and not going to my Summer Of Compensatory Knitting Socialization (S.O.C.K.S.) session, but quickly discarded the notion. That would be wrong. I took a brief nap to refresh myself.

I thought about it again while I was showering for the event. I was still really tired, plus the sun had gone away. I was dreading the drive down to York in the rain for yet another Tuesday night. I firmly told myself to stop being silly. I was going.

I grabbed a Hot Pocket from the microwave for sustenance because no one should knit socially on an empty stomach and packed extra tissues for the road. Then I checked my email just in case I'd missed anything important while I was napping, showering and whatnot.

And it was there I learned that one of the game sites to which I subscribe has my latest credit ready for redemption. I belong to a couple of these sites and I can never remember who is ready for me to download a game. For that matter, I keep telling myself that a 44 year old woman probably shouldn't be subscribing to game sites but that is neither here nor there.

Suffice it to say, that was the end of me and S.O.C.K.S tonight. Between the laziness, the snufflies and the immediate access to a new computer game, I could see no way of avoiding the fact that I was staying in tonight. It's probably for the best. Allergies make me grumpy. I'll just stay in and work on that scarf. It's moving along nicely and is just the thing for a Sneezy Sheepie. And, because I was now officially calling in S.I.C.K to S.O.C.K.S, I figured I should break out the little fondue pot for some chocolate dipped goodies. When one is unwell, one should keep up one's strength.

Of course, I feel guilty about it. I really do hate missing a Knit Night. I don't get to knit in the wild very often and try to take advantage of the summer schedule while it lasts. Then there's the whole chocolate-induced guilt. I don't think that the occasional sniffle really necessitates the ingestion of an entire pot of chocolate. But, for better or for worse, the deed is done. I'm home and too stuffed with chocolate to really do anything about it now.

Maybe I should try tossing a tea towel over myself and hide my shame. The AGK seemed to feel better after doing that...



Anonymous said...

Feel better soon. Every once and a while a lazy night is a good thing.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

At least you were freshly showered for your game night :)

trek said...

Being S.I.C.K. instead of going to S.O.C.K.S. S.U.C.K.S.

Feel better.

Anonymous said...

Chocolate dipped goodies sounds like the perfect remedie for a sick sheep. Hope you feel better soon.

We missed you tonight!

Knitting Linguist said...

Tea towels certainly have a multitude of uses. I'm sorry you're not feeling well, but it sounds to me like you did exactly the right thing. Chocolate makes everything better :)

Karen said...

I hope you feel better. Don't feel guilty.

Anonymous said...

Bein' as I subscribe to Pogo.com - I totally understand :) If only it wasn't blocked at work....


Donna Lee said...

We're being hit with the allergies, too. I think it's because after all that rain, everything that can bloom is blooming. Lots of pollen all around. Sore throats and sneezes and itchy eyes all around. Yuck.

I'd have stayed home, too. In fact, I was thinking of staying home from work but I hear they frown on that sort of thing.

Kath said...

Hmmm.., well on my last round of sniffles I tried a healthy dose of Mexican beer with chips and salsa. Beer to stay hydrated and the salsa burned the germies out - that was the theory. I can't tell you if it was effective but I did feel better!

I think your chocolate fondue idea is legit - 'specially if you were dipping fruit chunks in the fondue!