Saturday, March 21, 2009

Fickle Weather, Fickle Sheepie

I was driving home from school yesterday (A long day, BTW.  I woke up thinking it was Saturday, even though I knew perfectly well it wasn't) and couldn't help but notice how much bare earth was showing along the roadside.  Spring/Not-Quite-Spring is a weird thing.  One day it looks like it will be winter forever and the next you are shedding your jacket.  Then you have a blizzard and think dire thoughts about locking yourself in a closet where you won't have to look at "weather" ever again.  It hasn't snowed or anything.  In fact, it has been rather Spring-y around here.  It's kind of easy to be lulled into a false sense of seasonal security at these times.

And I am nothing if not easily lulled.  I am lullable.  Look up "lull" in the dictionary and you'll see a picture of me looking all lullish.  I'm all about the green grass and sunny skies these days.  I'm feeling quite giddy.

I think that might explain my rather fickle behavior today.  I'm a lullified, fickled up Sheepie, I tellya!  This may not be a recognized condition yet, but mark my words:  It Shall Be!  I will personally fund the research so that I can use this as the excuse for my next two or three sick days.

The fact that I will be returning cans, mowing lawns and digging loose change out of the sofa cushions to fund this project will probably keep things at the theoretical stage for a while.  Unless, of course, any of you would like to contribute.  I'll write your sick notes for you if you do...

At any rate, I'm not exactly focused over here in the land of Possibly False Spring.  With a perfectly good fleece already half spun and a bobbin of the stuff awaiting completion at the wheel, I could simply sit down over over there and spend some time with that.  A sock so close to completion that I can almost feel the yarn encircling my foot in its cozy warmth is sitting not two feet away from me in the knitting basket.  I have also unearthed a single sock that I knit last summer who would probably feel more content in this life if it had a mate.  

Any of these little projects would have been a lovely way to pass the day today.  Not only would they have filled the hours with pleasant activity, but I would have been awash with the satisfaction of a job almost done.  I would have felt all responsible and productive.

But I attended to none of the aforementioned projects.  Instead, I found a spindle and played with that.  It wasn't even anything that I'd planned on doing.  Or thought about planning on doing.  Or even remembered that I had in the fiber stash.  I just saw it and got all excited thanks to my overly fickled, lullification.  I spindled away without a care in the world for all things pending.



And I didn't even finish it.  Sad.  Very sad...


I suppose that's the beauty of something one does as a hobby, though.  I've never really found my fiber pursuits to be a pressurized kind of activity.  I sometimes get a little tweaked when the holidays draw nigh but, mostly, I don't worry about it.  I do it for funsies.  Funsies don't come with stringsies.  And Non-Stringed Funsies are quite well suited to we Ficklized Lullened Peoples.

I do sometimes wish I could be more like the Absurdly Gi-normous Kitty, though.  He can focus on more than one task at a time and combine his most favorite things in one, gi-normous hobby-fest.  He can surround himself with comfort objects without missing a beat.



Here we see him with two of his most beloved things: his Dollar Store Cat Cave and his Stolen Scrap Of Wallpaper.


Since he hasn't removed any further paper from the walls, I can only assume that this is one he hid from me while I was stalking about the manse, muttering all the Very Bad Words and collecting the bits of interior decoration he'd stolen from these hallowed halls.  When I discovered this one, I just left it there.  What's the point?  If he wants wallpaper, he'll just take more.  It's probably in my best interest to let him have this one until I can afford to strip the old paper and put up some non-shredding paint.  

Besides, I want to study him further.  He's like a role model.  Even with the possible advent of warmer days, he can still multi-task.  There is much to learn and still one more day of weekend left to go...

SA

8 comments:

sheep#100 said...

VBG!

Lorraine said...

So that's what's got me in it's thrall - lullishness. And I thought I was just being a scatterbrain.

Maybe we should form a support group for False Spring Lullites?

Kath said...

I see AGK is also doing a fine job of holding down the floor while simultaneously providing a decorative accent to the room. Excellent multi-tasking!

Anonymous said...

"Funsies don't come with stringsies" had me giggling.

Mia said...

Happy Sunday - enjoy it for the day it is. And that kitty... how can he possibly looks so adorable when you KNOW he's been bein' bad? hehehe

Anne P said...

He obviously has figgered out the zen of being him. Look at that content little face!

We could all learn something from the AGK.

Knitting Linguist said...

is *that* the problem I'm having with finding any sort of focus? Spring? I'll definitely fund that research (since I'm apparently getting none of my own done and need a good excuse). I like that fiber you're spinning. Hmmm... Maybe I should go play with my other spindle...

Lynne said...

AGK doesn't look like he'd have the inclination for anything as strenuous as wallpaper removal, does he? But looks can be deceiving!

BTW, my word verification is 'spinda' - I guess that backs your theory about hobbies and fun! "You go spinda fleece, girl!"