Saturday, December 01, 2007

But Everything Is a Dollar!!!

I'm a sucker for the Dollar Store.  And, with the holidays upon us, I'm even more easily seduced by its siren song.  No.  I don't do my Christmas shopping at the Dollar Store.  Although, I must admit that if I thought I could get away with it, I'd probably do it in a heartbeat.  

But, I know I'd get caught.  This is sort of how things work in my world. 

You can't beat it for boxes, ribbons and cute little package toppers, though.  This is the kind of place that satisfies my need to embellish with wild abandon and still have money left over for purchasing gifts that reflect my true affection for people.  That would be more than a dollar, just for the record.  I like my friends and family for the most part. 

However. I am in between paychecks at the moment so I decided to put my disposable income towards food and kitty litter rather than wander through the Store Of Cheap Goods.  The plan was to go to the grocery store bright and early, thus avoiding the temptation of the Dollar Store that lurks next door but which doesn't open until 9:00.  I would triumph over my desire to purchase irregular tube socks and oddly shaped plastic tree ornaments.  Yup.  My new motto is:  The Early Sheep Catches The Penny Saved And Eats A Worm...or something like that.

But, I got a little distracted by the joys of lolling about in the early morning hours, I'm afraid.  I enjoyed that second cup of coffee.  I chatted with the engaging Rabbitch.  I watched a few cartoons.  In short, I let the morning get away from me and, before I knew it, the 9:00 hour had arrived.  I'd missed the early shopping window.  

Which is how I ended up spending $25.00 at the Dollar Store.  But, I found some really cute little tins for packaging up edible goodies and some cinnamon sticks that will be perfect to go with the oranges and lemons I'm drying right now.  What can I say?  I am weak in the face of a dollar-based pricing system.  And besides, can you really put a price on a nice, relaxing morning?

I'll find some sort of support group after the holidays.  Meanwhile, let's set aside this unpleasant addition to my list of obsessions and look at a sock, shall we?  




I may be a Dollar Store addicted lay-about, but I can still make some progress on a sock if I put my mind to it.


It's a bit more clear now how the decreases in the cuff change up the patterning a bit.  But, I still think that the fit will more than make up for that.  In theory, I'll have a less constricting experience at the calf, while still enjoying a smooth fit at the the ankle.  I do hate ankle baggage, you see.  This, of course, remains pure theory.  I haven't tried them on or anything crazy like that.  And I do believe that Sockotta's cotton content is going to lead to some loss of fiber memory no matter what I do.  But, I love the crisp look of the stitches and I think that these will ultimately be pretty comfy even if the fit doesn't quite work out as planned.  You can't get that for a dollar, that's for sure!  Even I can admit that...

Lastly, thanks for the good feedback on Thursday's post regarding children and the protection of personal information.  That's one of those topics that sort of fell into my lap that day, frankly.  It is also one that might lead readers to think we should all live in a state of high alert and fear.  But, that is never my intention.  Quite the opposite, really.  I have been an educator and counselor to families and children for many, many years now.  In that storied career, I've worked with both victims and offenders.  (and many who fall into both categories by the time they reach adulthood)  It's kind of my job to be a little paranoid.  But, I don't teach that.  Instead, I preach empowerment.  I think that the whole point of living smart is to avoid having to live in fear.  The world is a pretty good place (yes, I really do believe that) and it doesn't have to be scary at all.  

Unless, of course, you are me and have given in to your two great obsessions in one week.  For those of you keeping track, there has been one Underpants Purchasing Incident (bringing my current total back up to somewhere around 40) and a Dollar Store Detour.  This is scary, indeed!

SA

16 comments:

Anne said...

Isn't there a great line in RoboCop along the lines of "I'll buy THAT for a dollar!" ?? I think so, though I may be so dazed with codeine cough syrup that I have the wrong movie. Anyway, your morning sounds great, and after all, you're only spending U.S. dollars (worth less than Canadian dollars right now, yes?) ....

Anonymous said...

If you look at how much you saved by shopping at the dollar store, you really had to go.
The sock looks great!
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

Anonymous said...

The sock looks great!

I never get out of the house when planned on a Saturday; it just doesn't make sense to rush on the only day I don't have to.

holly said...

You can't beat going there for the $3 100-string of mini lights when you've discovered last year's no longer work. I, too, was at the dollar store today and got lured by the pretty little decorations (and the peanut M&M's!).

Marianne said...

Mmmmm...peanut M&Ms... oh...dollar stores... I just avert my eyes and keep on going :^)
Pretty sock!

Knitting Linguist said...

We are all about the Sockotta here -- washes and wears like a dream. The sock looks lovely!

Mia said...

hey, cool socks! And I understand the dollar store. And walmart. They call out to us. You go girl :)

And thanks for the card, it was absolutely adorable!!!

Anonymous said...

Your sock is tres beautiful and do NOT be tooooo hard on yourself re: the Dollar Store, you are NOT alone in your fascination with all things marked one dollar!!!

Have a great week.

PS: Tell D and P that the kitties here appreciated the feedback re: fav.toys! Are they hinting for a turbo chaser after seeing Mystery Man Mr. C in action?

Mel said...

Chatting with Rabbitch, eh? And you think walking into the dollar store is a slippery slope. *snigger*

Rabbitch said...

Man, I think I own like six pairs of underpants.

And I sleep with one of them on my head.

And I enjoyed talking with you this morning also.

Susan Pandorf said...

I have completely surrendered to A.M. sloth. I never schedule anything for the morning hours if I can help it. Around Sunflower Designs, we knit until we drop (or until noon - whichever comes sooner.)

Of course it helps that I can call it work. (It's really play, but don't tell anyone...)

Blessings!

sheep#100 said...

There are somethings - like packing tape and Number Guy's favorite shaving cream that I can only get at the local dollar emporium.

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

I think you're lucky to only have gotten out of there with only spending $25!


Those socks are looking good!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun time! I agree that the dollar store is a good place for paper, bows, trims, etc. Your sock looks terrific!

Donna Lee said...

I really love the dollar store. I go there for the cat litter and buy so much more. And that underwear thing? I totally get it. I love buying underwear. You can never have too many pairs of clean underwear.

Em said...

The dollar store is one of my favorite retail environments. Where else can one go in and spend twenty-five dollars and come out with more than a single bag? Good on you for indulging in a less-dangerous environment! (sorry, i'm very much a shopping enabler. no support here, just ask my nice lady mom)