Monday, July 23, 2007

Oh Dear...

Well, would you look at the time??? It's just after midnight. It seems that Sheepie was out whooping it up on the town tonight. Let the good times rollllllll!

In other words, I was actually found to be wearing shoes after 5:00, playing a rockin' game of cards with a 7 year old and discussing whether ice cream sundaes are better with or without sprinkles. For the record, they are better with, but fine without.

And on a Monday, no less. Shameful behavior.

Tonight, I headed over to visit with my friends M&L and also got in some quality time with my sweet little Nieces-By-Proxy. The little ones went to bed at a suitable hour for those under the age of 8. I probably could have managed to get home at a more reasonable hour had the adults not seen fit to engage in a rousing debate over the life choices of Harry Potter and those around him. Only one of us actually having finished the book at this point, it was a somewhat lopsided discussion, but passionate nonetheless. The hour grew late, the blog post even later. My bad...

How about I tease you with a little fiber shot to make up for the tardiness of the post? I finished washing the merino fleece last night around midnight. (lots of late nights for me, it seems) This morning, I found myself anxious to see how it was going to look in a more carded state. I grabbed a bit that was dry and gave it a few passes through the drum carder. While I admit to having a pair of tweezers close to hand for getting out some of the bigger bits, I really didn't concern myself all that much with the VM. Being as I am one who hates picky little details and am highly unlikely to tend to each and every twig or speck, I have learned to live with a little of the flora in my fiber.






A mere three passes through the drum carder netted me this. Not bad, if I do say so myself!
There will be a few more trips through the drums for this wool, but not much. A quick test spin with the drop spindle revealed that it spins very, very well and that much of the extra bits will fly out as it's whirling about. There is still a bit more grease in this than I'd planned, but not enough to cause difficulties. I sometimes have a reaction to lanolin, but there was not a hive in sight after working with this so I think I'm all set.
All in all, I'd say this is going to be a winner. I'll be carding frantically for the next week to see how much of this I can get in the "finished" pile. I'm hoping to stay focused. This could prove challenging, though. Tomorrow I start washing the Shetland.
Maybe I should consider getting myself to bed...
SA

11 comments:

Mel said...

Late? Whadda ya mean late?

David has also had nasty reactions to grease fleece, which is partly why he likes alpaca so much. He does not, however, react to lanolin-containing cosmetic products, which leads me to believe that it is not really the lanolin, but rather something else carried along in the grease (pollen? sheep sweat?), that is causing the trouble.

Anonymous said...

Lovely indeed.
Extra sprinkles is the very best but only if they are chocolate. If multicolored then no sprinkles thank you.
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

sheep#100 said...

Night-night, Sheepie. Sleep well.

Anonymous said...

That really looks nice! You know, sometimes I wonder about Harry's choices, too. :)

Cathy said...

I, too, wondered about Harry's choices but then again, I didn't write the book so I don't know what went on in JK Rowling's head.

I'm glad you are having fun with the motherless sheep. Every time I think of your phrase I think of the song with "motherless child" in it. Well, obviously not well enough to remember the lyrics.

Teri S. said...

Oooohhhh...love the merino! And on the ice cream side, sprinkles are good if you want to add a festive flair and a little crunch to your vanilla ice cream (which is my all-time favorite flavor).

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

ah! I almost fled at the mention of Harry Potter. I'm trying desperate to avoid any spoilers which makes blog reading perilous.

Congrats on a night out!

Lorraine said...

Fudge, hot fudge, more fudge. Sprinkles, schminkles - pile on the chocolate!

What lovely fiber! I'm so impressed.

Anonymous said...

I'm not so much into the sprinkles, but definitely pile on the nuts!

The merino looks so soft.

Donna Lee said...

I know next to nothing about how the lovely yarn gets into my lys and you are making me want to do some research and see what this is all about. That is a seriously beautiful fleece you have taken out of the drum carder(whatever that is). It looks soft and very pet-able. Drop spindles look intriguing and I watched a short video on their usage and have to keep telling myself I do not need another hobby, I do not need another hobby, I do not.....

Leigh said...

Looks great! But of course, Merino has always been a favorite.