Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Snow Day!!!!!

The view outside my window:





Not much...just white. Lots and lots of white.
And inside:

Not much...just napping. Lots and lots of napping.
Courtesy of the blizzard conditions, The Sheep did, in fact, get her snow day. There would have been a happy dance around the living room upon seeing the sought out school district flashing across the TV screen, but the killer kold symptoms (aka Squirrel Pox) kept everything pretty low key.
There were a few issues early on. The Squirrel Pox continues to wreak havoc with my sinuses and I am unable to open my eyes fully at this point. I am going into periodic sneezing fits which are not good for middle aged women who are currently consuming lots and lots of fluids. I also slept rather poorly last night as I have managed to blow my nostrils into total and complete inflammation and am now a mouth-breather/self-waking snorer.
To further complicate matters, The Big Fluffy Kitty and her Smaller, Less Fluffy Counterpart had great difficulty managing the low pressure system. Acting as my own personal Weather Pixies, they alerted me regularly throughout the night that a storm was a-comin'. There was much in the way of howling, pouncing and general irritability.
The whole situation escalated this morning during a disagreement over who would get to sit on the edge of the bathtub. This was not the normal posturing. There was actual rearing up and the swiping with claws extended. Blood was shed. Not much, but enough that I had to have a serious discussion with my roomies about the need to be respectful of each other's space. Persephone, the injured party, retreated to my room where she bled on my bedspread so it would match the carpet stains before seeing fit to clot. It was a small wound and a big lesson with regard to teasing her older sister. I have been a diligent Mommy today giving lots of comforting hugs and snuggles to The Big, Fluffy Kitty. She reciprocated by overseeing my nap today and making sure that I stayed in top snoozing form.
And, yes, there was knitting! I have finished the sleeve and hemmed all sweater pieces. I was originally somewhat confused as to why I needed to do this before assembling the garment, but there is something to be said for reading the entire pattern through. It all makes sense to me now and I am complacently following the directions as written. Someone should really tell all the knitters about that strategy...maybe write a book or something.
And now, it seems that the snowplows have arrived and are looking for a certain Sheep to move her truck so they can remove a bit of snow from her parking place. Thus, I will bid you a pleasant afternoon (or whatever time it is when you read this.) and take my Squirrel Pox on a little field trip to the great outdoors. I do hope it enjoys the scenery and all...
Even a snow day with the sickness makes for a pretty happy Sheep, it seems.
SA


17 comments:

Cursing Mama said...

I was beginning to worry that the snow had not fallen at an appropriate amount and that you were forced to go into the environment and commute in less than ideal road conditions. Well, that and the icky class tonight.

Can't wait for photo's of a sweater - as I have never attempted to make such a garment. Knitting for 5 years and I can't get past Scarf ;)

Anonymous said...

I was hoping for pictures of the snow. Thanks! It looks so beautiful~ especially to someone who only sees it once a year (if I'm lucky)!

mrichme said...

Right now I can say I miss Casa de Sheep and the ability just to move a car. After an hour and half of shoveling phase 1 is done and we're figuring out when to start phase 2.

sheep#100 said...

Yay for the snow day!
Now, I should probably go outside and move more ice...

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! SNOW DAY!!
Oh I am sorry to hear about the kitty disagreement. We have similar doggie disagreements here only they involve teeth. I hope all will be peaceful now that the storm is moving on by.
I'm looking forward to seeing your sweater.
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

Jeanne said...

Why can't I see the pictures? *whine*

Is it a Mac thing? I feel left out!

Glad you got your snow day. We got ours (#2)! But there is to be no knitting (yet). I must study. Ech.

Brenda said...

I can't see the pictures either, and I'm also on a Mac. Hmm...

Glad you had the snow day and that knitting occurred.

Be gone, evil Squirrel Pox!

Anonymous said...

That's a b*tch to be sick on a snow day. Why can't we have snow days in the summer?

Sheila said...

It must be a Mac thing because I can't see the pictures either (snif, snif).
We don't get any snow down here, ever. I'm so glad you were able to stay home, but sorry that you're still ill.

Anonymous said...

I took a snow day today, too. I figured if the schools get one, why not me :)

Stay warm and take care of that cold - you need your strength for the weekend!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you made so much progress on your sweater!

catsmum said...

no it's not a Mac thing. I can't see 'em either. Whinge, whine, grizzle.
Sophie and Oakley said to tell the fluffies to behave themselves. There is a certain pot-calling-the-kettle-black element to that, but hey, I just pass on what I'm directed to :]
says she, nearly expiring in 35C [ 95F] hotness

Anonymous said...

yeah! snow day! as much as I hate the snow and the cold, snow days are a big plus! Can't wait to see the finished sweater

Lorraine said...

Wish we'd get a snow day - not that homeschoolers get to take the day off but at least they'd get a recess with something to play IN! Nasty squirrel pox are hitting here, too. Kids are toppling like dominos. Help - please send snow! And tissues!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you had your snow day, and were able to make progress on your sweater. I hope you and the BFC feel better soon. Has someone invented kitty bandaids?

Mouse said...

Hooray for snow days!

debsnm said...

Snow days are very good, kitty tempers are not. 2 of my 3 are declawed - trust me, it was a good decision, or there would be mucho blood at my house. Nose spray! Get thee some nose spray, it will stop the open-mouth breathing.