Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Moving Forward

My car informed me that it was 91 degrees outside today.  I wanted to argue with it, to say that this was simply unreasonable.  But "reasonable" has little to do with the weather.  It was, in fact, 91 degrees and humid, to boot.  Besides, I'd spent the entire day in a third floor classroom with a bunch of sweating teens so I really didn't have much of an argument there.

Why this sudden burst of summer has inspired in me the urge to knit, I know not.  But I actually busted out a repeat on the shawl once I was done with the afternoon workout.

Speaking of which, Wii Fit and I are still not in agreement regarding my current fitness level.  The fact that Wii Fit is right has nothing to do with anything.  I think that Wii Fit is rude to point out certain things and that it could do with a lesson in manners.  Wii Fit thinks I should do more in the way of activities that improve balance.  Wii Fit has said outright that I am a lopsided old lady.

I might be exaggerating just a bit, but it's hot and I'm a little cranky.  I believe that Wii Fit should think before it passes judgement sometimes...

The school year is grinding towards its ending, but not nearly fast enough.  The 8th graders have all begun thumbing their noses at us since they know they are short timers now.  Their visit to the high school for orientation didn't help matters but I suppose we have to do it.  It would be tragic if they didn't know where the restrooms are located or how to navigate the lunchroom come September.

There are still some good moments to be had, though.  When I lost all patience with The Great Debater and informed him that the world didn't revolve around him, he was unimpressed.  I then stated that the world actually revolved around me.  That got his attention.  At least enough to make him look up from his computer game for all of ten seconds to make eye contact and say:

The world does not revolve around you.  The world revolves around cake.


He is not wrong.  Of course, this made me want cake and I don't have any.  I ate it all this weekend because I think leftover birthday cake was my right at that point.  Now that I think of it, this might have been Wii Fit's issue with me over the past two days...

The Absurdly Gi-normous Kitty has finally stopped crying.  He wandered around for three straight days meowing in a way that would like to break your heart.  At last, he managed to find some peace after discovering the nappin' basket his sister once slept in.  He is now back to lolling on my feet, something I think is a little unnecessary given the current temperature here at the manse, but he's quiet and contented so I'm going to let it go.

In short, the world has moved forward and taken me with it.  Every day is a little bit better and I am pleased to report that I am now past the stage where I feel the need to rail at an unjust universe that takes Very Good Cats away for no reason other than it thinks it's time.  Frankly, no one can keep up that level of ranting.  It is tiring.  I am starting to feel some peace and knowing that it is OK to enjoy that.

The AGK and I are both so grateful to everyone for their kind words and thoughts.  Those of you who have lost a pet know how much that means as we navigate the rocky road of grief.  We are both doing well, although I think we could use a little less humidity right now.  But a change in the weather means it's another new day and another step forward.

A little step, of course.  It's hard to take big steps forward when you have a twenty pound cat on your feet...

SA

13 comments:

Lynne said...

*hugs*

Beth said...

I'm glad that you and the AGK are starting to feel at least a little bit better. Sorry about the 91 degrees with humidity - I may have sent that up to you 'cause that's what we had on Sunday.

Gracey is not my name.... said...

How many days? We have 16 left. I have sweaty 3rd graders who see nothing wrong with running around at recess and then complain when we go back to a stifling second floor classroom that faces the sun all day..

sheep#100 said...

Towel Day. I am attributing the knitting to Towel Day.

Because I can.

Because today, I did, too.

Kath said...

Well if you've polished off all the cake then isn't it time for ice cream? (It's certainly hot enough!) Of course Wii Fit might have an issue with that also but you can tell Wii Fit I said to stick it, ice cream during hot weather is traditional.

Anonymous said...

We had that 90˚+ and got tired of it and sent it to you. No thanks are necessary, we did it because we are generous like that. Today it was only 88˚ and actually cooled and dried off a bit this evening so we will send that along as well.

Mia said...

I have a "great debater" ... he lives in Chile..

::big hug::

mia

catsmum said...

I'm moving towards the day when oakley has to make that last trip to the vet. I'm not handling it particularly gracefully hence the recent lack of sympathetic commentary ... but hugz to you and AGK from me and mine

Karen said...

I'm glad you and AGK are doing OK. It takes time. Sorry the weather isn't agreeable.

Elaine said...

I cry every time I even think of your very sad post... "I know you heard me....." Time will help...

Julia G said...

So now we know that the world does in fact revolve around cake (purple cake, probably). GTK!

I think you should remind WiiFit that it "needs to make better choices" or you will toss it to the zombie hordes come Zombiegeddon Day.

Hugs to you and the AGK -- we've got the 90 degree mini-heat wave here on the coast too. Just keep rewinding and watching the 4" ice-coated crab pots on last night's Deadliest Catch to cool off!

Georgi said...

I think it should be mandated that pets live as long as we do. I ended up at a therapists office when I had to put my wonderful Di to sleep. It is very sad and soooo hard to move forward.
I think you should go to a bakery and buy another cake.

twinsetellen said...

Thank goddess for that 20 pound cat.