Sunday, May 09, 2010

It's All In The Timing

I sort of know me by now.  And yet I'm still surprised by how I can pick the worst possible moments to be inspired.  

I haven't knit much lately.  I have no reason for this.  The Muse simply hasn't been hovering around me, at least not so I'd notice it.  A few weeks ago, I dug around amongst the old WIPs to see if anything might strike a chord.  Nothing did, not really.  However, the sight of the shawl I started last year caused a bit of a stir so I decided to fiddle around with that for a while.

A "bit of a stir" isn't really enough to make the needles fly, though.  I've been haphazardly picking it up and putting it down without making much of a dent since making the selection.  Today, however, I suddenly felt the urge to knit and knit and knit.

Timing is everything and I don't do it well.  Sheepie needed to head out today.  I am the child of a mother and, as such, was bound to honor she who birthed me.  




Specifically, I needed to eat seafood in celebration of all things Motherly.  


I happen to love my mother.  And seafood.  Of course, Mommy Sheep gets more of the love, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to shun some nice haddock in favor of a shawl.  I managed to get in a couple of repeats before having to put on some shoes and take up my gift bag so I could dine with the family.  It was soooo totally worth it.  It was great to see my parents now that they're back from the sunny south and the whole event was made better by having Baby Brother Sheep and SIL Sheep along for the meal.

By the time I got home, I was so full of fishy goodness that the very thought of picking up the needles seemed like too much.  The giddy urge was past.  That's OK.  It'll come back.  Of course this will probably happen just as I'm heading out to pick up my winning lottery check or after I sever my big toe and need to rush myself off to the emergency room, but that's just how these things go sometimes.

I hope that all mothers everywhere had a fantastic Mother's Day and that you were treated to the meal of your choice.  Maybe you even got in a little knitting time, too.  That would be nice.  Especially if you are feeling inspired to wield the needles.

I'm wondering if next year I might get the urge to knit in time to have a Mother's Day gift ready...

SA

6 comments:

Beth said...

I would choose a yummy meal over shawl knitting, too!

Julia G said...

Sounds like a great day! Your knitting muse will return, probably as soon as you have a deadline project to do (that's when it hits me). I got such a hoot watching the promos for the Deadliest Catch Mother's Day marathon -- big tough guys with their cute l'il homemade Mother's Day cards!

Lynne said...

It's more likely to happen on a Monday morning just as your heading out with your coffee! LOL

I had dinner out (at a steakhouse)with WM, DD, SIL and GS#1 on Saturday night (WM paid) and an afternoon tea cruise on the Nepean River yesterday - a lovely gift from DD, SIL AND GS#1!

sheep#100 said...

I think your mojo and mine have taken off on an extended vacation. We should alert the blogosphere: any sightings should be reported immediately. My mojo won't frequent fish joints but I know they both could be hovering around book stores, tea shops, and national historic sites.

Karen said...

If the choice is fresh seafood and knitting well, I've got to go with the seafood too. It's just too yummy.

Knitting Linguist said...

I would have chosen mom and a clam bake over knitting, too. In fact, I chose crab cakes benedict over knitting, myself :)