Monday, August 01, 2011

A Long Time

It's been a Long Time since I've finished a knitting project.  It's not that I'm not knitting...I am.  I've been stitching away whilst riding the little exercise bike in the mornings, but it isn't really getting me any closer to a pair of socks, it seems.

The bike rides seem to be taking a Long Time, though!

Now that August is here, I can't help but start thinking about how Long the school year is and how short the rest of my vacation looks by comparison.  It is time to start thinking about lessons and the floor plan for the classroom so I don't end up doing it all ten minutes before the kids get there.  Again...

I had a dentist appointment on Friday morning and that seemed to take a very, very Long Time.  In truth, it wasn't any longer than any other dentist appointment, but they always seem endless.  Of course, it is worse when they find a cavity and there is less time between saying, "good-bye" to the dentist and, "hello again." I suppose I should be grateful for the six month reprieve.

I left my dentist appointment to meet up with my sister-in-law and great niece.  Since my niece and her family moved out of state, it is a Long Time between visits with the kids and I was giddy to have the opportunity to spend some time with at least one of the young 'uns.  Furthermore, I always love visiting with my Bonus Sister.  However, my arrival at her house heralded the beginning of two very Long Days there.  Busy days fraught with phone calls and shopping and measuring and chopping and more dragging of tables than is really necessary in anyone's life.  Those two days were about three hundred hours in total and that is a very, very Long Time indeed.

I don't always do well with things that take A Very Long Time.  Frankly, I think we have all gotten a little impatient nowadays and A Very Long Time just isn't something that is really appealing anymore.

Some people are still pretty good at it though.  It's rare, but a truly amazing and wonderful thing to behold should you be lucky enough to catch a glimpse of skillful time wrangling.

I wasn't able to be there the first time two hands came together to grasp a silver handle and celebrate that first day of the that first year.  This, I suppose, is one of the drawbacks to not having been born yet.  There wasn't much to be done about it at the time.

However, I was privileged to be present on Saturday when those hands touched that same silver fifty years later.  A Long Time isn't so bad, really.  In fact, it is sometimes something to be celebrated.


Happy Anniversary, Mommy and Daddy Sheep!!!


SA

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary! A Very Long Time, indeed :-)

Lynne said...

Happy anniversary Mommy and Daddy Sheep - how wonderful.

Anonymous said...

You children put on a very nice party. It is one we will remember for a very long time. Maybe you can do this again after our next 50 years together.
We loved every minute of our time with all of our family and friends.
Hope all parents are as fortunate as we are. Thank you.
Get some rest now, please. You deserve it!!!! M.S.& D.S.

Anonymous said...

We so pleased to be able to attend this wonderful event. You kids throw a great party!

Auntie and Uncle Sheep

Donna Lee said...

Sometimes A Very Long Time is a Very Good Thing.

Happy Anniversary Mr & Mrs Sheep!

Elaine said...

Long Times can be very very sweet.....
Happy Anniversary M&D Sheep!

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful.

Julia G said...

Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Sheep!