Monday, February 01, 2010

Blog, Darn It!!!!!!

I was in the shower this morning when I heard somethng beeping. As the sound increased in volume, piercing the early morning silence, I realized that I forgot to shut off the alarm clock when I staggered out of bed. That little beep tore into my eardrums like a rabid bunny but there was nothing I could do from the shower.

Actually, I forgot to shut off the back up alarm clock, but that is neither here nor there. I don't want to talk about the level of paranoia I have about oversleeping...

After putting on my coat, gathering my commuter breakfast and making my way to the car, I suddenly thought that my arms were less full than usual. How was it that I had a free hand with which to take the trash to The Dumpster Where The Zombies Live? I finally realized that I'd forgotten my coffee. With a sigh, I made my way back inside and up to the stairs to retrieve my blessed beverage.

When I arrived at school, I realized that my quick escape on Friday afternoon hadn't included a check of the Monday Lesson Plans. I'd forgotten to copy much of the needed material and my prep period wasn't until the last block of the day. I had to "wing it." This generally works out but not as well as I'd like.

When the Cheerful Teaching Assistant arrived, I realized that I'd forgotten to bring the peanut butter cups I made for her over the weekend. I can bring them tomorrow, but the it won't be the same. I was going for "meaningful gesture." Not "I know you had a tough go of it last week so I thought it might be nice if I forgot to bring you some chocolate treats on Monday."

I generally don't bring much for lunch, just a couple of apples to tide me over. My daytime appetite is minimal. However, I have come to enjoy my midday snack if only for the pleasure that comes from having a routine. You can imagine how distraught I was to see no apples in my school bag. All my apples were still sitting at home in the refrigerator.

Don't even ask about Daddy Sheep's birthday card. That is so overdue that I can't even begin to come up with an excuse...

By the time I got home, I was thinking how easy it would be to forget a bunch of other stuff. The workout? What workout? I don't remember anything about the need to pedal a little exercise bike or lift heavy objects for an hour.

And the mitten? I know not about the mitten-thing of which you speak. I don't recall ever having started a pair of mittens, much less needing to knit them now.

As far as your belief that I should eat a healthy dinner that includes at least one vegetable, I can't help but think you need to lie down. I have no memory of saying that I would do that sort of thing come the new year. Clearly, you are hallucinating. Have you considered medication?

Yes, I thought about all of those things and the ease with which I could just delete them from my mind. Apparently, the deletion of important information is something I am rather good at. In the end, though, I decided that it would be wrong. I dutifully donned the stinky sweats and pedaled my way to nowhere. I lifted the little weights and did a few sit ups for good measure.




I also worked on the imaginary mitten. I was committed to the remembering of stuff.


I won't say that I felt better for having followed through. I actually rather resented it a little bit. It didn't seem fair to suffer through all that forgetting at work but still have to remember the stuff I don't want to do at home. But it was the right thing to do. I even remembered to run the dishwasher like I said I would last night after I realized I forgot to do it during the weekend.

Don't ask about the healthy dinner, though. I can't be expected to remember everything...

SA

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the typical Monday From Hell...

GiM said...

Don't worry about Daddy Sheep's birthday card. He at an age where he probably forgot he had a birthday.

sheep#100 said...

Can I vent, too? After a holiday season of too many cookies, I had bloodwork done last week. Big mistake.

Neatnik was out sick Friday but much better over the weekend. School nurse called today while I was teaching. Number Guy had to retrieve her.

Bonked my head on the shower tile tonight. Fear I concussed myself.

Sheepie, you and I seriously need to hit the hay and forget that Mondays appear on the calendars...

Mel said...

This week Monday is my Friday, and Monday doesn't come again until Sunday. Which is, IMO, a Very Good Thing.

Kath said...

I am a fogged up blithering idiot in the morning. I only mange to arrive on time and fully dressed because I devote a great deal of time and attention to preparing the night before. Yes, two alarm clocks and the second one must be out of reach of the bed. Yes, packing a lunch and some sort of easy to grab breakfast item. Yes, laying out my clothes, including the appropriate undergarments. The consequences of not doing so are just horrific. Believe me.

Anonymous said...

Forgetting things are not just for Monday's in my life; I've reached that age where I'm always forgetting things. Never the coffee though!

Karen said...

Sorry your Monday was, well, a Monday. I really wish there was a way to give them that Friday feel.

Donna Lee said...

I picked a Monday to go to the gym for the first time. To say it was tough would be an understatement.