Saturday, November 22, 2008

Knitting?

If you are looking for actual knitting content of the visible or tangible variety, I'd suggest you move on.  Go visit one of the responsible stitchers who understands that these sorts of things tend to go a little more quickly when the yarn is actually maneuvered about on the needles every once in a while.

That would not be me today.

That's not to say that I didn't think about knitting.  I did.  I thought about how the dishcloth (with sleeves) is already tinked back quite a ways and how I should probably just keep going since there are some boo-boos that I'd like to see go away.  I thought about not working out next week since I usually don't bother during non-working weeks.  Then I thought that two days of teacher workshops before being set free to skip amongst the daisies isn't exactly "non-working."  I thought that maybe I might be more inspired to hit the little exercise bike on Monday if I had something to do and tinking is something I can do whilst pedaling.  

Then I thought about mittens.  I'm rather jazzed about the idea of knitting mittens these days and they'd be a kind of neat thing to be working on during the long, boring and very much mandatory workshops I'll be stranded in soon.  I thought about how I could even do that "thumb trick" from EZ's book and that this would do away with the whole thumb gusset nonsense that I have no intention of doing during the aforementioned workshops.  

There are rules.  Some things just are not done in public.  I don't pick my nose, nor do I pick up heel stitches in polite company.  I suspect that gusseting for thumbs is probably along the same lines what with all the counting and whatnot.  I can leave a hole for a thumb to be named later, though.  That seems like the sort of thing one might do without too much foul language during keynote speeches...

I even thought about how I should probably go get the lopi yarn and wind it up so I'll be Mitten Ready come Monday morning, but I didn't actually get that far.  I was all distracted by the fact that I have somehow managed to use up an entire black ink cartridge since getting my new printer up and running.  And not that puny little cartridge that comes with the printer, either.  A real one.  How much printing am I doing around here these days, for heaven's sake?  

That little slice of reality, combined with a little early morning Christmas shopping once the stores opened was enough to send me off to the couch for a nap.  All that thinking, realizing and crowd dodging was simply too much for my fragile system to handle all in one day.  I'm sure you can see how this might happen.  

The kitties were already napping so they were one step ahead of me in the process.  In fairness, however, they have had much more practice with sitting and thinking so they know when to stop and just go to sleep before becoming completely overwhelmed.




Here, the Big, Fluffy Kitty demonstrates the fine art of Back Of The Couch Napping.  Notice how she is perfectly balanced so as to not fall off and into the laps of people who are thinking too much.



The Absurdly Gi-normous Kitty has to nap more these days.  In addition to his regular Gi-normousness, he seems to have grown a layer of winter fluff.  He can barely hold himself up long enough to make it to the food bowl, poor baby.  He's pretty warm, though...


If you haven't been convinced of my hard work today and need for rest, perhaps you were distracted by the napping felines in all their cuteness.  Still, there are probably one or two out there who think I am nothing short of a weakly wimp.  I understand. 

Would it lend any credence to my excuses if I told you that I discovered that I had no double points in the right size for my upcoming Mitten Adventure?  And that I decided to go all Magic Loop on these suckers?  In public.  With no real experience knitting in a loop, magical or otherwise?  I had to watch an online video and everything.

I think I need another nap.

SA

10 comments:

Kath said...

If I lived where you do I'd definitely be into knitting mittens! And there are just so many darn cute patterns for them too!

Learning new knitting techniques is terribly exhausting. A recovery nap is definitely recommended. A nap with kitties could be particularly therapeutic!

m1k1 said...

It sounds to me like you are in the perfect position to put forward a proposal for an event within my KnOTSOlympics (knitting on the spot). There are no cycling events at the moment.
jen at alittlebitcrafty.blogspot.com

Jeanne said...

Forget the mittens. Just plunge your hands into the AGK fur and carry him around every day. ;-)

Anonymous said...

All this reading about thinking is making me tired. I think I'll go to bed.

catsmum said...

well I don't know about you but I certainly need a recovery nap after being exposed to the sugar rush from so much kitty sweetness.

sheep#100 said...

Definitely take advantage of the napping opportunities!

Cathy said...

"too much foul language during keynote speeches..."

Learning the magic loop would lead to this.

Go take a nap. On the back of the couch if necessary.

Donna Lee said...

I have been feeling the urge to knit some mittens and have even considered thrummed mittens and have downloaded a pattern and everything. Must be the cold.

Mia said...

a thumb trick for the mittens ya say? Hmmm

Luna said...

I think the cats are printing stuff when you're not home. That perfectly explains why you're out of toner so quickly and why the cats are so tired. They're running a home business when you're at school. And they're using up all your printing supplies.