Thursday, November 22, 2007

Turkey Bullets

Betcha thought I forgot!  No...not really.  I know I owe you a Bullet Post.  But yesterday I had that whole sore finger thing going on and this was enough of an issue to rework my blogging priorities.  I also knew that I would be in a stuffing induced haze today and that this would lend itself nicely to a Thanksgiving Day Bullet Post.  

I'm nothing if not a planner...  

Here are your holiday bullets:

*My sore neck continues to be an issue.  But, I've discovered that if I keep my right shoulder pressed up against my ear whenever I need to turn my head, I can significantly reduce the discomfort.  And it doesn't look weird at all.  Honest.

*My sore thumb is healing nicely and I think that I will be able to carry on in the fine tradition of crappy knitting without a hitch.  Crappy Knitters of the world rejoice!  I remain amongst your numbers!  Don't take me off the membership list...I still haven't gotten my ID card yet.

*The Sheep Family Thanksgiving was carried out in its usual, understated fashion.  This is how we like it.  Minimal drama and maximum leftovers.  This, in my world, defines the holiday!

*Sadly, Baby Brother Sheep was still on the road.  We'd hoped he would be joining us, but these things happen sometimes in the world of the Long Distance Trucker.  

*Happily, Future SIL was able to join us.  (along with her chocolate pie with chocolate chunks and extra chocolate...OMG, I love this pie!!!)  And, thanks to the good people at SKYPE, we were able to include my younger sibling in some of the festivities.  

*This was a good day to bring my new laptop along for the family visit.  It has a good, working camera and allowed us to share the day with the Prodigal Son in rich, living color.  

*He missed the part where my doggy nephew decided to perch himself upon my head once he heard his Daddy's voice, though.  That would have been a nice little Thanksgiving moment for the new millennium-style celebrations.  

*I am the designated bread baker for all holiday functions at this point.  I made (but didn't photograph)  some rolls,  


...and some cheesy bread, (a teeny bit undercooked)


...and challa!  


*The last one was dead-on perfect.  I was a-thinkin' and a-thinkin' about a different sort of bread I could bring along.  Then, yesterday, I happened to catch up with Wendy Knits and saw that she had made some.  Inspiration struck!

*We do not like to let pesky little details like never having made it before in our entire lives get in the way.  We forge ahead and assume this is within our skill set.  We live on the edge here...

*We also sometimes switch over to "the royal we" for reasons unknown...

*Heaven help me if my family ever figures out that baking bread is pretty easy.  You just have to mix the ingredients and be willing to go watch TV for a while.  If anyone should realize this, I will have lost my place in the family hierarchy for all time.  Let's just keep this information between us, 'kay?

*I am so overly stuffed that I am having difficulty moving at this point.  The Sheep Family Table fairly groaned under the weight of all the delicious edibles!

*You'd think that with the sore neck and the distended belly, I'd be spending less time haunting the kitchen.  But there is stuffing in there and I happen to consider this the perfect food.  It calls to me.  

*"Sheeeeeeeeeepie!  Oh, Sheeeeeeeeepie!!!  Why don't you come on into the kitchen?  It's so cold and lonely here in the fridge.  You could pop me into the microwave and make me all warm and toasty...you know you want to!"  

*Stuffing and I have a somewhat dysfunctional relationship.  It wants to live on my hips.  I want to eat it without caloric penalties.  We are looking into counseling.

*I love stuffing.  I love it so much that it actually hurts a little bit.  I don't think that this is healthy.  And I don't really care.

*You can make a sandwich with stuffing.  This is nothing short of ridiculous, when you stop and think about it.  You have made yourself a bread sandwich.  This will not stop you from eating it, though.

*I did not eat any of the squash or turnip.  I am in my 40's and no one can make me eat vegetables if I don't want to.  I had to pass by it to get to the stuffing, though.  It was sort of like a vegetable gauntlet.
  
*I ate some peas.  This should satisfy the healthier folks out there who are getting ready to scroll down to "comments" to chastise me for my eating habits. 
 
*I don't have to go to work tomorrow.  This is a good thing since I will probably have to have my arteries pumped out or something.  I'm assuming that there is some residual stuffing in there.  

*There is so much to be thankful for today.  Time with family, the technology that lets me connect with those who couldn't be with us on this holiday, my health, my home...

*And stuffing.  I am so very, very thankful for stuffing.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!  Whether you are celebrating this holiday today or if you are living elsewhere and this is just a plain, old Thursday, please know that I am thankful for you all and the wonderful bloggy fun we get to share every day.  


Thanksgiving Myspace Graphics
Thanksgiving Myspace Graphics




SA

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy, happy Thanksgiving, SA! I thought of you at dinner today because we had three kinds of stuffing. I made some regular and the person who was also bringing it brought two different kinds (cornbread and apple/sausage). Yum!

Anonymous said...

I'm also very thankful for the stuffing (and the stuffing sandwiches)! You know, stuffing is good right out of the fridge; no need to warm it up.

Mel said...

David & I had our little dinner for two last night - basically stuffing with candied yams. I do love me some sweet taters. David ate leftover stuffing for breakfast today, but I waited until I came to work to have more from our little spread here. I'm feeling a bit like Violet Beauregard at the moment and in need of a nap.

Anne said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Love the dancing turkey graphic.

Future SIL said...

While reading your posts, it has come to my attention that the calla bread would be prefect with stuffing in it,(along with some turkery and cranberry sauce)that was some tasty bread....I would never think about taking over the "roll" as bread maker. You are a fine bread baker. I will continue to make pies.

Future SIL said...

Too much turkey, not enough spell check....challa bread.

Donna Lee said...

We are a stuffing family. I didn't even make the green beans this year. No one wants them anyway and who am I fooling? I don't want them either. I think my husband had one bite of turkey and two plates full of stuffing and fruit relish. Some healthy eating going on here!

Marianne said...

Oh, I kinda liked that 'turkery', SIL... and hahaha... I did in fact just eat a stuffing sandwich!!! gigglesnorting....

Jeanne said...

I have a relative whose favorite leftovers creation is the following: take stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, turkey chunks, and maybe corn. Stir together. Heat in microwave. Plaster between two pieces of bread--with Mayo.

My holiday fave is my hominy dish and sweet potatoes. And I LIKE the green beans!!! Happy T-Day!

Anonymous said...

Stuffing is good, but in my world its true purpose is as a gravy delivery system. Gravy, in my world, is nature's most perfect food. One of my greatest accomplishments in life -- besides raising decent children -- was learning how to make excellent gravy.

I'm off to the kitchen now to polish off the leftover squash, made with that recipe I posted last week. Mine was darned near as good as the original.

Savor your leftovers!

lobstah said...

Stuffing is definitely the best thing evah. I did eat my veggies too, though ;)

Anonymous said...

Stuffing is a perfect food and if you have onions in it it counts as a vegetable or that's what I think anyway. I did eat my squash and turnip so I could have ice cream with my apple pie. It's all a balancing act.
Have you tried a heating pad on your neck? It might loosen things up a bit.
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

sheep#100 said...

Neatnik says, "Good job!" on the peas. She had some yesterday, too!

Anonymous said...

Most thankful for the stuffing! But my waistline says: whoa sista, you've had enough.

Lazuli said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too! We made some vegetarian stuffing in our slow cooker yesterday, and it turned out great! The real winner, though was the pumpkin bread pudding... oh yum. :-)

mehitabel said...

Your breads are beautiful! And we, too, had three kinds of stuffing--I think we could have a good holiday without the bird, just with the stuffing! I did eat the veggies, as well as lots of mashed 'taters w/ sour cream in them, and turkey and gravy and... Food Coma!

Denise said...

Your bread looks gorgeous (and delicious)!

I'm glad to hear your thumb is doing better.
:-)

knitseashore said...

A belated Happy Thanksgiving to you! I feel about mashed potatoes the way you feel about stuffing, so your post made me laugh. That homemade bread looks incredibly delicious too...

Hope your thumb and your neck are much better soon! Hard to knit, even badly, with those sorts of injuries.

Knitting Linguist said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I am definitely with you on the stuffing. In fact, Older Daughter and I sat staring at the yummy (cornbread sausage mushroom and leek) stuffing saying to each other "why don't we make this for dinner *without* the turkey?!" An new thought for a new year...

Unknown said...

I haven't made challah in forever, maybe I'll do it next weekend. Happy belated Thanksgiving!