Monday, November 26, 2007

Responsible Sheepie

I could have taken the easy route today.  No one would have known.  I could have just kept my head down and pretended that all was normal.  I doubt that anyone is so interested in my life that they would have given it much thought.  

I could have pulled it off.  

But, I took the high road.  I forced myself to face the hard facts and accept the punishment that is my due.  For when a Sheep spends five days consuming naught but stuffing and pie, she has earned an uncomfortable Monday.  So it is written.  So it be done.

Rather than take the advice of the blogosphere-at-large and wear something with a nice, forgiving drawstring, I did that most horrific of things and put on grown-up, professional pants today.  There was an actual waistband and not one, but two buttons involved.  I did not choose the ones with the little touch of Lycra-Spandex that might offer me a modicum of comfort as the day wore on.  Instead, I went with the heavy, cotton Dockers.  They gave nothing.  They clung to every stuffing-stuffed lump and sank into my waist with a biting tenacity.  It was not pretty.  But it was necessary.  I needed that little nip at the midsection and chafing at the thighs to remind me of the benefits of low-calorie fruit.  Which is what I had to eat today.  An apple.  A pear.  For dessert...a nice cup of chilled water fresh from the drinking fountain in the hall.  That is all.  I could have strayed from the path.  But, the trousers would not allow it.  Even the mere thought of bread or sugar caused them to seize up angrily and force me to stay on the straight and narrow.  

So relieved was I to discard them at day's end for my comfy sweat pants that I almost didn't mind the hour long workout that lay ahead.  Almost.  It's been two weeks since I really hit the weights this hard and the joy of the elastic waistband wore off pretty darned quickly, lemme tellya.  

But I did it.  For I fear The Pants.  They speak the truth.  And they punish those who don't live by the numbers on the size tag.

About the only thing I had on today that wasn't punishing me for my Thanksgiving overindulgence were my hand-knitted socks.  They were soft and kind to me on this most trying of days. It wasn't enough to make up for the Trouser Trials, though.  Not by a long shot.

It's too bad, really.  As much as I enjoyed the week of indulgence, this would have been a nice kind of day to live it up a bit.  Maybe have a cupcake or something.  Dance around drinking real Mountain Dew instead of my regular Diet version...that kind of thing.  For you see, twas two years ago this day that a blog was born!  It's my very own Blogversary!!  It's been two whole years of cat stories, horrific visits with my dentist, exploding trucks and The Imminent Zombie Invasion.  Yup...it would have been a great day for a bon-bon or two rather than the diet ice cream bar with which I shall be treating myself later.

But, know this:  In my mind, I'll be gettin' all stupid with the real celebratin'!



Myspace Layouts
Myspace Layouts





SA

28 comments:

Teri S. said...

Happy Blogiversary, Sheep! I've enjoyed hanging around your pasture and hope that there will be many years ahead. I'll lift a virtual glass to you in celebration.

Lazuli said...

Happy Blogiversary! And good luck with those pants; I feel your pain (having changed out of a particularly unflattering pair during the conference last week. Yup.)

Mel said...

Happy Blogiversary! I still say an underpants skirt would be quite the fashion statement, though.

Marianne said...

Happy Blogiversary, Sheepie, and can I just say how totally impressed I am that you could get your pants on and buttoned and zipped and and and..... I am.
I had my jeans on today but yargh, so not feel good.....

Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne said...

Happy Blogiversary, and many more to come I hope! I wish I could paste in little cupcake icons like the ones Casey magics up on Ravelry, 'cause I'd have them dancing all around the comment....

Rabbitch said...

Happy Blogiversary!

And really? "Diet" ice cream bars are the work of the debbil. Just thought you might want to know.

Kath said...

Happy Blogiversary!

Yes, this is why hand-knitted socks are the bestest thing on the planet - they love us unconditionally.
Unlike those evil pants. (I mean, they will tell you they have your best interests at heart - but you gotta wonder sometimes. Talk about tough love.)

knitseashore said...

Happy Blogiversary! I think your jeans have some cousins living in my closet, and I don't even like stuffing. It's the mashed potatoes that kill me, every time. Celebrate as best you can with the low calorie indulgences (like YARN!).

Anonymous said...

Happy blog birthday to you! I've really enjoyed reading your blog and getting to know you. Here's to many more blog years to come!

Leigh said...

Congratulations on your second blogiversary! I always enjoy reading your blog. I had to laugh about the pants. I do the same thing sometimes to remind myself that I've been eating too much!

Cathy said...

Happy 2nd Blogiversary! What joy you have brought to my life.

I'll light a candle in your honor. I bet you know which one and what it will illuminate.

Jeanne said...

Happy Blogiversary, and many more! I'd lift a glass and toast you, but my arms are too sore from all the forklifting last week. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Happy Blogiversary!

I did not take the high road and wore my loose jeans. I'm kind of afraid to put on my regular pants today; I'll be hurting by the end of the day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Blogiversary!! I hope the work pants are a lot more comfortable today.
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

Happy Blogiversary!

LOL, I hear you on the pants, mine inspired me to new workouts, which is probably not a bad thing :)

Mia said...

OMG Sheepie. I LOVE that mouse in the cocktail glass! I need that to be my new avatar!

HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY!

Eat a couple of bon-bons for God's sake. When it's all said and done there will be plenty of time to be just skin and bones....

Just sayin. Enjoy yourself!

sheep#100 said...

Happy Blogiversary, Sheepie!!!!

Sorry about the pants.

Cursing Mama said...

Happy Blogiversary!

You should've had the cupcake & pulled out the heavy duty shapewear to celebrate ;)

kim said...

Happy Blogiverary! I will go enjoy one small, really nice, decadent piece of chocolate in your honor.

Donna Lee said...

I took the medium road and wore pants that are usually a little big. And they were still a little big! Yay. I guess I didn't eat as much as I thought. Hmmm, that means that I can have some of the leftover pie that I hid in the back of the refrigerator.

Knitting Linguist said...

Happy Blogiversary! Congratulations on hitting the two year mark :) I'm celebrating with you today by also wearing tight pants and consolatory hand-knit socks. Except I'm not home yet, alas...

Anne P said...

I think they may have had "The Oracle" Dockers pants in ancient Greece. Pretty sure.

Happy blogiversary! We are glad to have had you around for 2 years of zaniness. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy blogiversary. I'm glad you took the high road. But, I took the low road.... elastic waist pants. Motivate me, pleeease!

Anonymous said...

Happy Blogiversary Dear Sheep...And what fun its been reading your posts/emails and getting to know you via cyberspace.

Love 'the pants' story...who says clothes don't rule LOL....good thing socks are a lot friendlier/kinder clothing item, they never let us down, do they (well maybe aaauuughhh...old acrylic ones did, remember those LOL)

Huggs, Headbonks and here's to many more years of Sheepish Annie's best.

Anonymous said...

Wow, cool! Happy Blogiversary!! And I certainly hope you've gotten as much satisfaction out of blogging as I (we!) have from reading you.

Denise said...

Oh no! I missed your blogiversary!

Happy Belated Blogiversary!
I always enjoy my visits here. Thanks for writing.
:-)

Ronni said...

I'm afraid I'm only just catching up. Happy Belated Blogiversary!!!!