Wednesday, October 06, 2010

WNBP: Because It's Not Thursday.

(The Boy Who Is) Dark And Disturbed spent most of today trying to convince me that it was Thursday.  No matter what I said or how many pieces of evidence I produced, he just couldn't seem to accept the actual date.  It got to the point where I felt like I was doing deep and permanent psychological damage to the poor lad.  He may be Dark And Disturbed, but he is also one of the funniest and basically kindest people I know so it seemed wrong to tamper with his overall nature.  I let it go.

But that doesn't mean I don't know it is Wednesday.  I'm going to do a Wednesday Night Bullet Post and D&D can just sit at home thinking he's closing in on the weekend.  It's up to his Mommy and Daddy now. Maybe if they let him spend more time online like good ol' Ms. Sheep instead of pursuing his artwork then he'd have a better grasp of time!

*It rained today.


*Let me rephrase that: The skies opened up and all the water ever created in this universe was whipped by the mighty winds for the sole purpose of making my life miserable.


*Other people are just saying that it rained, but I like to put a more personal spin on the whole situation.


*I'm still hacking and coughing all over the place.


*Everyone is so very pleased when I walk into a room.  They just light up at the sight of me.  


*That is not true.  Most of them flee.  The rest cower from a distance and try to give me supportive and encouraging looks from behind their bio hazard masks.


*We are also doing a massive round of state achievement testing this week so you can only imagine how much fun this whole day was...


*Spunky Girl has talked The Cheerful Teaching Assistant into teaching her how to quilt.  


*For what it's worth, Spunky Girl can now sew a straighter seam than I can.  She learned it in thirty seconds.  


*I don't want to talk about it...


*This looks awfully cute:



*He should be tired.  He and his brother managed to do a fair bit of "redecorating" while I was teaching the masses today.


*Low pressure systems...why must they create such havoc with the pets and the children?????


*The kids have a half day on Friday, the teachers have workshops and then it is a long weekend.


*I will be home coughing and knitting and ignoring the rest of the world for a few days.  


*Mr. Fix-It  (the 6th grader who has a knack for both breaking and repairing things) returned from lunch today looking rather exhausted.  He flopped into the one "comfy" chair in the room and heaved a mighty sigh.


*Then he said, "It's not easy being me today and I need a minute here."


*I felt badly about laughing (and coughing) but I hardly think it's my fault.


*Sometimes the little metal, spikey things you use to hold punched pages together are called "brads."


*Which is why it was funny when The Boy Who Thinks All The World's A Stage announced that he was going down to the office to get some "Angelinas."


*You either get it or you don't.  I died.  Literally died with the laughing. (and coughing...)


*I am re-reading some old favorites lately.


*The Hellfire Club by Peter Straub.  Forgot how deep and dark and utterly delightful that one was...


*American Gods: A Novel  by Neil Gaiman.  Beautiful...one of the few perfect books out there.


*I may visit my Favorite School Librarian before the weekend, though.  She ordered some new titles over the summer just because she thought I might like them.


*Yeah, yeah...she probably ordered some books for the actual children as well.  Don't panic.  They are all taken care of.  


*I like having the school library right next to my classroom.  It's so very handy.  And free.  And teachers can keep books for a very, very, very long time.


*But I don't because that isn't fair to the children for whom the library exists.


*Except for the books that are ordered just for me.  They are special.  


*But don't tell the children.  


*They can't be trusted.  Some of them actually think it is Thursday...


Well, that's it for me.  I need to go see about some of nighttime cough medicine.  I like that stuff.  I still cough, but I chuckle while I'm doing it.  I hope that your Wednesday was pleasant and that, wherever you are, the weather is dry.  Or, at the very least, everyone is on the same page date-wise.

SA

13 comments:

Kath said...

I've been thinking about giving Gaiman a try but right now I'm working my way through the Dreseden series AND the 20+ Sanct Germain books. So as I bounce between wizards and vampires, it may take me awhile!

Jeanne said...

LOL, Angelinas!!! I think I inhaled a gnat just now.

Jeanne said...

Yarks, wrong account. This is KnittyBanter Jeanne (above and now)

Gracey is not my name.... said...

I've been waiting for the WNBP, but have been trying to upload pics for 2 hours. My students aren't quite as witty - Angelinas -too funny!! But one did tell me the other day that the reason you write "9c" in algebra instead of
"9 x c" is because they are lazy. I did laugh. My darlings are 10. The weekend weather is suppose to be nice, hope you feel better.

sheep#100 said...

Thanks for mentioning the library: I had a bok to renew.

Hope Thursday is drier and less snuffly!

Mel said...

I was expecting drizzle. I'm pretty sure that's all I'd heard on the weather reports - "drizzle". Imagine my shock that we got a freakin' nor'easter!

My verification "word" is vizemic. I'm not entirely certain what "viz" is, but I think I'd rather not have it in my blood.

Karen said...

All that laughing is keeping you young. Angelinas! Priceless.

Cursing Mama said...

There is something to be said for these kids who are a little "off the grid" mine is KILLER funny as well. Between that and the CHARM he does a pretty decent job of getting himself out of most "scrapes".

April said...

I *think* I started American Gods but I don't think I finished it. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Knitting Linguist said...

Angelinas, snortgiggle. That goes with something another teacher posted today, about her students, using vocabulary obtained by listening to her, taunting one another for vertically challenged nether bits. God I love kids.

Thanks for the book recommendations, btw - I'm needing some.

Anonymous said...

I swore off Peter Straub a long time ago b/c one of his books disappointed me; don't remember which one now. But I'll give him another try!

I raised a kid who was good at both breaking and fixing things. Happily, the fixing improved and the breaking lessened as he grew up.

Angelinas -- excellent!

Julia G said...

I could use a spell in Mr. Fix-it's comfy chair myself.

"Mr. Fix-it" reminded me of Mr. Fixit Fox in Richard Scarry's wryly funny children's books, who always created a catastrophe during the course of his repairs. My favorite was the Storybook DIctionary entry for "AGO, adverb" depicting Mr. Fixit clutching his hind paw: "Mr. Fixit dropped his monkey wrench a minute AGO. He is howling now."

Beth said...

"Angelinas" - that's really, really funny.