Sunday, May 24, 2009

Stupid

I was going to clarify the post title by saying that I am not stupid. But then I rethought that and realized that I might be a little bit stupid. The fact that I did The Big Grocery Shopping today without first checking the freezer is probably not indicative of a high IQ. I have been very careful about shopping of late and doing a fine job with not over-purchasing. I have also apparently been doing a good job of buying meat on sale and freezing it. My freezer is filled to capacity and my ability to access the part of my brain that deals with spatial relationships and freezer dimensions is compromised.

Don't open my freezer. The avalanche will probably kill you. Setting up an in-home avalanche is probably kind of stupid if you keep to the strictest definition of the word....

But that wasn't what I was thinking when I conceived of this post. I was thinking more of sleeves. Or, more accurately, things that are not sleeves because I don't admit to the knitting of such things. Sleeves fool me every time. Which probably makes them not so stupid and brings us back to me being the flawed creature, but I'm mad at the not-sleeve and calling it stupid is perfectly reasonable to my way of thinking.

How is it possible that one can knit for a day and still make no visible progress? I realize that knitters far more worldly wise than I have been contemplating this dilemma for an age and a half, but it still feels like I am the only one in the world who can't seem to reach the end of a not-sleeve. Worse, it is a not-sleeve in straight-up stockinette which is the most boring thing ever put on this earth.

I knit today. That is good. I suppose you don't reach the end of a not-sleeve without actually knitting. I've been kind of lax in this area of late. However, I am stuck in an endless loop of stockinette and it is making me a little bit grumpy.

Let's look at a kitty. Kitties are soothing, right?




#1 Nap Assistant. Not so much use as a Knitting Assistant, but the nap was pretty much the only thing standing between me and a raging Knit Fit so her role in the process was rather important.


I'm going to keep plugging away at this not-sleeve. I shall resolutely ignore the fact that it is never-ending and that I have to do another one when this one finally does consent to reaching the finish line. I have lots of leftover desserts from yesterday's cookout so I should be able to keep the Screaming Crazies at bay until I go back to work on Tuesday.

Of course, by then the not-sleeve probably won't fit me any more because my coping strategy is a little bit self-destructive and stupid. We won't dwell on that matter either...

SA

8 comments:

dangerousLee said...

Is it remotely possible that you had a sugar hangover this morning that left you with poor thinking skills?

Mia said...

so which of those freezer foods is for dinner tonight :)

mia

Karen said...

I've got a bit of an avalanche problem in my freezer too but I'm afraid it's not meat. In my house you'll get buried in waffles and ice cream. Good stuff, but not the makings for a healthy dinner.

Knitting Linguist said...

Ah, yes. The dreaded Stockinette Slog. The only thing worse is getting to the end and finding that you knitted it too long after all, and then having to rip back...

Kath said...

Ohhhh...welcome to the Black Hole of Knitting! I have a tank top that is currently in that place. Knitting round and round and round and round and round and...you get the idea.

Sadly - my freezer is a bit too full of ice cream these days. I'm guessing it would be better if I tried filling it with healthy foods, eh?

My verification word is "uncow" - so that's another supporting vote for less ice cream I suppose?

knitseashore said...

Whew! I was nervous you were going to say you had to rip said Not Sleeve. So if it is taking too long, it is still better than having to start from the beginning.

I'm almost to the sleeves on my sweater too...so not looking forward to that. Please pass the leftover cake!

sheep#100 said...

:: carefully, and slowly backing away ::

catsmum said...

I think I'd [almost] welcome some stockinette not-sleeve action right now - I'm slowly creeping up to the top end of that shawl in laceweight yarn that you commented on the other day. 300+ stitches on the needles and it takes me 3 hours to knit one 8 row repeat of the pattern.I've still got 5 repeats to go ... and then there's the border ... but at least I'LL only have 2 ends to weave in when it's done [ cue evil laugh ]