Wednesday, July 20, 2011

WNBP: A Brief Respite

I am currently enjoying what looks to be the last of the cooler temperatures for a while.  Today was moderately warm with bearable humidity, but the next few days are not going to be so kind.  We are talking high 90s and air so thick you can drink it with a straw.

Not my most favoritest thing...

Since I plan to be lolling in front of the fan for the foreseeable future and probably insensible with the heat stroke, why don't I get the Wednesday Night Bullet Post up for all to enjoy?  I'm guessing anything I post after this will involve a great deal of whining and complaints about my hair melting.  No one is going to benefit from that, really.

*After weeks of being decidedly unimpressed with the Farmer's Market fare, I was finally rewarded for my patience.


*I have actually not been patient.  Not at all.


*My weekly Visit With The Vegetables has been fraught with tension and very bad words directed at the local produce.


*I had a good feeling today, though.  


*Even stopped for extra cash before heading over.


*The string beans were there!


*And the wax beans!


*And carrots!


*And more basil to replace that which I already ate or froze!


*Why, I was so pleased with the bounty I made a point of visiting every single vendor.


*Except the Overly Happy Jewelry Ladies.  I like jewelry.  


*Just can't eat it.


*Heck, I even went to visit with Crazy Organic Guy and bought some itty-bitty garlic just because I was feeling good about locally grown produce in general.


*I have nothing against Organic People.  I like organic stuff as much as the next gal.


*Crazy Organic Guy is a little over-the-top when it comes to his new career path, though.  


*He's happier than the jewelry ladies and I simply cannot bear that level of job satisfaction.


*At least the Garter Stitch Scarf People weren't there today.


*I happen to love a good garter stitch scarf and have no issues whatsoever with the sale of garter stitch scarves to the public.  Not everyone knows how to knit and they should have the same rights to garter stitch scarves as those of us who comfortably wield the sticks.


*But it is wicked hot in July and I hate having to squint through the haze of the scorching parking lot to see woolly scarves.


*Giddy about the beans.  I didn't think I liked canned beans.


*I do like canned beans.  At least the ones I can myself.  


*So tender...so flavorful...so delightful to eat on a cold winter's day when summer and inappropriately placed wool scarves are just a memory.


*Let us not discuss how early I am going to have to get up to can beans if I'm gonna beat the heat over the next few days.


*I read some stuff.  


*I finished Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, Book 1).


*Then I read A Local Habitation (October Daye, Book 2).


*And, of course, An Artificial Night (October Daye, Book 3).


*I'm almost through Late Eclipses (October Daye, Book 4).  Should have it wrapped up tonight.


*These are what I like to call Fun Books.  Fun to read...Fun, fun, fun!!


*I am only reading them because I read Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1).


*Same author, different name...very different book.


*It is not a Fun Book.  


*It starts off as an I-Don't-See-Why-Everyone-Says-This-Is-So-Great-Book.


*And fools you into thinking you know exactly what is happening.  


*Until the unthinkable happens...


*And you're left sitting all teary-eyed in a tub filled with water long-since cooled.


*Had to read Deadline (Newsflesh, Book 2).


*Not nearly as powerful, but heartbreaking in its own way.  And moves the story in a direction that maybe takes away a little of the first novel's impact.


*But I'm OK with that.


*It's a trilogy so I'll be looking for the next one.


*While I continue looking for zombies because, in this universe, EVERYONE is the potential zombie.


*Yup.  Everyone is infected.  Not a spoiler warning.  It's pretty up front.


*A few people commented on my having to get my car inspected.


*It's a state requirement.  Your car has to meet certain standards in order to be considered worthy of a sticker.


*No sticker=ticket.


* I was a month overdue and there is no way on God's green earth my car should have passed.


*Or maybe it was fine and I have no idea what "passing" entails.  I don't care.  I drove around proudly today with my shiny new sticker.


*For what its worth, Maine does not require emissions testing.  We thought about it and almost did it.


*Then we said something like, "Clean air is for wimps!!" and dropped the whole idea.


*We like working blinkers and brake lights.  We are, apparently, not so concerned with what is being spewed from our tailpipes...


*Probably contributing to global warming.


*Which might explain why I'm bracing myself for the next few days and the searing heat...

So that was today.  All in all, I was pretty pleased with the whole deal and the amount of beans currently in my home.  I have a goodly amount of canning ahead of me and will probably hate every single one of those beans while they are being processed, but it will be worth it in the long run.  And besides, the heat won't last forever.

Summer is kind of brief when you think about it...

SA

5 comments:

Lynne said...

In NSW, we have to have an annual inspection - brakes, blinkers etc plus emissions; that has been standard for at least the thirty years I have been driving!

sheep#100 said...

I sure hope my hair doesn't start to melt. It's so hot here that a teenager was apprehended streaking across a local gofl course. One way to beat the heat, I suppose.

My word verification pretty much sums up recent weather patterns and my opinion of them: poopp.

No joke.

Carrie#K said...

I didn't realize there were two more October Daye books out. I am NOT going to read her other series! No sobbing for me over a book.

Yay for passing inspection! CA only requires smog. And shh, I hear our recent cool summer temperatures (70's) are due to Global Warming and now I am secretly rooting for it. I know. I'm bad.

catsmum said...

okay now you've got me worried - I have the first Newsflesh book on reserve at the library and now I'm wondering if I can handle it ... but you were SO right about Mike Carey so I have to trust you

Plante Comestibles Blog said...

Thanks for a greeat read